• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bug Catching Contests

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
The Bug Catching Contests were a competition in the Johto games that as held on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. In it you could capture a Bug type Pokemon that was judged. The winner got a prize that was usually rare and hard to come by otherwise.

Did you partake in the Bug Catching Contests in G/S/C? Have any fond memories of competing in them?

Leonhart

Imagineer
I enjoyed the Bug-Catching Contest as a little detour on most occasions. I hardly had a need for Sun Stones, so I didn't care about winning the main prize. I just participated in them because it was fun to spend twenty minutes listening to the remixed version of the Gen 1 Bicycle theme song.

Cat's Eye Draco

I usually had fun with the Bug Catching Contests, though I don't remember ever managing to win one. It could be frustrating, though, to spend the whole time running around looking for a Scyther or a Pinsir or some other "exotic" Pokemon only to come in second or third to a Caterpie.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think I won once in Crystal by catching a Metapod. I remember it was a really common Pokémon.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I liked this competition, although I wish it didn't have only Generation I Pokemon. I also remember having the single Pokemon you can use for catching purposes poisoned by the Weedle rather often, so I had to finish up early.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
I liked this competition, although I wish it didn't have only Generation I Pokemon. I also remember having the single Pokemon you can use for catching purposes poisoned by the Weedle rather often, so I had to finish up early.

I do recall many of the Bug-types available having status damaging moves, which was a pain since as far as I can remember, we couldn't heal our Pokemon during these competitions.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Loved them. Just tried catching something rare to win them.

MockingJ

Banned
They sucked. I hated the time limit and the fact that we could only bring one Pokemon with us. And I once found a shiny Beedrill at these contests and couldn't catch it since my stock of Park Balls ran out.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
They sucked. I hated the time limit and the fact that we could only bring one Pokemon with us. And I once found a shiny Beedrill at these contests and couldn't catch it since my stock of Park Balls ran out.

I thought that the time limit was reasonable, and at least it was better than the step limit that the Kanto Safari Zone had in R/G/B/Y. Twenty minutes seemed like more than enough time to find the right Bug-type Pokemon to me, and I liked that we could actually weaken the Pokemon that we found.

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
Bug Catching Contests were fun, but getting the Sun Stone felt rather tedious at times when I would lose with a Pinsir against someone’s Caterpie and have to try again. I wanted to raise a Bellossom in Gold, so I spent quite a bit of time trying to win one of the contests.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dicklaycia said:
Bug Catching Contests were fun, but getting the Sun Stone felt rather tedious at times when I would lose with a Pinsir against someone’s Caterpie and have to try again. I wanted to raise a Bellossom in Gold, so I spent quite a bit of time trying to win one of the contests.

At least only two Pokemon evolved via the Sun Stone in Gen II, so we only really needed two Sun Stones in these games which meant winning the Bug-Catching Contest twice, which was doable.