• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bulbasaur is not the easiest and Charmander is not the most difficult in Pokemon Red and Blue.

WaterTypeStarter

The thinking goes that Bulbasaur is easy mode and Charmander hard. However, a closer analysis shows just the opposite. I am going to focus on gen 1 as opposed to FRLG. So things may be different. Basically, the thinking goes that Bulbasaur will easily sweep Brock and Misty's gym, Squirtle will sweep Brock's while Charmander will be at disadvantage at both. However, if you take everything into consideration, it is the opposite:

Bulbasaur will struggle in Viridian Forest with only Tackle and Vine Whip to fight the Bug types, though it will have the advantage of not being poisoned. Squirtle will be quite neutral with Bubble while Charmander will easily sweep with Ember. The two still have to watch out for Poison.

Bulbasaur and Squirtle will quickly sweep Brock with four times effective moves. Charmander will take little longer but ultimately Brock has no super effective moves and must rely on Tackle and Bide. And Geodude and Onix have low special stats so Ember will not be that weak. And if you burn, you can weaken Tackle and avoid powering up Onix's Bide.

On the route to Mt Moon, there are several trainers with Poison types and Bug types. Charmander will easily beat the latter. Squirtle will do fine. But Bulbasaur will have to rely on Tackle, Bide (if you used the TM Brock have you) and a not very effective Vine Whip to fight them. Though the advantage again will be it can't get poisoned.

Mt Moon has a Pokemon that will give each starter a type disadvantage. Zubat for Bulbasaur, Geodude for Charmander, and Paras for both Squirtle and Bulbasaur. However, neither Geodude nor Paras have any moves to affect Charmander and Squirtle respectively, and only one trainer I think has Rock Types that have nothing super effective against Charmander and is avoidable I think. Though there is a trainer with Grass types that can easily beat Squirtle, though this is no problem if you avoid her. Bulbasaur on the other hand has it the toughest in Mt Moon. Due to Bug being super effective against Poison in Gen 1, Bulbasaur is actually four times weak to Leech Life which also restores Zubat's HP. And there are Rocket members with Zubat that cannot be avoided. And Bulbasaur must rely on Tackle, Bide, and Vine Whip to fight Zubat. That does not mention some skippable trainers with Poison types as well as the required super nerd whom I think has a Koffing. Hence, Mt Moon goes very rough on Bulbasaur.

That is pretty much it. Now it is true Misty will give Charmander trouble. However, you can just skip her and instead go to Bill, S S Anne and then Lt Surge. You will get the powerful Dig TM that will give Charmander an advantage in Lt Surge's gym. And if you do not evolve into Charizard yet, you will not have to worry about weakness while Squirtle will have the disadvantage even with Dig. Bulbasaur may be able to sweep both gyms easily but this really does not make much with what it has to go though in Mt Moon, and there are more Poison Types to battle on the way to Bill and Bulbasaur has no good moves either by level up or TM to counter them at the point in the game. Charmander can also easily sweep the required Lass battle that has two Oddish that will have the advantage against Squirtle and give Bulbasaur trouble. The Rock Types you encounter will have no moves to easily beat Charmander. And once you get Dig, Charmander is pretty much able to counter them, and if leveled up enough can sweep the S S Anne as well as Misty who can be saved for after Lt Surge. Whereas Bulbasaur cannot learn Dig at all, being deprived of a powerful 100 base move till you get Double Edge at the Rocket Hideout.

To conclude, many people look at the gyms and decide Bulbasaur is easy mode while Charmander is difficult mode, but when you analyze more closely, it is the exact opposite. Charmander might take a little longer at Brock's gym but ultimately has no super effective moves to worry about. Bulbasaur by contrast will have to struggle against Zubat and the unavoidable Rocket members that have it at Mt Moon. Charmander by contrast will actually resist Leech Life which is already a weak move. And while Squirtle and Charmander will have access to the overpowered Dig, Bulbasaur will be forced to rely on unreliable or weak moves for a long time. And Misty can be saved for later, making Bulbasaur's advantage redundant.
Note this is about the Gen 1 games. Hence, FrLG may be completely different. Edit: one thing I forgot. Bulbsuar actually gets Leech Seed early enough, so that is also an option beside Tackle, Bide, and Vine Whip. However, it also has a low 10PP (as does Vine Whip) making Tackle the only move it can really rely on for a long while. Also, it cannot learn Mega Punch which you can get as a TM in Mt Moon while the other starters can, another disadvantage for Bulbasaur.

Last edited:

Houka

If ya wait til Diglet's Tunnel you can grind a bit for Chamilion and get Slash which will steam roll misty Pokmeon duo to it's High Crit chance and it become really reliable throughout most of the game. Bulbasaur on the other hand has a lot of trouble til it get Body Slam and Double-Edge. Razor Leaves has a high crit chance too but so many poison types make that less useful. Squirtle get access to Ice Beam making a good counter to Grass types and some decent Physicals to help with some other types.

After Playing the game with all three I can see Bulbasuar is really support type as it needs other to help it be good. Charmander can just sweep through most challenges with one one or two issues. Squirtle is more average but gets a decent moveset to help it survive but it does need some assistance.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’ve always thought that Charmander was too bad against Brock and it’s really Misty where it has issues. Lt. Surge is easy taken out with a Geodude that knows Dig and as a Graveler it can still use Dig and take on Koga with ease. Sabrina is tricky but Venomoth can be taken out with any Fire Attack and the rest can be taken out with some luck. In Yellow, Abra can be taken out with almost any Pokémon. Giovanni is a breeze with Charizard’s immunity to Fissure.

Orphalesion

The supposed difficulty of the starter only matters if you don't add more Pokemon to your team, really. Since you can carry six Pokemon, and can switch them in and out of your team whenever you want/need to, it quickly becomes almost irrelevant.

Even with Brock you can just evolve a Caterpie from Verridian Forest into a Butterfree and defeat Geodude and Onix with Confusion.

Last edited:

WaterTypeStarter

The supposed difficulty of the starter only matters if you don't add more Pokemon to your team, really. Since you can carry six Pokemon, and can switch them in and out of your team whenever you want/need to, it quickly becomes almost irrelevant.

Even with Brock you can just evolve a Caterpie from Verridian Forest into a Butterfree and defeat Geodude and Onix with Confusion.
Agreed. But if you do use just your starter, the whole Zubat and Leech Life stuff at Mt Moon as well as Bulbasaur's poor movepool make Bulbasaur really the most challenging of the three.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
If I remember right the manual listed Bulbasaur as the easiest one top start with. Having said that, Game Freak wasn't the best at judging type balances early on, so the manual may be wrong.

Orphalesion

Agreed. But if you do use just your starter, the whole Zubat and Leech Life stuff at Mt Moon as well as Bulbasaur's poor movepool make Bulbasaur really the most challenging of the three.

Might be true, but even when I was a child I was always suprised when I heard that somebody was using just their starter. To me six places on the time were never enough for all the Pokemon I wanted to play with.

If I remember right the manual listed Bulbasaur as the easiest one top start with. Having said that, Game Freak wasn't the best at judging type balances early on, so the manual may be wrong.
The strategy guide also named Bulbasaur as the easiest starter, and those were the ones who actually realised that the Gen 1 Ghost Pokemon were weak to Psychic (due to their Poison typing and Nightshade ignoring type) instead of the other way around, as intended by Gamefreak.

pacman000

If I remember right, the manual listed ghost as weak to psychic.

pacman000

Yep. That confused me to no end.

Also, I went to the Game Corner & bought an Abra to try to get into the Pokémon Center's trading area. The woman there said it was for friends linked by a cable, & the anime said Abra & Sabrina were linked, & I didn't bother to read the manual till later. What other conclusion is a ten-year-old supposed to draw? :D

Leonhart

Imagineer
pacman000 said:
If I remember right the manual listed Bulbasaur as the easiest one top start with.

And technically it is since Grass-type moves are super effective against the first two Kanto Gyms' specialties. But of course the whole point of the games is to raise multiple Pokemon, so simply relying on Fushigidane (Bulbasaur) would be a bad idea.

WaterTypeStarter

And technically it is since Grass-type moves are super effective against the first two Kanto Gyms' specialties. But of course the whole point of the games is to raise multiple Pokemon, so simply relying on Fushigidane (Bulbasaur) would be a bad idea.
But the gyms are not as challenging as they may be made out to be. Especially in Red and Blue where Giovanni the last gym leader has only a Ground move on his Dugtrio. Even the Elite Four in Red and Blue have horrible movesets.

Houka

I recommend Squirtle since it learn Bauble so early and a can sweep Bronk as such a low level. Starmie even has a hard time putting it down, by time ye get to Surge you should have way of dealing with him outside of just Squirtle.

Orphalesion

I just remembered...

For what it's worth I watch a guy (Jrose11) doing Gen 1 solo runs on Youtube and he has already done all three Starters (without ever evolving them) and according to him:

Bulbasaur was the easiest/fastest taking 6:32 hours and having level 69 at the end
Charmander was the middle one with 7:12 hours and level 81
and Squritle was the hardest/slowest with 7:27 hours and level 80

So no, it doesn't appear that Charmander is the "easiest" and Bulbasaur the "hardest" starter...

Bus

Grab Nidoran on that route to the side of Viridian City and you're good for the rest of the game in Gen 1 no matter who your starter is.

kamomesan

Son of Seiso
Interesting thoughts here. I appriciate the move-based approach to determining difficulty rather than the type match-ups that people usually use to compare things.

The thing I don't see many people talk about though is how the gen I battle mechanics favored starters differently. I still think Bulbasaur is favorably stacked because of that. Mainly:
  • Bulbasaur line is the only with access to Sleep inducing moves. Since it took an entire turn for foes to wake up from sleep, it was pretty busted. They do get Sleep Powder late though, so it depends on how quickly your playstyle allows them to level.
  • Charmander line had the best speed meaning they got critical hits more often. Combine that with a moveset that already allows some high crit ratio moves and you're doing a lot of damage quickly.
  • Squirtle line: ??? I don't recall any mechanics that benefit them at all actually...

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Wasn’t the Squirtle line the more defensive one? It does have access to both Withdraw and Skull Bash Which raises Defense.

Golden_Arcanine

It's "easy" in the sense that you can ride it through Cerulean City before you can really expand your team. I mean, before you get to Lt. Surge you have access to Gyarados (OP with Dragon Rage early in-game) and Abra (Psychic's are wildly overpowered in Gen 1). With Bulbasaur, you have access to Vine Whip which makes quick work of Brock, and isn't much more difficult for Misty.