• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bulbasaur...The Ambassador! (227)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah reeks to be Bulbasaur. Did you notice however, in AG Ash did not fall off cliffs anymore so he didn't need a Pokemon who knew Vine Whip? Coincedence? I think not! Also why do the writers hate all of Ash's first Pokemon except Pikachu?

Who said they hate Ash's first Pokemon? Are you insane? The Kanto trio returned MANY times.

Cenzo

Red: True Master
Who said they hate Ash's first Pokemon? Are you insane? The Kanto trio returned MANY times.

I meant Pidgeotto/Pidgeot and Squirtle because he got stuck with those squad losers. Also poor Butterfree was never mentioned again.

Battra

A very nice episode focusing on Bulbasaur and a very good episode coming off of Ash's last gym battle. It's nice seeing a episode focused mostly on Bulbasaur especially since it took a backseat to Chikorita/Bayleef in the Johto arc, it's sad to see Bulba go but now Ash;s entire team consist of Johto Pokemon excluding Pikachu, which we'll see repeated once the Hoen arc starts, and later on in Shinnoh.

defno

I don't know, I think bulbasaur should have left a while ago. Considering the fact he was barely used why not drop him earlier?

Tadashi

kiss my greens
K I admit it... this episode actually made me cry. No, really.

When that boulder was heading right for Bulbasaur, and the screen turned grey, then white... and all the flashbacks... I literally thought Bulbasaur was dead. So I cried. Then Ash woke up all of a sudden, and I stopped. Then what do I see but Bulbasaur, that amazing little guy, climbing his way out of the ground, having dug a hole to save himself! Oh I cheered for that little bulby!

Awesome episode. I'll never forget it! ;001;

pokemon fan 132

Actually i didnt liked this episode that much.In my opinion it was completely unneeded for bulbasaur to leave but i do admit that this episode had quality and it was focused in great way on bulbasaur.When that rock falled on him i thought for a moment that this is the end for him but i was pleasantly surprised to see that he was ok and used dig to save himself.

To simply put,bulbasaur is awesome.

Good episode. Bulbasaur is so nice! I thaugh bulbasaur is dead by a big rock. did bulbasaur use dig when hes trap underground?

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I thought this was a great episode. I love how they mentioned Bulbasaur's past when it protected injured Pokemon. I thought it was sad when the boulder fell. I thought it was the end for Bulbasaur for good. It surprised me that it was able to learn Dig however. I guess in a life or death situation it did what was neccessary. I am going to miss Bulbasaur. I personally thought it was Ash's strongest Pokemon, besides Charizard. I am glad though that Ash, Misty, and Brock were able to get a ride to just outside of Ecruteak. I don't know if I could have managed to see another fifty or so episodes just to get there.

Blazing Charmander

Ah, I rememeber when I first saw this episode on its first UK airing and had no idea of the outcome due to not being familiar with spoilers back then. To say that Bulbasaur's near death experience shocked me is an understatement lol. The way that the screen froze on Bulbasaur and then turned black and white while you heard the boulder's impact made me almost shed a tear. I believe I did do so when the flashback and touching music played. :( It's definitely one of the most emotionally-charged scenes in the history of the Pokemon anime.

Other than that, i've always been able to see why the writers ultimately Oak'd ole Bulbasaur, although I wonder why it took them longer to phase it out than it did Charizard and Squirtle. In fact, it's a wonder how all three of them travelled with Ash to Johto but it's understandable as the writers clearly hadn't grasped the concept of giving Ash a fresh start in each region at the time.

I haven't seen the full episode in years though, so I can only remember the premise of the episode vaguely.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
It was a sad episode, but i loved it.
Bulbasaur was great, it really a friend with all the pokemon.
And i also loved how it saved an Odish.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Bulbasaur saves the day yet again, though it almost died in the process! It started off great, with Bulbasaur helping out at Oak's lab but then the whole building another pool thing almost got Bulbasaur killed, which was scary to see. I thought it might have actually died since there was a moment where things got really dramatic. It was too sad for me to enjoy. And I hate that it stayed at Oak's lab. 5/10.

Last edited:

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
When I watched this episode I thought Bulbasaur was dead too, actually quite alot of TV shows use that effect. I remember the most recent I saw was Flashforward with the character Janis when she was shot, they showed flashbacks (And her flashforward). I always get a bit teary with these kind of episodes no matter the show (Unless it's a really bad episode).

Pity Bulbasaur left but he did have a Grass type, who replaced Bulbasaur after he left? I forgot he did have a spare one throughout the rest of the journey like in Kanto after Butterfree/Haunter/Primeape?

saar

Shiny Flygon
Bulbasaur has always been so kind. And probably because of its personality, it didn't stay with Ash. But I think it was enough, Ash had a Bayleef, so the writers' decision was pretty good.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok... It was sad to see that Bulbasaur would no longer be a full-time member of Ash's team. I like Bulbasaur better than Bayleef. It was cool to see Bulbasaur save itself by using Dig, it looked like it was crushed and killed by the boulder at 1st, but I'm glad he was ok.

20/100

TheEpicGoomba

This episode was alright. Ashame Bulbasaur go to Oak well I guess Ash can not have two grass types. Glad he was not crushed by the boulder.

6/10

Instead of Bulbasaur spontaniously learning Dig, I think a better way to have solved that part would have been for Heracross to save it.

I agree, Heracross saving Bulbasaur purely for the juice!

Sad to see Bulbasaur go... A really sad episode, making me cry (I rarely cry about TV programs, but I cry quite often when it comes to Pokemon anime), but good to see Bulbasaur survive. I never thought it would die, Pokemon rarely die in the anime (in the games, it's different, with graveyards like the Pokemon Tower and Mt. Pyre).