• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bug-Catching Contests

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
The Bug-Catching Contests were a competition in the Johto games that as held on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. In them you could capture a Bug type Pokemon that was judged and you'd win a prize for having a high score.

Did you participate in the Bug-Catching Contests in GSC? Have any fond memories of competing in them?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Oh heck yea! Loved them. Came in first place before. Usually with a Scyther, Pinsir or Butterfree.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I thought that the Bug-Catching Contests were an amusing side event. I thought that winning them was rather pointless since Sun Stones could only be used to evolve two species of Pokemon in Gen II, but it was entertaining to compete in these competitions just for fun.

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
There should've been more rare prizes in these contests to make winning worth it.

I would've liked to have seen more evolutionary stones than just the Sun Stone offered as potential rewards for winning, or perhaps extra copies of trade evolution items since those were rare and usually one-per-game in Gen II.

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
Definitely I never got why only Kanto bugs were found in these contests in GSC. Most of them were common in other places anyways.

I think Game Freak wanted to spread out the Gen II Bug-types, which is why they made some of them version exclusive, time of day exclusive, and Headbutt tree exclusive. Having them be available at the Bug-Catching Contest would've been convenient, though.

Ditto B1tch

No, I had no patience for these contests, but I like their existence. It's nice to have alternate options of entertainment besides Pokemon battles