• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brock or Cilan?

Better Traveling Companion for Ash

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
And older character like Brock could have been refreshed through new subplots,new clothes,new pokemon and direction in which his character could start heading.

Writers could revamp Brocks character to make him more interesting by revealing more of his past,starting to focus on some of his interest,introduce missing links from past and issues which werent brought up before.Brock had potential as character and still has being possible to flesh him out more but unfortunately writers left it go to waste instead of utilizing his character properly.

Also being new has nothing to do with interacting between characters being better.It depends on character personalities and interest how much they will have in common to properly interact and have enjoyable dynamic.Ash and Tam Rocket are ancient characters but they interact with new ones fine.May and Misty were older characters but when meting each other or when she met Dawn thy interacted nicely building up intriguing chemistry.,

May and Max were new characters to Brock but he still interacted with them far better than i can say for Dawn with who their friendship was on edge of being like strangers.
Writers doing their job lam with Sinnoh group has nothing to do with Brock being in show longer than Dawn did.

Many anime which dont change cast has their characters for years opening new fresh things about them and stories building up dynamic and relationship which start to change as they gradually develop and grow.

It seems to m you gave up on Brock character long time ago and any possibility of his character being worthwhile again which is fine though keep in mind how not everyone share same view about this.

I didn't give up on Brock, the writers did and that is the whole point. Why should I care about a character if the writers themselves don't? I won't bring up any old character anymore because this isn't the place for the M girls talk, but they didn't revamp Brock because they didn't have to. Bringing him back for DP was a lazy situation. I don't speak for anyone but myself but I bet many people were excited to see that early Ash/Paul/Dawn teaser poster of DP. I don't know why they thought Brock's character would still work if they were not going to do anything with him. He pretty much did the same thing he's been doing for years the only difference is he didn't bond with the regional girl, and your kidding yourself if you think that wasn't a factor as to why his character didn't return for Best Wishes. Cilan's character works for all the reason's I already stated but if he lasted as long as Brock does and follow exactly the same route his character will suffer like Brock's did.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Dent, I like Takeshi but Dent is a lot more fun, right now he is my favourite traveling companion ever.

Last edited:

Eidolos

Bug Maniac
Tracey travelled with Ash, so where is the Tracey option? That's who I like better.
Whatever, I'll ignore that and answer the question. Cilan. He doesn't chase after girls like Brock does. It was funny in the beginning, but by Jotho it got old. Also, Cilan is sexy, and Brock is ugly.

I agree with the Tracey thing, I thought Tracey was a 1000 times better than any of his companions. But I'll go with Brock on this one. I just love his character, apart from the fact that he is in all likeliness a nympho :p

Wolfgirl44

Ignitionshipper
I like Cilan better. Even if Brock were still the awesome guy he was back in the day, I'd like Cilan better. He just has the more entertaining personality.

Vaizor

The One and Only
Cilan. I really like his personality, way more than Brock's. Cilan has a certain vibe to him; I'm sure if he were to flirt with a girl, he'd get her after 15 seconds. Cilan certainly exhibits more emotion, and being a Pokemon Connoisseur helps alot, with the recipes of battles and Pokemon and what not. In the episode when Cilan and that girl (forgot her name) battled, Cilan made a deal that if he loses, Ash had to replace his whole team. Cilan was so certain he would win, and he did, having a perfect connection with his Pokemon. I don't think I've ever seen Brock like that. All in all, Cilan is awesome and has my vote.

pokemon fan 132

I didn't give up on Brock, the writers did and that is the whole point. Why should I care about a character if the writers themselves don't? I won't bring up any old character anymore because this isn't the place for the M girls talk, but they didn't revamp Brock because they didn't have to. Bringing him back for DP was a lazy situation. I don't speak for anyone but myself but I bet many people were excited to see that early Ash/Paul/Dawn teaser poster of DP. I don't know why they thought Brock's character would still work if they were not going to do anything with him. He pretty much did the same thing he's been doing for years the only difference is he didn't bond with the regional girl, and your kidding yourself if you think that wasn't a factor as to why his character didn't return for Best Wishes.

I dont think its so much about writers not caring for Brock character.Otherwise they wouldnt kept him for all this years as well giving him some nice development during his run.Could thy done more?

Absolutely,but it seems to me how thy probably didnt see need to increase Brock role being content with his purpose of "older caretaker for group who keeps everyone in check.Also like you mentioned his goal of being breeder since it didnt had any benchmarks through which it could be showed visible progress kinda stopped whole thing in track.Competitions arent necessarily though they help,but when your not a battler either this really creates a problem to have someone become more actively involved.

Brock was treated more or less good until Sinnoh came on stage.Since majority of focus was distributed on expansion of two co-stars friendship and stories this caused Brock to be left behind starting to feel out of place.

Reason why Brock got replaced wasnt because he didnt "worked" either.Writers could replace him already at end of Johto or Hoenn but they didnt.
Several changes in BW games excluding contests from main picture along with,portraying Unova as very far and isolated region was pretty much main reason why Brock got replaced.

Since 5th generation send out vibe of being more of a "fresh start"than previous ones,writers probably wanted to mirror those changes with anime explaining why they went back to status of one protagonist and two sidekicks bringing another new character to group.If games werent revamped so much BRock would most likely stay past DP.

Cilan's character works for all the reason's I already stated but if he lasted as long as Brock does and follow exactly the same route his character will suffer like Brock's did.

If Cilan stayed for as long as Brock did with writers treating him properly and keeping his character active through various hobbies along with progressing his goal having him play some role in anime storyline(Like he dos now),there is no any reason to assume how his character would start to stagnate.

Not sure how you feel about Ash and TR but despite being kept for so long they still have very strong following with people enjoying in them.Even with Brock majority was more or less content with what he got(in Kanto and Hoenn,Johto not so much) until he got shafted more in favor of Dawn and Ash.
Just look at many other anime like Naruto,One Piece,Bleach etc which keep their cast same gradually developing them over the years keeping them active.Fans still enjoy in them bieng satisfied with their roles.

If writers kept him giving him things to do along with revamping story abit with few changes people would have no problem in seeing continuation of Cilan story.Same goes for any other past and future character.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I dont think its so much about writers not caring for Brock character.Otherwise they wouldnt kept him for all this years as well giving him some nice development during his run.Could thy done more?

Absolutely,but it seems to me how thy probably didnt see need to increase Brock role being content with his purpose of "older caretaker for group who keeps everyone in check.Also like you mentioned his goal of being breeder since it didnt had any benchmarks through which it could be showed visible progress kinda stopped whole thing in track.Competitions arent necessarily though they help,but when your not a battler either this really creates a problem to have someone become more actively involved.

Brock was treated more or less good until Sinnoh came on stage.Since majority of focus was distributed on expansion of two co-stars friendship and stories this caused Brock to be left behind starting to feel out of place.

Reason why Brock got replaced wasnt because he didnt "worked" either.Writers could replace him already at end of Johto or Hoenn but they didnt.
Several changes in BW games excluding contests from main picture along with,portraying Unova as very far and isolated region was pretty much main reason why Brock got replaced.

Since 5th generation send out vibe of being more of a "fresh start"than previous ones,writers probably wanted to mirror those changes with anime explaining why they went back to status of one protagonist and two sidekicks bringing another new character to group.If games werent revamped so much BRock would most likely stay past DP.

If Cilan stayed for as long as Brock did with writers treating him properly and keeping his character active through various hobbies along with progressing his goal having him play some role in anime storyline(Like he dos now),there is no any reason to assume how his character would start to stagnate.

Not sure how you feel about Ash and TR but despite being kept for so long they still have very strong following with people enjoying in them.Even with Brock majority was more or less content with what he got(in Kanto and Hoenn,Johto not so much) until he got shafted more in favor of Dawn and Ash.
Just look at many other anime like Naruto,One Piece,Bleach etc which keep their cast same gradually developing them over the years keeping them active.Fans still enjoy in them bieng satisfied with their roles.

If writers kept him giving him things to do along with revamping story abit with few changes people would have no problem in seeing continuation of Cilan story.Same goes for any other past and future character.

I didn't say Brock being old was why the got rid of him, I said it was a factor not the main reason. As for the new vibe of gen 5 if that was the case they could have just axed Ash off as well, had him win the Sinnoh league and end him. They already treat him like a new trainer most of BW anyway and with no Pikachu's in BW this was the perfect time. I honestly don't think Brock would have stayed past DP whether BW was fresh new or not. The group would have just been Ash, Brock, girl, again and after DP I think the writers learned what they needed to change so they did. Just look at all the positive feedback of Cilan on this thread. There are some negatives but Cilan is mostly well received and to be honest I doubt Brock's character would ever get this kind of positive feedback if he had stayed for BW. I don't know that for sure, I'm stating my opinion not fact and this has nothing to do against Brock's character which I like. Sometimes change is necessary even if it is small, especially when a show has 700 episodes of the same plot over and over again.

pokemon fan 132

I didn't say Brock being old was why the got rid of him, I said it was a factor not the main reason. As for the new vibe of gen 5 if that was the case they could have just axed Ash off as well, had him win the Sinnoh league and end him. They already treat him like a new trainer most of BW anyway and with no Pikachu's in BW this was the perfect time. I honestly don't think Brock would have stayed past DP whether BW was fresh new or not. The group would have just been Ash, Brock, girl, again and after DP I think the writers learned what they needed to change so they did.

Reason why Ash wasnt replaced is because he isnt expendable while others are.He is main face of pokemon anime and driving force with whole show revolving around his journey and quest of becoming pokemon master.Not to mention Pikachu is main mascot of pokemon franchise and since they already have trainer with it there is no need to replace him at all.

Fact that older pokemo0n dont appear at all in BW with little to none references being provided to past regions and characters make it seem how main reason behind this was mostly to mirror changes which happened in games which may be main reason behind Brock departure.
Like i said writers had several occasions to get rid of him,like at end of Johto,Hoenn or BF but they kept him replacing his character exactly when games got rebooted more than it was case in past.

I doubt this was just coincidence.

About Ash being reverted i think people are exaggerating with whole thing abit.Ash has been hammered but he certainly wasnt brought back to starting point showing more of maturity than he did in his starting days utilizing some knowledge in current series he gained over the years.He doesnt even act anymore like he used to in few first BW episodes actually using head when battling and reacting much differently to Iris teasing than he did when Misty was around being immature and much more naive.

Just look at all the positive feedback of Cilan on this thread. There are some negatives but Cilan is mostly well received and to be honest I doubt Brock's character would ever get this kind of positive feedback if he had stayed for BW. I don't know that for sure, I'm stating my opinion not fact and this has nothing to do against Brock's character which I like. Sometimes change is necessary even if it is small, especially when a show has 700 episodes of the same plot over and over again.

Cilan is new character so its pretty much a given how at start there will be hype among fans with same going for Iris.Each time new character gets introduced or older one makes return after long time people are excited and hyped up.
You should see how much excited people were when Brock returned after Orange Islands hiatus or when May and Misty returned just for cameos.

Polls in reality never give accurate picture of what is general consensus among fans.Many of them never post or come to forums at all.Sure Cilan is liked and it may seem that he is preferred in here,but i can assure you how Brock is still very popular having many fans.

I agree that for a long running shows like pokemon sometimes change is necessary but that change can be achieved without replacing characters doing new/fresh things with them.Many long running shows like Naruto,One Piece,Bleach etc make sure to add changes while keeping cast same.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Reason why Ash wasnt replaced is because he isnt expendable while others are.He is main face of pokemon anime and driving force with whole show revolving around his journey and quest of becoming pokemon master.Not to mention Pikachu is main mascot of pokemon franchise and since they already have trainer with it there is no need to replace him at all.

Fact that older pokemo0n dont appear at all in BW with little to none references being provided to past regions and characters make it seem how main reason behind this was mostly to mirror changes which happened in games which may be main reason behind Brock departure.
Like i said writers had several occasions to get rid of him,like at end of Johto,Hoenn or BF but they kept him replacing his character exactly when games got rebooted more than it was case in past.

I doubt this was just coincidence.

About Ash being reverted i think people are exaggerating with whole thing abit.Ash has been hammered but he certainly wasnt brought back to starting point showing more of maturity than he did in his starting days utilizing some knowledge in current series he gained over the years.He doesnt even act anymore like he used to in few first BW episodes actually using head when battling and reacting much differently to Iris teasing than he did when Misty was around being immature and much more naive.

Cilan is new character so its pretty much a given how at start there will be hype among fans with same going for Iris.Each time new character gets introduced or older one makes return after long time people are excited and hyped up.
You should see how much excited people were when Brock returned after Orange Islands hiatus or when May and Misty returned just for cameos.

Polls in reality never give accurate picture of what is general consensus among fans.Many of them never post or come to forums at all.Sure Cilan is liked and it may seem that he is preferred in here,but i can assure you how Brock is still very popular having many fans.

I agree that for a long running shows like pokemon sometimes change is necessary but that change can be achieved without replacing characters doing new/fresh things with them.Many long running shows like Naruto,One Piece,Bleach etc make sure to add changes while keeping cast same.

Before DP there was no urgent need to consider if Brock should leave or not. DP was the turning point showing that Brock can't interact will with every new character. I'm certain the writers wanted a fresh new vibe with BW but I seriously doubt they forgot how much Brock's character actually dropped at this point because in reality they could have kept Brock if they really wanted to, Hoenn was almost as much of a fresh start as BW but Brock came back anyway so the same could have applied here. Yes I know people get excited when old characters return. But let me ask you this, do you think Brock would have got the same reaction if he was confirmed to stay in BW right after DP, that say May or to humor you Misty got for their cameos? The M girls got major fanfare and hype for their cameos, can you honestly say Brock would get the same if he had never left from DP to BW? I should make a poll about that.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I actually like Cilan better so far. Maybe by interpretation has been warped about Brock from the DP Saga.

pokemon fan 132

Before DP there was no urgent need to consider if Brock should leave or not. DP was the turning point showing that Brock can't interact will with every new character. I'm certain the writers wanted a fresh new vibe with BW but I seriously doubt they forgot how much Brock's character actually dropped at this point because in reality they could have kept Brock if they really wanted to, Hoenn was almost as much of a fresh start as BW but Brock came back anyway so the same could have applied here.

Hoenn and Sinnoh were in a way treated as "new start"but difference is that BW is portrayed as more of a fresh start than ever before with no references to past and older characters being made,contests being dropped,Unova being portrayed as far and isolated region not containing older pokemon etc.

Like i mentioned earlier how well some character will get along with new characters depends on huge part on how much they are going to have in common or have something through which they could easier relate.

In original series reason why Brock and Misty had good chemistry was because they were both gym leaders having some things in common as well sharing same views about some things like romance complimenting each other both through differences and similarities.
With AG group Brock had Max with who he had things in common both having big knowledge about pokemon helping Ash in pokemon battles with their tips.Max also admired Brocks skills as breeder and overall knowledge being easier for their characters to relate to each other.
Hoenn not being focused so much on expansion of main girl story being treated like almost equal to Ash like it was case with DP heroine also helped Brock to have time to interact more with May resulting in having more memorable moments than i can say for Dawn.

Main problem with Sinnoh was that show was too much focused on development of Ash and Dawn stories and their portrayal as equals which resulted in Brock often being left behind.He had some moments in Sinnoh with them but not as much like i can say for previous groups.

In Unova it depends on character if Brock will have some things in common which could allow for good dynamic,This of course isnt necessary but it certainly helps.
However change of formula to only on main star would certainly go in his favor since there would be more available screen time for writers to distribute among characters with Brock having better chance to establish some memorable relationship with others.

Yes I know people get excited when old characters return. But let me ask you this, do you think Brock would have got the same reaction if he was confirmed to stay in BW right after DP, that say May or to humor you Misty got for their cameos? The M girls got major fanfare and hype for their cameos, can you honestly say Brock would get the same if he had never left from DP to BW? I should make a poll about that.

If Brock returned right away for Unova reactions would be pretty divided and same like they were for DP more or less with some liking that he wasnt replaced while others complaining how "Brock is stale,horrible"etc,etc,etc.

If Brock returned right away people wouldnt get too much excited butif he was absent for longer period of time like its case with some other characters you can bet how reactions from people would be vastly different being much more interested in Brocks return than they would be now.Which is normal since long gone characters are missed by people.

With May and Misty granted there always was present more of a hype and if they appeared or returned to main cast(especially those who were gone for years like Misty)excitement would be probably bigger than its case for Brock but i suppose how fact of having stronger following is responsible for this too.

Kibagos

FairyDragon Queen~
Dent/Cilian! I like him better and he's more fun :)

KingBravest

Now that you think about it did Dawn ever say a word to Brock? They surely werent the best of friends... maybe Brock didnt like her hogging the spotlight. Anyways

At there best Dent and Brock are very different and great traveling companions and friends, but im happy Dent is here Brock had his time so no hard fillings. So yeah there equal to me its just Dent's time to shine.

Someone said it would have been nice for Brock to have stayed and get new clothes and see old mix with the new environment , but thats what ash is for. If ash brings elements from his past up thats for the writters to decide.

CupidKirby

I'm saying sorry to my childhood in advance, but I'd have to go with Cilan. I loved Brock pre-AG, I really did. But his character was never really unique for me. He was just a guy who flirted a lot and cooked. You can find a lot of characters like that in shows these days.

In the episode when Cilan and that girl (forgot her name) battled, Cilan made a deal that if he loses, Ash had to replace his whole team.

Although Kanto was Brock at his best, Cilan also has this ability to create "Oh S***" moments that Brock was always lacking.

Necro101

Brock was awesome he is the best(well not realy but I think he is beter thane Cilan)

Look people Brock traveld for years with Ash( Even do Ash is still 10 and his voice sounded more mature in Diamond and Pearl)He made an impact on Pokemon made trainer realize thing he came back after Tracy has knowlidge more thane Cilan cause he traveld more and why did people vot Cilan Tell me on my visitor message...
He is a good trainer has good tips for trainers.. But I have to admit Brock was geting less and less new stuff and in D/P he just gave his knowledge away to trainers (Ahs and Dawn) and never got thank... So I have to go so thate conclueds for now. nd I think all they wanted was a fresh new start.

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
Brock was a overused gag that carried pokemon with him.

This.

Brock sucked. Like, there was nothing good about him by the time he left. If Tracey didn't exist, he'd be the worst main character in Pokemon we've ever had.

Cilan is much more likeable and a better character overall. His flawlessness actually works for him.

CupidKirby

Look people Brock traveld for years with Ash( Even do Ash is still 10 and his voice sounded more mature in Diamond and Pearl)He made an impact on Pokemon made trainer realize thing he came back after Tracy has knowlidge more thane Cilan cause he traveld more and why did people vot Cilan Tell me on my visitor message...
He is a good trainer has good tips for trainers.. But I have to admit Brock was geting less and less new stuff and in D/P he just gave his knowledge away to trainers (Ahs and Dawn) and never got thank... So I have to go so thate conclueds for now. nd I think all they wanted was a fresh new start.

I guess people are just looking at Brock and Cilan in terms of who they like better currently and as a whole. Letting nostalgia or quantity of time we've known a character get in the way is what a lot of us try to avoid.

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
Brock wishes he was as epic as Cilan. (You know he'd want his own legion of fangirls)

His tasting time never gets old to me.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I love Brock better! He used to be my crush when I was little hehehe...

I miss how he goes gaga for girls, nya~

For Cilan, he's cool aswell in the game and in the Anime xD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.