• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BS Doubles Rain (Gastrodon is Awesome!)

Sevans

Battle Subway Boss
I developed a rain team. The surf + storm drain makes this awesome. Kingdra with swift swim in endless rain is gonna be so insane! (Maybe they should ban it ;))

I would like to know your opinion on my team, and get help with the things I have a ? for or have slashed.
Here it is;

;423-e;Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry
Modest/Storm Drain
4HP/184DEF/248SpA/72SpD(these get to balance defenses. Increasing the defenses like this actually decreases my overall percent damage taken, as Gastrodon already has high HP.)
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Recover/Protect
-HP[ground]

At first, I know what you're thinking. WTF? Why HP instead of Earth Power? Well, to tell the truth, I never RNGd in gen iv, and I'm not going to start now, being that Earth Power is a Platinum tutor move, and I'm willing to sacrifice 20BP on a semi-filler for near perfect IVs. So, onto the pokémon, Gastrodon with rain and storm drain and STAB and a spread attack=dangerous. The rest are semi-fillers. Recover for healing. I have been using this Gastrodon for a while now, and I rarely use protect. I honestly have only used it in ~1% of the times I have attacked. Does anyone have another viable move to put here that adds coverage to the set? I have considered a one hit water type move, or rain dance (so I don't have to switch poly when there is another weather poke.

;186; Politoed @ Absorb Bulb/Wacan Berry
Timid
4HP/4DEF/248SpA/252Spe(I took 1 away from SpA b/c HP[Grass] gives an SpA IV of 30 so the 4 EVs would go towards being 1/2 of a point, which doesn't matter)
-Surf
-Psychic
-HP[Grass]
-Protect

Surf to up Gastrodon. it is also a x1.5 x1.5 x.75 move and is respectable for his SpA. HP for water absorbers/storm drainers. Protect to survive one more turn. Gastrodon's +1 Surf in rain and max SpA and the same Gastrodon's +2 Surf (plus 1 from politoed surf, +another 1 from politoed second surf) will not 2HKO Politoed. So if he doesn't take outside damage, he gets to get hit by Gastrodon twice at minimum (unless the BS crit haxes me, but that's another thing)

;230; Kingdra @White Herb/LO/?
Modest/Swift Swim
?HP/252SpA/?Spe (I haven't figured out what speed I want to hit. I will put the necessary EVs in speed and the rest in HP)
-Surf
-Dragon Pulse
-Clear Smog/Rain Dance
-Draco Meteor/Ice Beam

Awesome. So awesome, they banned it in singles with Politoed. (I think in doubles too.) Surf. Again. Awesome. Also helps Gastrodon. Clear Smog for set up sweepers (so I can ignore them as they curse repeatedly in the BS ;)). Dragon Pulse for after a Draco Meteor. Meteor is more for if the opponent has few pokémon left or I need a strong attack, Dragon Pulse for consistency. Through testing (without actually having Kingdra) I have determined that I may want rain dance on Kindgra. I have been seeing more and more opposing weather teams, and I want my team to be flexible. Because Kingdra only needs its STABs to be good on the offensive side, Rain Dance could allow me to keep politoed in on opponent weather teams.

;454; Toxicroak @Focus Sash
Jolly/Dry Skin
12HP/244ATK/252Spe
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Fake Out
-Substitute

First off, does he absorb surf even with a sub up? If so, I will definitely use sub. he gets on this team because (1) he abuses rain and absorbs surfs and (2) he has a fighting move for some better coverage (as my other moves aren't too diverse in typing), and can kill ferro and Empoleon and other steels. Fake Out for holding something down, Sub for a barrier. 12 HP EVs to get 160HP so I make 40HP subs and Regain 20HP from Dry Skin Each turn. If I have a partner using surf, this thing actually regains more HP than it loses in one turn from a sub. this makes it easy to get back to max HP and use focus sash, which I have to prevent hax, and because it's the rain and I can ;)

Please Rate!
Suggestions are welcome, but at this point, I mainly would like opinions on it and which slashed moves you think I should use.

P.S. I will not go back for generation 4 moves.
P.P.S. Even without using the awesomeness of SS Kingdra, I got to battle 56 and am still going using a filler named Raikou (who has not done ANYTHING that Kingdra could not have).

Last edited:

Sevans

Battle Subway Boss
Bumping cause I want replies, it's been 7 days, and the thread got moved off the first page ;)

Please comment, even if just to say that it looks good. Also, do you think this team will get past battle 49?

Dragontamer1011

Looks pretty good! I'll take a close look at it later.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
The one thing I see right off the bat is your team is heavily special. Why not try Politoed with a supporter set?

Politoed @ Bold
Drizzle @ Quick Claw/Wide Lens
252 HP/252 Defense/6 Sp. Attack
-Scald/Surf
-Protect
-Encore
-Hypnosis

Scald can be useful for the burns, which will help slow down physical sweepers. Protect to stall Burn and scout, Encore to shut down a set up sweeper for a few turns, and Hypnosis if necessary.

Could be replaced with Ice Beam or Perish Song if need be, but the latter is useless in Doubles.

Kingdra is practically screaming for Ice Beam over Clear Smog, that move is too situational, while Ice Beam covers the Grass types that murder 'Toed and Gastrodon.

Last edited:

Vandslaux

Yes, Croak will absorb Surfs even with a Sub up. I have used the Politoed + Toxicroak combo in the Doubles Subway.

Sevans

Battle Subway Boss
The one thing I see right off the bat is your team is heavily special. Why not try Politoed with a supporter set?

Politoed @ Bold
Drizzle @ Quick Claw/Wide Lens
252 HP/252 Defense/6 Sp. Attack
-Scald/Surf
-Protect
-Encore
-Hypnosis

Scald can be useful for the burns, which will help slow down physical sweepers. Protect to stall Burn and scout, Encore to shut down a set up sweeper for a few turns, and Hypnosis if necessary.

Could be replaced with Ice Beam or Perish Song if need be, but the latter is useless in Doubles.

Kingdra is practically screaming for Ice Beam over Clear Smog, that move is too situational, while Ice Beam covers the Grass types that murder 'Toed and Gastrodon.

I realize my team is 3/4 special. Thanks for thinking of it, but I want to keep it like this so I can abuse surf. Toxicroak and Gastodon both benefit from a surf, and Kingdra and Politoed may take damage, but they resist it.
I put Toxicroak there to solve this problem. Drain punch also provides a good fighting move, as I won't be using Focus Blast (It is the BS we're talking about) on Politoed.
It seems you aren't considering the high hax rate of the BS. Hypnosis will miss more than 50% of the time, and Quick claw will rarely help. I have considered encore, but I wanted 3 moves. I can't use scald, because of Gastrodon's Storm Drain.

Onto general comments;
I have my leads trained and have been testing them, just to see what I should change on them. (I've been to lazy to train my other pokémon so far, but I will get to it eventually.)
@Gastrodon;
Without a Rindo berry, I usually face two grass leads in almost every battle. Rindo berry helps to make the BS use less grass types and usually stops moves not named Solarbeam or Wood Hammer (or Dragonite's Outrage, which surprised me) from OHKOing.
Storm Drain is funny; the AI doesn't register it or something, they will keep using moves like waterfall if they have them ;)
@Politoed;
He kept getting KO'd by electric attacks. I got really annoyed so I gave him a Wacan berry. I haven't had too many problems since then. I changed Hyper Voice to Psychic; Hyper Voice provides no Coverage and I shouldn't have even considered it. Hidden Power Grass has proven it's worth many times, as the NPC likes to use Water Absorb leads (You know, now that I am using a double Surf team), and most (if not all) Water absorbers/Storm Drainer (Gastrodon, which I saw 2 of so far) are at least 2X weak to Grass.
Psychic also OHKOd a Toxicroak (well, it would have, if not for the focus sash), and therefore I will be keeping it unless I change it for Ice beam (because Gastrodon is sometimes too slow to hit the grass type before it gets hit.)

I think my team is pretty good so far. My only complaint is when moves OHKO Gastrodon, but that isn't too frequent. Surfs are also able to power through almost anything after 3 succesive hits at most, usually less, because of rain and STAB, and the boosts Gastrodon gets. I 2T(Turn)KOd a Ferro, so the leads only really hate water absorbers.

EDIT
I have been doing more testing after having Toxicroak trained and I feel like its moveset is great. I have been using a filler pokemon for the last slot (named Raikou ;))and it seems that I almost always send in Toxicroak before it, just because of toxicroak's ability to hold down one opp for a turn (focus sash). I have edited the first post with some more changes.

Last edited: