• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Broken Promise: The Story of Ash's Pidgeot (Rated PG)

AmericanPi

Write on
It's OK, we understand. Just make sure the next chapter will be worth the wait, OK? :) I like the new chapter, BTW.

Well... because I'll have a long time to work on it, the next chapter will probably be longer than the other chapters, so it'll probably be worth the wait. ;)

Tepig 5000

Darkness Filled Me
Thats a pretty good chapter how far is ash along is he still in johto in your fanfic

StarMasterWarrior

the prince of stars
Can I be on the pm list? btw, this fanfic is epicly uber epicness. I wonder.... at the end maybe Thunder and Lightning will beome mates AND still live with ash? who knows.

AmericanPi

Write on
Well, my hiatus is over! I'm sorry I made you wait so long for this chapter. This chapter is considerably longer than the other chapters though, so I hope it's worth the wait. ;)

CHAPTER 13

Wind rushed through my feathers as I narrowed my eyes at the horizon, flying over the enormous buildings of Goldenrod City at a breakneck pace. Determined not to look behind me, I took a deep breath and accelerated to my top speed. The chaotic clamor of the city streets below faded into a distant whisper as I sliced cleanly through the tearing wind.

Suddenly, I perceived a change in my surroundings. The cold, gray skyscrapers of the city gave way to the lush, green trees of the countryside. Taking a deep breath, I gradually slowed down my flight. I spotted a nearby tree, circled around it a few times, and landed on its thickest branch.

A few quick breaths gave away Lightning’s presence, and I turned to see him land heavily next to me – apparently, he hadn’t expected me to fly so fast. He breathed deeply a few times before running his beak quickly through his ruffled feathers.

As I waited for Lightning to regain his strength, I closed my eyes and sighed. The fact that Lightning loved me – it was unavoidable, like a keen-eyed Fearow’s speedy Aerial Ace attack. Love, I thought, confused. Such an unfamiliar word. I shook my head. Lightning’s handsome, but we can’t be together. Our trainers live too far apart – Falkner in Violet City, Ash on the path to the Pokemon League. I stamped my foot angrily. Why am I even admitting that Lightning is handsome? Unless…

“Um, Thunder?” Lightning’s voice sliced through my ribbon of thought like a Scyther’s vicious Slash attack. “I thought… we needed to talk.”

“Right,” I said slowly, turning to face him. I almost flinched when I saw the lonely, hurt expression on his face. Why did I have to hurt his feelings? I thought guiltily. I shook my head, deciding not to think about it for now.

“Well, there are two things, both of which are related to the progression of our journey,” I began. “First of all, now I know the true identity of Nature Hunter K.”

“Yes,” Lightning said. “Before you fainted from the battle against K’s Pokemon, you gasped, ‘Nature Hunter K is Falkner’s sister’.” He looked down, thinking. “How is that possible?”

I sighed in exasperation. “Don’t you remember the time Falkner received that letter from his sister, back when we were staying in the Azalea Town gym?” I asked. “His sister threatened to use nature to become the greatest Flying-type trainer of them all.”

Lightning cocked his head. “She said that?” he asked, surprised. “Truthfully, I completely forgot what that letter said. It was so long ago!”

“Lightning, how can you possibly forget about something that important?” I hissed, barely resisting the urge to yank the forgetful male Pidgeot’s plumes with my beak. “Falkner’s sister said that she was going to use nature – and who is more obsessed with a Pokemon’s nature than Nature Hunter K?”

Lightning closed his eyes, thinking. “Nature Hunter K catches Pokemon that have ‘good natures’,” he said slowly. “So she is using nature to become a powerful Flying-type trainer!” Lightning sighed. “And here I thought that ‘nature’ meant plants and trees and such.”

I smiled, trying hard not to feel a sense of smugness. “You see, Lightning, sometimes you just need to think,” I said good-naturedly. “Sometimes, you have to think out of the box – words may have more than one meaning.”

“Right,” Lightning said warmly. “You know, Thunder, you’re the smartest Pokemon I know.”

I shrugged uncomfortably. “Oh, I believe there are more intelligent Pokemon out there,” I said quickly, running my beak a few times through my chest feathers. “Well anyways, there is more evidence that Nature Hunter is Falkner’s sister.”

Lightning sighed. “Like what?”

“First of all, her Pokemon,” I explained quickly. “Falkner’s sister said that she had a Skarmory, Golbat, Gyarados, and Charizard. Nature Hunter K has a Skarmory, Golbat, Gyarados, and Charizard – we ‘met’ them during our most recent battle. Also – are you listening? – K looks a lot like Falkner. I mean, the two of them have the same dark blue hair, the same light blue eyes, and even the same hairstyle.”

“Wow, you’re right,” Lightning said, sighing. “Now that I’m actually thinking about it, K has a lot of qualities that give away the fact that she’s Falkner’s sister.” He launched into the air so suddenly and quickly that the small green leaves on the tree trembled violently in the gust of wind he generated.

“Whoa, Lightning!” I exclaimed. “Where do you think you’re going?”

“Back to Violet City, of course!” Lightning yelled back. “I mean, I’ve got to tell Falkner that we’ve found his sister!”

“Wait a second, Lightning,” I said firmly, and Lightning sighed and landed back onto the branch.

“Seriously, Thunder?” Lightning asked grumpily. “What could possibly be more important than warning Falkner?”

“Lightning, we can’t even speak the human language,” I said, exasperated at Lightning’s stupidity. “How are we supposed to tell Falkner that we found his sister? Sure, if we had Team Rocket’s over-intelligent Meowth with us right now, we could go back to Violet City. Actually, we wouldn’t be able to go back to Violet City, because Meowth can’t even fly.”

“True,” Lightning groaned. “But if Nature Hunter K ever goes back to Violet City to challenge her brother, we need to be there for him!”

“Falkner can wait,” I said adamantly, “because if I remember correctly Nature Hunter K only wanted to challenge him to a battle after she obtained her good-natured Pidgeot – me. And by the way, I had a horrible nightmare while I was lying unconscious in the Pokemon Center, and it is much more imperative than K and Falkner’s battle.”

Now it was Lightning’s turn to be exasperated. “Thunder, considering your practicality, I don’t think you’d believe in a dream in a million years.”

My feet shifted uncomfortably on the tree branch. “But it had Ash in it,” I said lamely.

“But really though, it was still just a dream.”

“Lightning, it’s a nightmare, and a really important one. Can’t I just tell you what happened in it?”

“If it makes you happy, fine.

“All right,” I said happily, and I told him everything in full detail – standing on the ground floor of a dilapidated wooden tower, groaning in pain from the monstrous shiny Noctowl’s powerful psychic attacks, and staring in disbelief as Evil Ash said that he didn’t like me because Noctowl was more powerful than me.

“Hmm,” Lightning said once my story was over. “You know, I think Darkrai was trying to tell you why Ash broke his promise to you.”

“Exactly,” I sighed. I closed my eyes, thinking. “But what should we do about this Noctowl? I’m not even sure if he is real.”

“Well,” murmured Lightning after a short pause, “Morty’s Gengar is weak to Psychic attacks.”

“Huh?” I asked lamely. “Who’s Morty?”

“The gym leader of Ecruteak City, whose Gengar is a Ghost-and-Poison type!” Lightning exclaimed. “Challengers of that gym often use Pokemon with Psychic attacks, because Poison is weak to Psychic.”

“I get it now,” I said slowly. “If Ash challenged the Ecruteak Gym in his journey, he probably used Noctowl against Morty’s Gengar.”

Lightning nodded. “And if we can find Morty’s Gengar and talk to him, then maybe we can find more about that mysterious Noctowl in your dream.”

“Yeah!” I exclaimed, launching into the air. “Come on; we’ve got a Gengar to visit.”

_^^_^^__^^___^^__^^_^^_​

A cool, gentle breeze ruffled my feathers as I perched on a high branch of a great oak tree. The faint early morning sun peeked tentatively out from behind a mass of dreary gray clouds, and the air carried the cool, damp scent of rain. A small group of Hoppip drifted over the rather large metropolis that sprawled in front of me – Ecruteak City.

The historical city looked almost as nostalgic as Violet. Traditional-style buildings, with beautifully curved tiled roofs, made up most of the structures in the metropolis. Gray stone pathways weaved among the quaint little structures, and a few tranquil blue ponds dotted the city, here and there. The most amazing and impressive structures I could see were the two enormous ancient-looking towers resting at the back of the city. They towered like giants over the rest of the buildings, reaching up to touch the sky. Both buildings looked very old, but one was well maintained while the other was dilapidated, wooden, and burnt.

I gasped. That second tower was familiar – I knew I’d seen it before, but I couldn’t exactly remember when or where. Then I recalled the nightmare I had when I left Goldenrod City. I closed my eyes, shivering as I remembered the enormous golden Noctowl with blazing red eyes. Painfully, I remembered everything: the old, dusty wooden tower room with floorboards that creaked from the ominous night wind, the Noctowl’s eyes glowing with an eerie blue light as it controlled my helpless body with Psychic, my body falling to the splintery wooden floor with a painful thud…

“I know that tower,” I whispered.

“Huh?” Lightning asked. He was perching next to me on the branch, surveying the city that sprawled before us. “What tower?”

“The old wooden tower over there,” I said, my eyes gazing at the burnt structure. “Remember the nightmare I had back at Goldenrod City, the one with the monstrous golden Noctowl? Well, I was in a dilapidated wooden building, which was all burnt and charred like that tower.”

Lightning followed my gaze, his eyes resting on the ancient structure. “If I remember correctly, that’s the Burnt Tower,” he said thoughtfully. “Hmm. If that tower was the setting of your nightmare, we can’t be too far away from finding that Noctowl.”

“Right,” I said, smiling. I giggled a little. “You know, Lightning, you’re starting to pick up some of my awesome intelligence.”

“You really think so?” Lightning asked, beaming. He gazed into my eyes. “Thanks, Thunder.”

For a short while, I looked back at him. The faint early morning sunlight reflected off his long, elegant plumes and turned them golden. I looked away uncomfortably, for I was beginning to feel strange and tingly inside. Lightning had never looked so handsome before, and I shook my head, confused. What was I doing? Why did I just let myself forget that Lightning was supposed to be just a friend? Heaving a quick sigh, I launched into the air and flapped my wings, trying to forget about what just happened.

“Thunder, what are you doing?” Lightning called from behind me.

“I’m doing what I came here for!” I snapped. “I need to find Morty’s Gengar!”

“Wait a second,” Lightning said sharply, following me. “Gengar’s a Ghost-type, and from my experience, Ghost Pokemon can be very difficult to deal with.”

“How can you be sure of that?” I asked, not really believing him.

“I’ve battled several of them at the Violet City gym,” Lightning explained patiently. “They’re really tricky. They can create illusions, vanish into thin air, and attack when you least expect it.”

I sighed and turned around to face him. “Oh, great,” I groaned. “Now what are we supposed to do?”

As if to answer my question, a deafening clap of thunder resonated from the dreary gray sky. A single drop of rain hit me squarely on my head, followed by another raindrop that bounced off my right wing. The rain picked up speed until it fell steadily in a medium shower, drumming softly on the curved tile roofs of Ecruteak City.

“I’m afraid we’ll have to postpone our ghost hunt,” Lightning said matter-of-factly. He looked around, searching for a place to seek shelter from the driving rain. “Aha,” he said as he spotted the Burnt Tower at the back of the city. “It should be safe in there.”

“Uh, are you sure?” I asked apprehensively, immediately recalling my terrifying nightmare. “It looks pretty… spooky.”

“Which is why we’re going there,” Lighting said confidently. “If I remember correctly, Ghost-type Pokemon like to hide in dark, scary places. If we seek shelter in that tower, we just might come across some of Morty’s ghosts.”

“All right; I trust you Lightning,” I said slowly as the first jagged lightning bolt of the storm fell from the sky. I gasped as it hit the Burnt Tower squarely on its tip, but a curious thing happened. Instead of zapping the fragile structure, the lightning bolt swerved, ran down the side of the building, and disappeared as it hit the ground.

“Whoa! How did that happen?” I asked, amazed.

“Lightning rod,” Lightning explained quickly. “Come on; I don’t want to get any wetter than I already am.” He flapped his wings and began his flight to the Burnt Tower.

I followed him, narrowing my eyes and focusing on our destination. As I got closer to the old wooden structure, I saw that it was equipped with a thick metal wire that ran from the top of the building to the ground. So that lightning rod safely leads all electricity to the ground, I thought, amazed at the intelligence of humans. But why would they want to protect such a dilapidated structure?

I followed Lightning through the front door of the building. Now that I was safely indoors, I sighed and shook all the rainwater out of my feathers.

“I’m so glad that we’re dry now,” I said as I looked around the ground floor of the building. It looked almost exactly like the ground floor in my nightmare, and I shuddered a little. “Okay, Lightning. Now that we’re here, what do we do?”

Lightning peered around the room. “I think we should search for Morty’s Ghost-type Pokemon,” he suggested. “Remember, if you see something very bizarre or scary, don’t panic. It’s probably just an illusion, and to stop it, just yell the words ‘We don’t want to hurt you guys’.”

“All right,” I said. Suddenly, a piercing, high-pitched shriek resonated from somewhere above me. I looked up and gasped.

“It can’t be!” I screamed.

“Huh?” Lightning asked. Then he looked up and his beak dropped open. “Is that the Noctowl from your dream?”

“Yes!” I yelled, terrified. The Noctowl was as enormous as ever, and had the same unusual golden feathers and blazing red eyes as the Noctowl in my dream. It emitted an ear-splitting shriek and dove towards me, wings folded as it executed an Aerial Ace attack.

My eyes darted wildly around the room. There was nowhere to fly except outside, where the terrifying thunderstorm still roared.

“We don’t want to hurt you guys!” Lightning yelled bravely, but his call did nothing to stop the giant Noctowl’s attack. Narrowing my eyes, I faced the gigantic Noctowl, readying a Steel Wing defense. I shielded myself with my metallic wings, closing my eyes and preparing for the devastating impact.

“Shadow, stop that right now!” A very angry male Pokemon’s voice resonated through the area. It had a mysterious, eerie hollowness to it, and I knew at once that it belonged to a Ghost-type Pokemon.

Slowly, I folded my wings, opened my eyes, and surveyed the scene that stood before me: the giant Noctowl had stopped in its tracks; a Gengar, who was clearly the source of the voice, stood at the foot of the old wooden stairs; and Lightning watched the scene half-terrified, half-bewildered.

“What?” complained a female Pokemon’s voice, which had the same ghostly, hollow quality to it as the Gengar’s voice. “Night, these two Pidgeot just barged into our home without asking!”

The Gengar, whose name was apparently Night, sighed. “Shadow, with that horrible storm going on outside, it’s clear that these two Pokemon just came in here to seek some shelter,” he said as he walked closer to the giant Noctowl – or at least the illusion of the giant Noctowl. “I know, I know, you’re just testing out your imitation of the shiny Noctowl that destroyed us four months ago. But I have to admit that it really isn’t a nice way to greet our tired guests.”

“Fine, fine,” Shadow groaned. I watched in amazement as the shiny Noctowl faded away into thin air. In its place floated a Haunter, a female with a rather annoyed expression on her face. I watched as she floated up the stairs and out of sight, muttering “ugh, he always catches me” as she left.

Lightning hopped over to me. “Are you all right?” he asked, with a concerned look on his face.

I shrugged. “I’m fine,” I said quickly. I eyed Night suspiciously. “Are all Ghost-type Pokemon like that?” I asked.

“Most of them,” Night sighed. “Truthfully, I enjoy a good scare now and then. But when our guests are wet, hungry, or tired, I don’t think it’s a really nice way to greet them.”

“No way,” I growled. “Especially because I know that Noctowl. I have a hunch that that Noctowl is why my trainer broke his promise to come back to me.”

“That kid named Ash is your trainer, eh?” Night asked with mild interest. He narrowed his eyes. “Why are you here? Ash passed through this place four months ago to destroy us at the Ecruteak Gym.”

“Well, you see, Ash released me a year ago in the Viridian Forest,” I explained uncomfortably. “He promised to come back for me, but he never has. That’s why I’m on a quest with Lightning here to find Ash again.” I glanced at Lightning with an expression on my face that clearly said, “You were right. Ghost-type Pokemon are rather tricky to deal with.”

“Night, I’m sorry if we’ve bothered you,” Lightning said diplomatically, sending back a look that screamed, “Don’t say anything rude to a Ghost-type!”

“Thunder had a really bad nightmare about Ash’s shiny Noctowl,” he continued calmly. “We figured that if there’s one gym leader’s Pokemon who’s battled against that powerful Flying-type, it’d be you.”

Night hissed angrily. “Don’t even mention that destroyer’s name! He’s an insult to the dignity of the Ghost-types!” He turned away and groaned.

“Night, I understand that you are still upset about your loss,” I said respectfully, “but all we need to know is how powerful that Noctowl is. Truthfully, I’m not too fond of that Flying-type, either. But I need to know more about him if I want to continue searching for Ash.”

Night sighed and turned to face me. “I don’t know how Noctowl grew to be so powerful,” he groaned. “Ash’s Cyndaquil and Totodile were wimpy, of course. But Noctowl… he’s a freaking Normal-type and he destroyed us all!”

“Please, Night,” I implored, “will you please kindly tell us about the battle? We’d be very grateful if you did.”

“All right,” Night said after a moment of consideration. “I’ll tell you about the horrible battle, but no interruptions of any kind, okay?”

“Okay,” Lightning said earnestly.

“Well,” he began, “Dusk, Morty’s Gastly, was up first, as usual. Ash sent out his overpowered Noctowl, which apparently surprised his friends because Noctowl was supposed to be the ‘secret weapon’. Dusk and Morty were both a bit worried, but not too much because Noctowl was a Normal-type and we ghosts can all disappear into thin air.

“But then, that stupid Noctowl used Foresight and identified us all. Once that happened, we couldn’t even disappear! Thankfully, Ash was one of the stupider challengers and constantly switched Noctowl with Cyndaquil and Totodile. They were both wimpy, of course. Before Morty’s second Pokemon, Shadow the Haunter, had fainted, Cyndaquil and Totodile were both down.

“And then… Ash used his overpowered Noctowl again, because it was his last Pokemon. Seriously, we were this close to destroying that lame old bird. But then that horrible thing had to learn how to use Confusion!” Night stamped his foot angrily. “Needless to say, we got destroyed after that freaking shiny Noctowl learned a Psychic-type move. Curse my stupid half-Poison typing.” He made an annoyed grumbling sound and floated away.

Lightning and I watched, perplexed, as Night floated up the stairs and disappeared from sight.

Lightning looked at me with a confused expression on his face. “Well,” he sighed, “Night must be really mad about that Noctowl.”

I nodded. “So mad about losing to a Normal-type that he didn’t even say goodbye to us,” I agreed bitterly. A terrible emotion was building up inside me – jealousy, rage, hatred, despair, and hopelessness all mixed up into a single horrible feeling. I turned away and closed my eyes. “That’s it,” I said listlessly as another loud clap of thunder shook the tower from base to tip, and a bright flash of lightning lit up the sky.

Lightning gasped. “Thunder, no,” he hissed. “This isn’t like you, at all. You visited the Violet City gym three months ago, determined to find Ash and asking me to help. I’ve sacrificed the comfort and glory of being Falkner’s best battler, and we’ve been through so many troubles together. How can you give up now, after everything we’ve been through?”

I sighed, not looking at him. “There’s no point in continuing our journey,” I said listlessly. “I know why Ash broke his promise now. I’ve been replaced.”

“You have not,” Lightning said sharply. “Just because Ash has another bird Pokemon now doesn’t mean he’s forgotten about you!”

“Forget it, Lightning,” I groaned. “He said he’d come back to me after running an errand for Professor Oak, but he didn’t. Why didn’t he come back? Noctowl, of course. It all makes sense: Noctowl is shiny, while I am not. Noctowl has psychic powers, and I don’t.” I sighed again. “I’m not stupid. I’m not going on a journey to find a trainer who doesn’t even love me.” With that, I launched into the air.

“Wait, Thunder!” Lightning called. His voice turned quiet. “What about me?”

Hesitantly, I turned around to face him. As I saw the hurt expression on his face, I cringed a little and landed in front of him.

I sighed. “I know what you’re going to say, Lightning,” I said softly. “But I need some time – some alone time – to think about it, I mean, everything that’s happened today.” I launched into the air again and hovered in front of him. “Just stay in the Burnt Tower, Lightning. If I come back by tomorrow morning, that means that I want to continue our journey. But if I don’t come back, that means that I’ve given up. If that happens, go back to Violet City. Don’t come looking for me, because I’ll be flying back to where I belong – Viridian Forest.” Without further ado, I turned and flew through the front door of the Burnt Tower.

I’d forgotten to check if the thunderstorm was still raging, but that didn’t matter because it wasn’t. Although the dreary, gray layer of rain clouds still hung stubbornly over the city, the cool breeze carried a new scent – the fresh, beautiful scent of the forest after a rain. I breathed the scent in deeply, feeling a little better.

I need to find somewhere to think, I thought as I scanned the city for a suitable place. As I spotted the other tower, the one that wasn’t ruined in any way, I smiled a little.

This looks like a good place, I thought as I swooped in for a closer look. After all, I kind of miss perching high above everyone else.

To be continued…

Last edited:

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
YEEEAAAAH! New chapter! And IMO, it was well worth the wait.

Ouch, though. Thunder feels like Noctowl replaced her. Even more horrible is that, in the minds of the writers, it kinda did.

I really am hoping for a happy ending to this, though. Obviously, I won't ask you to say whether or not it will be (massive plot spoiler), but I just hope there will be a happy ending.

On a more minor note, I also felt a little sorry for Night when he cursed his half-Poison typing, mainly because I'm obsessed with the Poison-type.

Overall, great chapter! Can't wait for the next one!

ChaosMudkip

Tepig Hunter

Ouch, though. Thunder feels like Noctowl replaced her. Even more horrible is that, in the minds of the writers, it kinda did.

I really am hoping for a happy ending to this, though. Obviously, I won't ask you to say whether or not it will be (massive plot spoiler), but I just hope there will be a happy ending.

On a more minor note, I also felt a little sorry for Night when he cursed his half-Poison typing, mainly because I'm obsessed with the Poison-type.

Overall, great chapter! Can't wait for the next one!

To be fair, that Poison type is kinda the curse of the gastly family, making the original psychic counter WEAK TO PSYCHIC. I personally loved the way those ghosts were made, very self-assured and angry. The theme of these gyms seems to be that the gym pokemon always complain about their personal bane in the previous battle, calling it overpowered to alleviate their own humiliation.

Edit: There is now a Dragonite on my userbar. Get yourself a Dragonite! That's right, a Dragonite! The OD of the OG!

Elision

Fall Apart.
I love this chapter! ^^

I think it's sad, I can't imagine Ash doing something like that. Replacing a Pokemon my foot! -_-

Good chapter. Nice job!

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
This fic is AMAZING! It has great story and the way you see into the everyday life of pokemon is extremely intriguing.

THis also makes me sad becaus in SS I abandoned my pidgeot after I beat the E4 and i replaced it with a dragonite. And in my next playthrough I used yes a noctowl. I feel so bad for abandoning my pidgeot.

ChaosMudkip

Tepig Hunter
This fic is AMAZING! It has great story and the way you see into the everyday life of pokemon is extremely intriguing.

THis also makes me sad becaus in SS I abandoned my pidgeot after I beat the E4 and i replaced it with a dragonite. And in my next playthrough I used yes a noctowl. I feel so bad for abandoning my pidgeot.

My sadness in the fic more revolves around my forever lost lvl 86 Pidgeot from my Crystal file. Why must you remove Pokemon transfer between 2nd and 3rd Gens, Nintendo? WHY?!?!

Tepig 5000

Darkness Filled Me
intense chapter tottaly wirth waiting 4

Great work

AmericanPi

Write on

Haha, you really love to say "YEEEAAAAH!" don't you? ;) And I'm sorry about Night cursing his half-Poison typing, but as ChaosMudkip said,

To be fair, that Poison type is kinda the curse of the gastly family, making the original psychic counter WEAK TO PSYCHIC.

So yeah. I'm sorry if I offended you or anything, because I know about your Poison-type obsession (yes, I've been reading The Adventure of Adventureness. ;110;).

I predict Ho-Oh will be involved soon.
Also, I liked the chapter, and even though I've only seen a few assorted anime episodes, I can understand the storyline well.

Well, actually... I didn't plan for Ho-oh to be involved with this fic (sorry!) Instead, Thunder will soon meet a rather unloved but awesome gym leader (Missingno. Master, you'll be surprised. ;))

Thanks for waiting everyone, and I'm glad you guys enjoyed the fic! ;018;

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
Well, actually... I didn't plan for Ho-oh to be involved with this fic (sorry!) Instead, Thunder will soon meet a rather unloved but awesome gym leader (Missingno. Master, you'll be surprised. ;))

Thanks for waiting everyone, and I'm glad you guys enjoyed the fic! ;018;

Well well well. Either she is running into Koga or Janine. I wonder which. No need to tell me if I am correct though. And if I am not then you have me stumped as to who she meets.

AmericanPi

Write on
CHAPTER 14

As I flew closer to the magnificent tower, something shiny caught my eye. It was a gem, a beautiful, pink, heart-shaped gem. It lay, deserted but still in good shape, between two shingles on one of the tower’s higher roofs. Despite my current situation and mood, the wonderful jewel stirred my curiosity. I landed lightly next to it and carefully examined the precious trinket.

I wonder how it got here, I thought as I picked up the Oran Berry-sized gem with my beak. As the jewel lay tightly grasped in my bill, I realized that it was actually a necklace – both ends of a single string were attached to the gem.

It’s just a random human girl’s trinket, I thought, about to put it down. Then another thought struck me. But what kind of girl would lose a necklace way up here? My curiosity about the necklace and its origin was too strong to resist, so I tossed the necklace so that its string landed and rested comfortably around my neck. With the gem gently touching my chest, I sighed, launched into the air again, and flew towards the top of the tower.

Before I could think about anything, however, some dark-colored, heavy, falling object crashed into me. Grunting in pain, I fell back down to the roof where I found the necklace.

“Ow…” I groaned, rubbing my sore beak with my wing. I had fallen on my back, which was now aching with pain. With a grunt, I forced myself back onto my feet.

“All right. Who or what was that?” I demanded as I looked all around me. There was no one on the roof but myself, however, and I sighed in sheer annoyance. But then, just as I was about to launch into the air again, I spotted a pair of delicate human hands tightly gripping the awning of the roof. There was a quick grunting sound, and the owner of the hands – a caped, purple-haired girl of about thirteen – leapt skillfully onto the shingles of the roof.

The girl looked almost exactly like a true ninja. Her dark purple hair was tied into a bun, probably to avoid the possibility of hair strands falling over her eyes and impairing her vision. She wore the attire of the night-loving ninja: a tight, dark purple sweater; a pair of long, black pants; and a pure black cape that matched the colors of the dark, shadowy night.

The girl eyed me suspiciously. “You’d better not be Falkner’s Pidgeot,” she hissed.

Huh? I thought, confused.

“Whoa…” the girl breathed in awe. Slowly, she sat down onto the roof shingles and rubbed her eyes. She stared at me as if I were a new species of Pokemon. “Did you just… talk without opening your beak?”

Okay, this is getting very weird, I thought uncomfortably. Now, what did I just do?

“There! You did it again!” the girl gasped. She shook her head. “This is crazy. Either I’m dreaming or I’ve just met a talking Pokemon.”

I closed my eyes, thinking. I think I know what’s happening, I thought slowly. I think it’s this necklace I’m wearing. Apparently, this gem allows me to communicate with humans through telepathy.

“Wow,” the girl said quietly. She scooted a bit closer to me. “Are you special, or do all Pokemon have thoughts and emotions?”

You don’t know? I asked, surprised. Of course every Pokemon has thoughts, feelings, and personalities. Seriously, if you give this necklace to any Pokemon, I’m pretty certain that it would convey its feelings and thoughts to you.

“Wow,” the girl said quietly, recovering from her surprised state. “I never knew that my necklace could do that… or the fact that Pokemon have feelings and personalities. Man, if I had known that earlier, I wouldn’t be here.”

]This is your necklace? I asked. Oh… here, you can have it back, and…

The girl shook her head, interrupting me. “I must have dropped it during my ninja-training. It’s okay. I don’t want it anymore,” she said firmly. “Falkner is a jerk, anyways.”

What? I thought indignantly. First of all, Falkner’s really nice. Second of all, what does he have to do with all this?

The girl sighed and narrowed her eyes at me. “You aren’t Falkner’s Pidgeot, are you?” she asked.

No, I thought. I’m a wild Pidgeot… my name’s Thunder. Lightning, Falkner’s Pidgeot, was helping me on my journey to find my former trainer. I shook my head. How can you possibly call Falkner a jerk? He’s always ready to help any Flying-type Pokemon in need, and he’s a really skilled gym leader. Have you ever seen his Pokemon in action?

“Thunder, you don’t know what I’ve been through,” the girl groaned. “Sure, you may think Falkner is so awesome, but to me…” she looked away. “It’s a long, long story.”

Can I hear it? I asked politely. I shrugged. Seriously, I don’t really have anything else to do.

“All right,” the girl said slowly. “But promise you won’t tell anyone about this, okay?”

I promise, I thought resolutely. I promise I won’t tell.

“Thank you,” the girl sighed. “Now, first of all…”

~~~~Alternative Point of View:~~~~
~~~Lightning~~~​

Loneliness. Frustration. Boredom.

I perched on the highest roof of the Burnt Tower, dejection welling up inside me as I gazed listlessly down at the sprawling Ecruteak City. The view was beautiful – there was no higher place in the whole entire metropolis except for the top of the nearby Bell Tower. I desperately wanted to fly there right now, in hopes of a better chance of spotting Thunder, but her parting words echoed in my head: “Just stay in the Burnt Tower, Lightning. If I come back by tomorrow morning that means that I want to continue our journey. But if I don’t come back, that means that I’ve given up.”

I sighed. Please come back, Thunder, I thought pleadingly. I sat there, bored to death, as I aimlessly watched to denizens of the city as they busily went about their daily errands.

Finally, unable to stand the horrible loneliness, I launched into the air and made a circle around the Burnt Tower. Spotting nothing interesting on the tower’s exterior, I lowered my altitude slowly and flew through the front door.

I took a deep breath, expecting some scary illusion from Morty’s Ghost-types, but nothing happened for a long time. Sighing with relief, I began to survey the single-roomed first floor, keeping my eyes peeled for anything interesting. Nothing caught my eye except for a few deserted Spinarak webs however, so I proceeded to fly up the stairs that led to the second floor.

Then an idea struck me. If there are Spinarak webs here, there must be plenty of Spinarak around! The thought of hunting a Spinarak came to me – I was terribly hungry, after all, as I hadn’t had a thing to eat since yesterday. Despite my situation, however, I found myself wincing at the thought of getting struck by a well-aimed Poison Sting attack.

If a non-poisonous Caterpie can assault me like that, I thought, recalling my failed first attempt at hunting a Bug Pokemon, I don’t know what a poisonous Spinarak can do to me.

Then another thought struck me. Thunder, I thought dreamily, sighing. I’ve got to catch a Bug Pokemon all by myself, or she won’t ever love me. The thought of not seeing the brave, intelligent female Pidgeot ever again made me shudder, so I flew more determinedly towards the second floor, keeping my eyes peeled for a Bug Pokemon.

I was very lucky. Right when I entered the second floor, before I could even examine the room, I spotted a small Spinarak. It was scurrying across the room as fast as its eight tiny legs could carry it, apparently trying to get back to its daylight-resting place.

My heart quickened as my eyes narrowed and instinct took over. Focusing at my target, I flew silently towards the Bug Pokemon, my muffled wing-beats inaudible even to the sharpest listener. Recalling Thunder’s advice, I approached the Spinarak from behind, and dove towards it beak-first.

The small Bug Pokemon suddenly sensed my presence as it opened its mouth, readying a String Shot attack. You won’t get me this time!I thought determinedly as I quickly tackled the Spinarak into the air, making it lose coordination, and grasped it deftly with my hooked claws as it fell down.

It was over. The brief rush of adrenaline that I had felt, and the sheer excitement of hunting a Bug Pokemon successfully for the first time, vanished into thin air as my heart rate and breathing slowed down. But as I stared at the unmoving Spinarak that lay at my feet, a great sense of pride filled my heart.

I bent down, grasped the Bug Pokemon with my beak, and removed the poison by rubbing its pointy white stinger on the wooden floor.

Thanks for teaching me how to do this, Thunder, I thought gratefully as I launched into the air and flew down the staircase that led to the first floor. You’ll be so proud of me once I show you this. And once you’ve eaten to your heart’s content, it’s heart-to-heart time.

~~~~Alternative Point of View~~~~
~~~End~~~​

“My name is Janine,” the girl began, “and I’m the gym leader of Fuchsia City.”

Wait a second, I thought, confused. But that’s all the way in Kanto! What are you doing here in Johto?

“Um… well…” Janine stammered, “You see, I flew here on my Crobat. I wanted to get as far away from home as possible.”

But why did you come to Ecruteak City? I asked. I think there are places in Johto that are more remote than here. And I think there’s that land called Ho-ann, too, that’s really far away.

Janine giggled slightly. “That’s Hoenn,” she corrected. She sighed. “I don’t know. I guess I like the environment of Ecruteak City,” she explained. “Everything here is serene, nostalgic, and calm, unlike where I come from. And this tower that we’re sitting on right now, the Bell Tower… I don’t know why, but it kind of has a magical aura to it, don’t you think?”

I closed my eyes and breathed deeply. She was right – there indeed was something special about this place. I could sense the presence of some unknown, magical force around me, but I wasn’t sure what it was. After a while, I opened my eyes. I agree, I thought slowly, but please tell me why you flew away from Fuchsia City, where you come from.

Janine sighed again and looked away. “It’s just that so much has gone wrong in my life,” she said quietly. “Dad and the gym and Falkner – I mean, I’m only thirteen. Do they seriously think that I can deal with all of them at the same time?”

Don’t be afraid to tell me what happened, I thought gently.

“All right,” she said. “You see, my dad, Koga, is an Elite Four member of Kanto and Johto. And when he left, he made me in charge of the gym – but really, that was a terrible mistake. The first few months of being Gym Leader were great. But then I began a really horrible losing streak… that was when everything began to fall apart.

“The challengers were angry. They complained that I was too easy to beat, and they desperately wanted my dad back. So I tried calling my dad and explaining to him what happened, but it always seemed like he didn’t want to talk to me. He always said that ever since becoming an Elite Four member, his schedule has been packed. When I finally managed to visit him personally, he insisted that I was fine the way I was, and that he didn’t want to give up his position in the Elite Four.”

But that’s horrible! I thought, shocked. What kind of father would care more about his title than his daughter?

“Mine,” Janine groaned. “But that isn’t the worst part.”

Right, I thought, remembering how scornfully the girl had mentioned Violet City’s gym leader. But why do you hate Falkner so much?

Janine sighed. “Well, Falkner used to be a close friend of mine. When he was four years old, he and his mother moved to Fuchsia City. I became friends with him quickly… we were both really athletic and energetic, and we loved to cause all sorts of mischief by jumping across the rooftops of the city.” She smiled briefly, recalling the wonderful memories, but the smile quickly faded away.

What happened? I asked. Why aren’t the two of you friends anymore?

“He moved back to Violet City a little while before he turned ten,” she said quickly. “His dad, who was Gym Leader at that time, wanted him to come back to his hometown. So Falkner and his mother packed their bags, caught his Pidgey in the surrounding forest, and headed back to Violet City.

“Falkner and I were really close friends though, and we stayed that way… in fact, we grew closer when my father became part of the Elite Four and started growing distant from me.” Her voice dropped to barely above a whisper. “I think we were more than just friends once, when I asked him to accompany me during my annual ninja training in Goldenrod City, because my dad wouldn’t do it anymore. But…” her voice trailed away.

But what? I asked, trembling. I knew exactly what Janine was talking about: love. Something that had to do with love had made her really depressed, and for some strange reason, I barely – just barely – felt the teeth of my conscience gnawing at my heart.

Janine suddenly stood up, releasing the bottled-up anger she had been hiding for so long.

“I thought he loved me,” she said angrily, not even tottering as she balanced on the slanted surface of the rooftop. “It didn’t make sense. Falkner gave me that stupid old necklace you’re wearing right now, and even let me hug him a few times. I should have known he never felt for me what I felt for him. He never hugged me back or anything. And when I finally got the chance to tell him what I really felt about him, that I wanted him to be more than just my friend, he said…” Janine sat down slowly, all the brief anger gone from her heart. Her face now bore and expression of hurt, hopelessness, and sorrow. I gasped. I’d seen that expression before, several times, and I winced.

“Falkner said that he was sorry, but he couldn’t be with me,” Janine said in a quiet voice that was barely above a tiny whisper. “He said that I was a really awesome girl and all, but we just couldn’t be together. We were too far apart to be together… him in Violet City in Johto and me in Fuchsia City in Kanto. And… oh, this happened so recently, just a few days ago, and… I feel really heartbroken.”

There was a long, long silence as I closed my eyes, a million different emotions filling my heart. I trembled. My guilt, my conscience, poked at my brain and gnawed at my heart so badly and so intensely that I couldn’t take it anymore. Deep down, I knew that there was a better response to Janine’s tragic tale, but my insistent conscience kept me from thinking about that phrase.

I’m horrible, I blurted out.

“What do you mean?” Janine asked, surprised. “You were a really good listener!”

I’m just as bad as Falkner, I thought sadly. Oh dear. What was I thinking? I just rejected him for the same reason Falkner rejected you!

“Don’t feel too bad,” Janine said hesitantly, trying to comfort me. “You had a reason, and an understandable one too… but who was it?”

Lightning, I thought longingly. I know, he’s Falkner’s Pidgeot… but he’s really, really handsome, brave, and strong. I sighed, allowing all the feelings I’d been hiding for so long to tumble out. I’ve been hiding what I’ve been feeling for him for so long, just because of that separation issue. I rejected him, but then I talked to you… and now I know how horrible being rejected feels. I can’t let him feel that way. I’ve got to tell him what I really feel about him… that I love him.

For the first time in a long while, Janine smiled a little. “Then go ahead and tell Lightning what you feel about him,” she said softly and kindly. “Don’t be afraid. Just listen to your heart.” She looked around. “Where is he, anyways? You’ve got to go and find him.”

He’s waiting for me at the Burnt Tower, I answered. But what about you and your problems? I want to help you. I’ve got until tomorrow morning.

Janine shook her head gently. “Just having someone to talk to has helped me a lot,” she said honestly, “because now I know that Pokemon are just as intelligent, friendly, and emotional as people. I think I’ve just got to listen to some of my challengers’ advice and believe in my Pokemon. Maybe, if I treat them as my best friends, I’ll win more battles and gain a greater understanding of everything in the process.”

I nodded. My former trainer, Ash, believed in his Pokemon all the time, I thought. It really works – his Pikachu defeated Lt. Surge’s Raichu single-handedly, without having to evolve. I turned, getting ready to leave. But what will you do about Falkner?

Janine shrugged. “I’m not sure,” she confessed, “but it’s best to deal with my problems one at a time. I’ll have to try to get over Falkner for now.” She nodded. “Go ahead and find Lightning,” she said gently. “I’ll be fine.”

I nodded back. Well, I’ll be off, I thought, launching into the air. Goodbye, Janine! It’s been nice talking to you!

“Bye!” Janine called, waving. With that, I began my flight to the Burnt Tower. Lightning, I thought dreamily, sighing happily as I thought of what his reaction would be when I confessed to him. I admit it – I love you.

But then… what happened next happened so suddenly and so shockingly that I didn’t believe what had befallen me for a long time.

There was a pale blue current of electricity. It appeared right in front of my face, and I gasped as the electricity zipped right past me and hit the side of the Bell Tower.

My heart stood still. I knew for sure what that meant.

Before I had any time to flee, however, another wicked bolt flew at me from behind the Burnt Tower. Thinking quickly, I dodged the zap, readying a Steel Wing and flying towards the ground. Taking a deep breath, I jammed my metallic wing into the earthly soil – just in time. The next current of blue electricity flew straight towards my body, but it suddenly changed course and struck my electricity-conducting Steel Wing. Not feeling a thing, I smiled with pleasure as the eerie blue current flowed out of my wing and disappeared into the ground.

You’re not going to catch me that easily, Nature Hunter K, I thought with satisfaction as my wing returned to normal and I drew it out of the ground. Your electric glove is useless now that I have Steel Wing and the knowledge of how a lightning rod works.

From the concealing shadow of the Burnt Tower came Nature Hunter K – Falkner’s cold-hearted, eighteen-year-old sister. She hadn’t changed a bit since when I last saw her – a pair of dark sunglasses and a lock of flowing blue hair concealed her cold, piercing light blue eyes, and her dark blue cape and pitch-black dress blended in easily with the shadows. Her lips were parted in a pleased, evil smile, and in her non-gloved hand she carried a Quick Ball.

“So you can talk, eh?” K asked evilly. Her smile broadened. “That’s another reason for me to covet you. Jolteon, go!” she cried, hurtling the Quick Ball into the air.

I watched, too terrified to move, as the Quick Ball opened up and shot out a bright yellow beam of light that rapidly morphed into the spiky yellow-and-white Electric-type Pokemon. As the Jolteon landed comfortably on all fours, instinct took over. I turned tail and fled, my heart beating rapidly with fear.

“Jolteon, Thunderbolt!”

Thinking quickly, I readied a Steel Wing defense. But it was no use.

With a crackling sound, the wicked electric bolt hit me squarely and powerfully, and I screamed in pain as the horrible current coursed through my body.

Then the world, my world, went black.

To be continued…

Last edited: