• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden (051)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Just to play Devil's advocate: It's not like Ivysaur is that much better than Bulbasaur. I mean hell, they look extremely similar.

As much as I like Bulbasaur's evolutionary line, I have to agree. If Ash's Bulbasaur had evolved here I wouldn't have minded, tho Ivysaur looks kind of plain and not much different than Bulbasaur hee hee.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
As much as I like Bulbasaur's evolutionary line, I have to agree. If Ash's Bulbasaur had evolved here I wouldn't have minded, tho Ivysaur looks kind of plain and not much different than Bulbasaur hee hee.

Plus Ash's Bulbasaur was strong the way he was anyway. He easily defeated that hiker dude's Rhyhorn at the beginning of this episode after all.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Plus Ash's Bulbasaur was strong the way he was anyway. He easily defeated that hiker dude's Rhyhorn at the beginning of this episode after all.

Well he was tough I agree, although I wouldn't necessarily use that minor battle as evidence of his strength since he had a type advantage during it, so his win was practically guaranteed no matter what. ^^

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Well he was tough I agree, although I wouldn't necessarily use that minor battle as evidence of his strength since he had a type advantage during it, so his win was practically guaranteed no matter what. ^^

Even if we don't count his victory against Rhyhorn, him learning Solar Beam at the end when he fought TR was further proof of how strong he was.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Even though I didn't exactly want to see Satoshi's Fushigidane evolve during Kanto, I do wonder why it didn't happen in this episode given the perfect opportunity. Perhaps Fushigisou simply wasn't believed to be as marketable as Fushigidane, but even so, I was pleased that we at least saw Fushigibana get a real debut here.

Alloutℯ

Banned
This episode gave us more questions than answers, like why Ash's Bulbasaur was against evolving in the first place. We needed to know.

Vipsoccermaster

A fine episode. Evolved Pokémon isn't always the best option for most trainers and Pokémon. Ash's Bulbabsaur just wanted to prove that it can be as strong as a Venusaur without evolving. Cool that it learned Solar Beam at the end, though. And nice to see the complete Bulbasuar family in one episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ash's Bulbabsaur just wanted to prove that it can be as strong as a Venusaur without evolving.

It didn't exactly accomplish that in the end, however. Satoshi's Fushigidane saved the others with his convenient Solar Beam at dawn sure, but I didn't get the impression that Fushigidane was objectively stronger than Fushigibana.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
One thing about this episode is a little theory me and my older brother have, we believe the reason Bulbasaur refused and still refuses to evolve is because it didn't want to end up like Charizard who at the time was still disobedient, and while Ash hasn't had that problem again I believe Charizard may have traumatized it to the point it just plain dead doesn't want to take a chance.

Again this is just our opinion please don't overreact to it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
One thing about this episode is a little theory me and my older brother have, we believe the reason Bulbasaur refused and still refuses to evolve is because it didn't want to end up like Charizard who at the time was still disobedient, and while Ash hasn't had that problem again I believe Charizard may have traumatized it to the point it just plain dead doesn't want to take a chance.

Again this is just our opinion please don't overreact to it.

This theory would work well if we ever saw Fushigidane express dislike of Lizardon before this episode, but I don't remember if he ever showed that.

Bulbasaur not wanting to evolve was such a bad decision. As an Ivysaur he would have helped Ash more but instead he was being irrational and that annoyed me. Even Solarbeam wasn't good compensation.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I was very disappointed to see Bulbasaur refuse to evolve. I like Ivysaur and Venusaur design-wise much better than Bulbasaur. Even with Solar Beam, his moveset was underwhelming. The problem is, Ash seems to have no clue on how to handle bulky quadruped Pokemon such as Torterra.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was very disappointed to see Bulbasaur refuse to evolve. I like Ivysaur and Venusaur design-wise much better than Bulbasaur. Even with Solar Beam, his moveset was underwhelming. The problem is, Ash seems to have no clue on how to handle bulky quadruped Pokemon such as Torterra.

I don't think the sizes of Fushigidane's evolved forms are what prevented Satoshi's Fushigidane from evolving, however. Fushigisou is pretty much the same size as Fushigidane, anyway.

Daizy

I call you honey
Was the Rhyhorn trainer a Hiker from the games? Shame we didn't get to see Ash's Bulbasaur evolve even though evolution is a Pokemon's usual destiny.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
Was the Rhyhorn trainer a Hiker from the games?

He was apparently based on the design, and I find it fascinating how the same man appeared again with Sihorn in the second Opening theme song.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I don't think the sizes of Fushigidane's evolved forms are what prevented Satoshi's Fushigidane from evolving, however. Fushigisou is pretty much the same size as Fushigidane, anyway.

It's not the size that matters, but the design. Nobody would have liked to see Ivysaur on Ash's team instead of Bulbasaur.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
It's not the size that matters, but the design. Nobody would have liked to see Ivysaur on Ash's team instead of Bulbasaur.

I can understand why some fans dislike the middle stage Starters, but I don't think that Fushigisou is all-that different from Fushigidane. It's only slightly bigger and not that drastic of a change.

I was so mad when Bulbasaur refused to evolve that he instantly became my least favourite Pokemon that Ash owned in Kanto right after Squirtle. I thought that even though Ivysaur looked ugly, Bulbasaur needed the boost and even him learning Solarbeam wasn't a good consolation prize. I thought that the mysterious garden looked really cool and had the best animation out of all the episodes in Kanto. It just sucks how the plot was wasted. 5/10

The backgrounds and the mysterious garden looked really cool. I love how Bulbasaur didn't want to evolve but I don't like that TRio was here. I like that Bulbasaur is strong just the way it is, like Pikachu. Maybe the best episode of OS.