• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Buried Alive (A Mono-Ground OU Team)

Roughneck JB

The story behind this team begins with a hat...

Basically, the Pokemon Society at Uni where I am is hosting a Monotype tournament, for which we all picked our type out of a hat, and I drew Ground. And just when I thought about using my favourite new Ground type, Zygarde, I was told the tournament would follow the VGC banlist :/

And so, with lack of a Monotype tier on Gen 6 PS, I've been running various drafts of this team on PokeBank OU, and this one has been by far the most successful.

Now, I am well aware that Ground as a type lacks diversity among its pokemon, so I've had to try out some very unorthodox sets, and to my surprise some have worked rather well.

So, without further ado, here's the team:

;344;
Claydol@Passho Berry
Relaxed nature
IVs: 0 Spd
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SDef
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Explosion
- Protect/Stealth Rock

I figured Trick Room would probably be the best way for me to stop incredibly fast sweepers like Blaziken, and Claydol is the only Ground-type to carry it, so I picked him.
8/10 times, I lead with him, and either set up Trick Room or use Magic Coat to screw over Taunt leads & hazard setters. Once Trick Room is set up, Explosion guarantees a safe switch-in to Rhyperior, who then proceeds to sweep. I had Stealth Rock in the last slot before, but Protect wasadded to ease prediction after running into one too many offensive Greninja leads.
The Passho Berry is simply to remove one of his biggest specially-based weaknesses, since Item Clause is also in effect.

;464;
Rhyperior@Assault Vest
Solid Rock
Brave nature
IVs: 0 Spd
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 SDef
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

After going through a few potential Ground-type Trick Room sweepers, such as Diggersby, I decided on Rhyperior, who with Assault Vest, has enough bulk on both sides to be useful even outside of TR. Plus, with said bulk, he can take any neutral hit, and quite a few SE ones, on the switch-in should I decide to bring Claydol back out later.
Earthquake & Stone Edge for amazing dual STAB, Hammer Arm for messing up Normal-types, Ferrothorn & gaining a speed "boost" under TR, and Ice Punch for a handy weapon against Dragons.

:530:
Excadrill@Expert Belt/Shuca Berry
Adamant nature
Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw
- Rapid Spin

The best Ground-type spinner, a good mid-game pokemon, and with Mold Breaker, my main answer to non-Scarfed Rotom-W. EQ for STAB, Rock Slide for coverage, and Shadow Claw to nail the ever-prevalent Ghosts, who would otherwise block my Spin. Though I may slash in Chople Berry to take a Focus Blast from Gengar & OHKO back.
This aside, however, heseems to be the weakest link of my team at the moment, so I was considering switching him out for a wallbreaking Mega Garchomp, but the lack of Dragon resistance is putting me off...

;472;
Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Impish nature
Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SDef
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake/Taunt

I didn't want to resort to trolling with Poison Heal Gliscor, but in the end, I was left with no choice...
Substitute to block enemy attacks, while regaining half of the health lost with Poison Heal, Protect to regain the other half so I can freely Sub again, Toxic to slowly kill enemies, and Earthquake to deal with Steels, who are immune to Poison. I had some successes with Taunt, but the lack of offense against Steels proved to be a major problem...

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Bold nature
Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SAtk
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald/Earth Power
- Infestation

I know what you're thinking... "LOL Infestation WTF MAN DAT SO WEAK!!1!!" However, for a set I made up on a whim, this guy has been so successful as a Trapper it's not even funny!
Gastro comes in on any hit he can take (usually a Water one which are aimed at my team rather often. I wonder why... :p), and traps either the current poke or the switch-in with Infestation. The threat is then either outright killed or Toxic-stalled until it dies, or is at least in revenge-killing range. I don't know which attacking move to settle on, though. Earth Power hits almost every non-poisonable pokemon super-effectively, but Scald has a nice Burn chance, and the ability to hit Skarmory...
Notable victims of this set include a surprising number of top-tier threats, including Mega Mewtwo Y. However, his greatest success by far was when he trapped a Banded Azumarill locked into Aqua Jet, who got him up to +4 before it died. Gastro then swept half of the rest of my opponent's team, and one-shotted his Genesect!

:645:
Landorus@Choice Scarf
Timid nature
Sheer Force
IVs: 30 Atk, 30 Def
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

The final member of my team adds both formidable Special offense, and the ability to revenge-kill. Once the Life-Orb set I had before was outsped & killed one too many times, I switched it for a Scarf and never looked back...
Earth Power provides insanely powerful STAB, Sludge Wave has surprisingly good neutral coverage alongside EP, and this Gen, can swiftly deal with Fairies. Focus Blast is the best option to round off his coverage despite its poor accuracy, and HP Ice hits Dragons & Gliscor immensely hard, and picks off weakened non-Mega Gengar.

Attachments

• 344.png
    344.png
    1 KB · Views: 55