• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden (051)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden!

When Bulbasaur gets injured in a battle, it starts to feel different. Noting that it was time for the Bulbasaur festival, Bulbasaur gets kidnapped by a bunch of Bulbasaur and taken to the festival to evolve. Can Ash find Bulbasaur, or will it be an Ivysaur when he gets there?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

O

Omega II

I kind of wanted to see Bulbasaur evolve... BUt he tried to proove that he would still be strong as a Bulbasaur... Strong hearted one he is... Once i believed that Ash's Pokémon evolve during the battle in the indigo league.

R

Ryuu

I was so excited...I actually thought Bulbasaur would evolve into an Ivysaur. :(

I was even more excited when I saw the Venusaur, I thought to myself "Maybe one day Ash will own that Pokemon". Little did I know that Bulbasaur would never evolve...

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
Yeah! I love this episode! Go Bulbasaur! Only one problem...I haven't seen it for years!

Venusaur was truly awesome. I didn't like his initial philosophies, but he's still cool. My favortite Pokemon, forever.

It would have been cool if Bulby evolved, but it's cool how it stood up for what it wanted, and wasn't forced into evolution.

There's a guy in, "You're a Star, Larvitar!" that looks exactly like the guy in this ep. with the Rhyhorn.

Ahh, Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur, all packed in one juicy episode. I give it a 10/10

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Back when they wanted Pokemon to cute and just made them uber powerful for no good reason. The one thing I didn't like about Kanto.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Trust me, if this even tried to be reasonable, Ash would have been a smear on some trainer's boot. All Pokemon have limits and unevolved Pokemon can only take you so far. It was because the little kiddies loved cute Pokemon. Like I said, the one draw back to Kanto and one thing I have to hand to Hoenn (which is willing to evolve Pokemon and realize unevolved Pokemon can't compete when the going really gets tough).

Other than that, a great introduction of Solar Beam.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Bleh, I'll take Fushigidane the way he is thank you very much.:p He's one of my favorite pokémon and if he doesn't want to evolve so what? I still think evolution's overrated and I don't understand why most of the people on these forums are obsessed with it.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Because we don't get it. What's so overrated about evolution?

Heracross

Custom User Title
It's not as important as everyone makes it out to be. People think that like in the games, the only way for a pokémon to become truly strong is to let it evolve. Fushigidane has proven this is false by tying with Meganium, a fully evolved pokémon. If evolution really matters as much as people think, he would have got his butt handed to him.

And if you go back to Satoshi's fourth round battle in the Indigo league, he beat two very capable pokémon in a row, both of which he had a double type disadvantage against. Do you honestly think he could have dodged Strike's attacks if he had been in his fully evolved state? The answer is obvious. If he had been a Fushigibana during that match he would have lost because his sheer size would have rendered him way too slow to get out of the way of the attacks.

In his case there are advantages as well as disadvantages to being unevolved, and if you ask me he's done a damn good job of utilizing those advantages.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
First of all, they did that because when it came to battles, the writers were on drugs. I don't know what happened but the battles in Kanto for the most part sucked (there were exceptions but in general, they weren't all that great.)

Bulbasaur took enough damage to kill him ten time over. As many have said, insead of making Bulbasaur evolve, they just turned it into an uber who can't fall.

Heracross

Custom User Title
The Big Al said:
Bulbasaur took enough damage to kill him ten time over
If you're referring to the Indigo League episode then you're quite wrong. Fushigidane was able to dodge almost all of the attacks from Spear and Strike and he didn't take that much damage from either of them, which as I said couldn't have happened if he were fully evolved.

And it really doesn't matter what 'should' or 'should not' have happened, but what did happen. Fishigidane was able to prove his worth in both cases and neither you nor anyone else can deny that.:p

Last edited:

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Scyther destroyed him. He made at least a dozen hits on him (not to mention sent him several meters into the air to land hard). However, he was still standing. Like I said, they made him an uber.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I'm not all that fond of this episode, since not a lot happens in it besides Bulbasaur resisting evolution, but at least the animation was great, and we got to see a rare glimpse of ivysaur. It's only been seen in, like, a handful of episodes since the show first started, right? I mean, we don't even see it anytime between the Kanto championships and "Judgment Day" (I list the episodes per pokemon on my computer, so trust me, I know).

Oathkeeper

Pursuer of the Past
I really liked this episode...but I haven't seen it in years either. Was it ever aired again after its debut here in the states?
Bulbasaur was my first choice (therefore, first pokemon ever) and I'm very fond of the Bulbasaur line, so you can see why I enjoyed this episode very much.
I won't really get into the Kanto animation...but Anime =/= games. Unevolved pokemon can be just as strong and capable as evolved ones in the series. It all depends on how dynamic the trainer is (remembers that super Bellsprout in the Indigo League).

JONNO.FRESH

Bulbasaur learning solar beam was good and seeing the bulba line was kool. One of the best Kanto epi's

Kabuto

little punks!
Bulbasaur is awesome, and is actually one of few pokemon that is cooler unevolved in the anime (alongside Squirtle). Anyway, awesome episode, loved the Mysterious Garden, and the way solar beam looked. Venusaur's anime debut was as good as Charizard's, it looked extremely powerful.