• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Burn with Passion, Litten! Down with Incineroar!! (1006)

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Kukui will be likely a champion and Torracat will evolve in the future.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Amazing episode. Wish at least 70-80% episodes were like this and Z move vs Mega episode. Everything was on point except that cringe-y buttshaking moment.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
tomioka is amazing, easily one of, if not the best writers in the series (though he has had a few duds, like bw001, which I consider the worst episode in the franchise, but then again he also had dp188, which I consider the best in the franchise)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Crowd chanting "LITTEN LITTEN LITTEN LITTEN" was so epic. It got me hyped!

Tbh I didn't know Kiawe's Alolan Marowak knew Shadow Bone.

Why does Ash need Rotomdex to explain to him what Flame Charge is? He already knows it from Pignite.

Why isn't Rowlet involved in any of this training they're doing together?

Where has Professor Kukui been hiding Incineroar all this time?

I think Incineroar is Professor Kukui's original starter

TORRACAT

Torracat's stronger than Litten but not yet strong enough to beat Incineroar. I'm glad they did it this way unlike last generation when Fletchinder was able to beat Talonflame after evolving.

When Mallow called Litten's Flame Charge "Simmering Charge" or "Flame Nudge", it reminded me of when Ash used to call Iris's Axew's Dragon Rage Dragon Sneeze.

I wonder whether Professor Kukui puts on the Masked Royal costume in bed because it turns on Professor Burnet.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Sad to see that the debut of my favorite Water type is its defeat at the hands of a Pokemon it's strong against. But Professor Kukui--er, Masked Royal, is strong, so I can forgive that. Also, if nobody can see Team Rocket through their disguises, Masked Royal's got a 100% chance of keeping his secret safe.

This was full of great battles. And I must agree that it was a good idea to have Ash lose to Masked Royal even when Litten evolved. Evolution isn't just a deus ex machina.

Lisa Ortiz must have loved this episode, considering she voices the Pokemon who evolved in this one. Abe Goldfarb evidently also had a blast voicing Kukui's two selves. Spectacular stuff.

The track playing over the training montage was easily the musical highlight of the episode. As good as Alola!! is, it just is not a training track by any stretch of the imagination. Training music is best for training montages, after all. But the return of Litten's theme when he went into the ring was also very nice. Hopefully notes of it will be present in Torracat's theme.

This one was lots of fun.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Why does Ash need Rotomdex to explain to him what Flame Charge is? He already knows it from Pignite.

And how is Rotom supposed to know that info? Assuming it even met Pignite back in Kanto, there's no indication it ever saw it use the move.

And, as always, explanations are for the audience. They are never for Ash unless it's actual new information for him.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina all debut at the Battle Royal.

This is the first time all three fully evolved starters debut in the same episode. Gen I was the closest with both Venusaur and Blastoise debuting in episode 20. Even then, those were conjured up by Gastly, so not even really clear if they count as debuts, but Bulbapedia counts them that way.

Really enjoyed the episode, The Masked Royal was really something else! Wish Kukui was around to see him and Litten evolve!

;)

I think the only people who know it's Kukui is Prof Burnet and Litten.

I wonder why Lycanroc can't detect his scent.

'brat boy'

Is this what they say in japanese rather than twerp?

trash trainers

wow. chill lol

Watching Litten/Torracat battle Incineroar and not winning, had me thinking back to Pikachu vs Tapu Koko (they have a ways to go).

Indeed! Great comparison

I think Ash could get an Incineroar. SOMEONE should showcase the Dark Z-Move, after all.

Team Rocket

I hope we get a focus episode for both of them soon to show just how strong they can really be. If not, then bad move on the writers part.

agreed

What's his relationship to Ed?

And how is Rotom supposed to know that info? Assuming it even met Pignite back in Kanto, there's no indication it ever saw it use the move.

And, as always, explanations are for the audience. They are never for Ash unless it's actual new information for him.

Good point. I guess having a sentient Pokédex changes things up from Gen V.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Yep, the recent Japanese credit song was even called 'Brat boy'.
wow haha. That's funny. What do they call the girls? 'brat girl'?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Bingo. Also used in said credit song.
And are these terms the English translation of what they're saying in japanese, or are they literally saying the English word?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Fun episode. Great voice acting here by Jelle Amersfoort as Professor Kukui. His regular Kukui is close to his normal voice, but he really changes it up for the Masked Royal. Too bad Rowlet didn't join in with the training, not sure why not. Maybe it was asleep?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ryu Taylor said:
And I must agree that it was a good idea to have Ash lose to Masked Royal even when Litten evolved. Evolution isn't just a deus ex machina.

I was glad when Satoshi and Nyaheat lost as well, although in my case it was mainly due to my preference for Gaogaen. I just didn't want it to lose against its pre-evolved form.

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Seeing all of the starters' final evolved forms were cool, but it wasn't really a proper debut for them. Decidueye and Primarina both need a proper show off. And Dartrix have yet to debut. Litten evolving into Torracat was cool, gaining experience from both Dusk Lycanroc and Masked Royal's Incineroar. Too bad for those that tried to go up against Incineroar, it didn't even flinch.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Either my DirecTV is drunk, or they listed the episode number wrong ahead of the next one.

Ash, you freaking know what Flame Charge is. Don't tell me you forgot the fire bird you had before that spammed it a lot... Oh, right. You had a legendary frog whom you cared for more.

...Oh god, no. Not again. Not the disturbing Twerking Training Montage again!

You’re not the best!

Anywhere!

That Incineroar’s gonna keep you down

You’re not the best!

Anywhere!

That Incineroar’s gonna keep you down

You’re not the best!

Anywhere!

That Incineroar’s gonna keep you dow-ow-ow-ow-own.......
That Incineroar likes changing sizes whenever it holds Litten by its head.

I guess this time they decided to keep the anime-only visual effects for Bulk Up permanent, except less comically dramatic (which is weird, considering what this region likes).

Well, that's it. Decidueye won't probably ever be for Ash. They want him with a giant wrestling cat.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Don't tell me you forgot the fire bird you had before that spammed it a lot...

Pignite also had it, and it was arguably his most used Pokémon in Gen V.

Well, that's it. Decidueye won't probably ever be for Ash. They want him with a giant wrestling cat.

UGH, so we're going to get a Dark-type ace for the third straight gen, and STILL no Ghost type.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Quick someone go find Hawlucha, he needs to battle inside of that wrestling arena place! HURRY!

Moving back to current events, a lot happened and I did not see the evolution coming.
Amazing episode. Wish at least 70-80% episodes were like this and Z move vs Mega episode. Everything was on point except that cringe-y buttshaking moment.
Indeed, that was one of the strangest training montages I have seen in a long time but I suppose it is fine if every now and then the characters are in "not serious" mode.