1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Bug-Catching Contests

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by RedBlastoise, Jun 3, 2020.

1. RedBlastoise

RedBlastoise Cerulean Blues

The Bug-Catching Contests were a competition in the Johto games that as held on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. In them you could capture a Bug type Pokemon that was judged and you'd win a prize for having a high score.

Did you participate in the Bug-Catching Contests in GSC? Have any fond memories of competing in them?

2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. Staff Member Moderator

Oh heck yea! Loved them. Came in first place before. Usually with a Scyther, Pinsir or Butterfree.

3. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

I really liked these contests because they were a fun way to spend 20 minutes or less. I thought more Bug types should've been made available to catch during these but I liked the concept behind them.

4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I thought that the Bug-Catching Contests were an amusing side event. I thought that winning them was rather pointless since Sun Stones could only be used to evolve two species of Pokemon in Gen II, but it was entertaining to compete in these competitions just for fun.

5. Ashscot

Ashscot Pokémon Breeder

I found them fun, and always made an effort to participate. It seems like I mostly got 2nd or 3rd place though. I always thought I had a top percentage Scyther/Pinsir, but oh no. There was always someone better than me. That's not to say I didn't win first place, it was just rarely. So worth it though. I loved adding Sunflora and Bellosom to my dex.

Ubermuk, RedBlastoise and Leonhart like this.
  6. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I would always get irked whenever I'd capture a Butterfree or Spear (Beedrill), yet still lose just because someone else captured a high level Caterpie or something similar.

7. Ashscot

Ashscot Pokémon Breeder

Those times were the worst. I would always wonder how and why I would lose the contest to a Pokemon like Caterpie.

Sakuyamon, Leonhart and RedBlastoise like this.
  8. jaden767

jaden767 Amphetamine

Loved trying these on Saturday mornings even if I didn't always win. There should've been more rare prizes in these contests to make winning worth it.

9. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I would've liked to have seen more evolutionary stones than just the Sun Stone offered as potential rewards for winning, or perhaps extra copies of trade evolution items since those were rare and usually one-per-game in Gen II.

10. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

These competitions were cool but I always thought it was wasted potential to not include Johto Bug types like Pineco, Heracross or Yanma. Restricting these things to just Kanto Bug Pokemon felt dull...

11. Venomshock

Venomshock Well-Known Member

These competitions were cool but I wish the Safari Zone had been in Gold, Silver and Crystal instead of us getting these Bug Contests as a replacement.

Sakuyamon and Leonhart like this.
  12. RedBlastoise

RedBlastoise Cerulean Blues

I think so too. The Safari Zone had more Pokemon variety so it was more fun to play there than just catch Bug types in the Bug-Catching Contests.

13. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

I sort of likеd this compеtition. I rеmеmbеr winning Sun Stonеs and Gold Bеrriеs, usually with Pinsir and Scythеr. I got a bit annoyеd whеn Wееdlе kеpt poisoning my battling Pokеmon with Poison Sting, though, as it mеant I had to quit еarliеr.I also thought thеrе should bе Pokеmon likе Yanma and not just Gеnеration I onеs.

Sakuyamon and Leonhart like this.
  14. Baggie_Saiyan

Baggie_Saiyan Well-Known Member

Bringing back some warm memories! First thing I did on a Saturday when I woke up was enter the competition! Weekdays was 50/50 because of school and wasn't allowed on my gameboy often during the weekdays so most of the time would prioritize other things.

Ashscot and Leonhart like this.
  15. Sakuyamon

Sakuyamon Well-Known Member

I remember getting mad one time when I caught a strong Pinsir but still lost first place to someone who caught a Venonat.

But I still liked this competitions because they were fun to try.

jaden767 and TwilightBlade like this.
  16. jaden767

jaden767 Amphetamine

Definitely I never got why only Kanto bugs were found in these contests in GSC. Most of them were common in other places anyways.

Leonhart likes this.
  17. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I think Game Freak wanted to spread out the Gen II Bug-types, which is why they made some of them version exclusive, time of day exclusive, and Headbutt tree exclusive. Having them be available at the Bug-Catching Contest would've been convenient, though.