• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Burning Deadfall (Advanceshipping) Rated R

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Actually... now that I think about it, I'll have to say no. It'd be funny as all hell, but also major values dissonance with my stance on one of the plot points. So I won't do that. Pity, I'll have to come up with some other running gag, then.

And yeah, I know what you mean. But I'm sticking close to the vest on this one. Changing my ideas too often will just end up with me unable to fix problems that arise with older chapters that have been set up. I've run into that problem too often for my liking.

ThatOneQuilava

Phew... I was kinda worried. Maybe you should have Vincent raise a Magicarp into a Gyarados? On second thought, no. He's already got Typhlosion and the rest. He's fine... Just stick to your guns and write what you think is best. We'll love it either way,

;156;

Sethern

[Insert Cool Title]
I think the reason people are so insistent about Vincent being Ash is because this is an Advanceshipping fic. Also about what you said how they only share a few things in common doesn't mean they're the same person. It doesn't mean that, they are, but being in a traumatic accident, and playing dead no contact with loved ones and time to change. People change. Also so far I feel this is a more PG-13 rating unless you are going to add some more stuff. Not complaining or anything just pointing out.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Also so far I feel this is a more PG-13 rating unless you are going to add some more stuff. Not complaining or anything just pointing out.

Trust me Seth... it's more than justified. By the end of the story, it'll have earned an R rating. This was just the first chapter... and compared to how dark the story gets later on, this one was a cakewalk.

ThatOneQuilava

Trust me Seth... it's more than justified. By the end of the story, it'll have earned an R rating. This was just the first chapter... and compared to how dark the story gets later on, this one was a cakewalk.

Cake? Cake? Where. Now.

An R-rated fic? Bro, there must be some pretty gruesome stuff in store for this fic... Ah well, I've got no problems with that. Just write. We'll read :).

P.S. That cake better not be a lie...

;156;

lunarshadow

Hadou Aprentice
The review proper:

Opal, opal, opal...

What an odd choice of color. Couldn't you chose something like sapphire, or ruby, or emerald? Those images come easily to my head, yet opal doesn't really have that effect. I say this only because I can't honestly remember reading Opal's shadow before. I suppose I must have since you remembered me, but it has been only so incredibly long since I was ever invested in the Serebii forums, and that was way back in the waning days of high school.

That being said, Prologue.

Might I say that you have a way with words? I don't mean dialogue or cliffhangers, but a way with words! Everything you've written in this exposition was incredibly well described. The parallels that you drew from Ash's name to the state of May's maple leaf? Quite ingenious and brilliant if I may say so.

You've chosen the fallen hero archetype, the variant which the hero is thought to be have passed away forever, only to emerge once again with renewed strength. You're writing it with such a greater level of detail that Ash's absense actually seems to have an effect on others! It seems that this level of emotion hasn't commonly been duplicated, and for that it deserves immediate commendation.

I'm a little bit unsure why you wanted to introduce Vincent so soon. I would've personally held him off till a later chapter since this was only the exposition.

Chapter 1:

Wow. I'm not sure I like Vince as a person, but I love him as a character! It seems you've really struck a substantial nugget of understanding when you say that Vince is broken inside, just like May is. I think it could also be said that that's a common trait of the over-analytical. I think those who've truly lost something are all the more calculating for it if they try to burry their feelings. The way that Max and Vincent are calculating each other's moves is supremely interesting.

I've always taken issue with the idea of paternalism, which is the paradigm of exposing other people's faults and chastizing them for it. Basically what I mean is that a lot of Pokemon fanfiction usually takes an OP character and gives him monologues that demonstrate why his strategy is flawless and the opponent's is weak in every way. I'm not sure if it's just a self-satisfying way to write battle banter, but for some reason it grinds my gears. I understand it though. In chess, we calculate moves way into the future, examine which trees lead to a "better" position and then say how the opponent obviously made a huge mistake by not seeing it. I guess it's especially hard for me to coast along with reading two characters both doing that to each other.

Other than that? Stunning, flawless battle descriptions. I see every movement, every dodge, every manouver into a countering mega punch, the burned fur, the Kangaskan's kid, the giant *** Hyper beam, it breaking, the power whip, the collossal dodge, etc, etc. Love it, love it, love it. MOAR

So wait... Vince is Ash, yes? And an agent of some organization!? Briefing and files? Body guard? Protection? What the flying Fearow is going on. See, here's what's truly interesting about putting words to paper. YOU know who he is, but we don't. WE'VE read a bunch of sub-par return of the hero fics where the hero returns in chapter one. We can't HELP but think that you've done the same since it's practically a mandate of God to write that. Who knows? If he is a red herring, I'd be damned and proud to read something finally truly original.

But those words... "bloodied rubies"? Godamn. I could steal that straight up.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
The review proper:

Opal, opal, opal...

What an odd choice of color. Couldn't you chose something like sapphire, or ruby, or emerald? Those images come easily to my head, yet opal doesn't really have that effect. I say this only because I can't honestly remember reading Opal's shadow before. I suppose I must have since you remembered me, but it has been only so incredibly long since I was ever invested in the Serebii forums, and that was way back in the waning days of high school.

Well, you did... and you left like, six reviews, I think (looked it up, actually four). Anyway, I chose opal because:

A.) it was the name of a posthumous character in the story who had a large impact on the version of Ash in that story.
B.) Opal is the birthstone of the month of October, which is the month that this character died and thus kicked off the current plot.
C.) That hazy, indistinct feel was exactly what I wanted to inspire. Opal is a sort of dulled rainbow effect; iridescence in its purest form. It was supposed to represent the intangibility of the character's issues and how difficult it would be for them to get support from each other. Of course, I promptly bungled the handling of this and made the entire story suck as a result =P

That being said, Prologue.

Might I say that you have a way with words? I don't mean dialogue or cliffhangers, but a way with words! Everything you've written in this exposition was incredibly well described. The parallels that you drew from Ash's name to the state of May's maple leaf? Quite ingenious and brilliant if I may say so.

Ahh, finally somebody notices! Thank you, I thought that nobody would see those parallels and the metaphors I was going for through them.

You've chosen the fallen hero archetype, the variant which the hero is thought to be have passed away forever, only to emerge once again with renewed strength. You're writing it with such a greater level of detail that Ash's absense actually seems to have an effect on others! It seems that this level of emotion hasn't commonly been duplicated, and for that it deserves immediate commendation.

Excellent, this is what I've been trying for all along.

I'm a little bit unsure why you wanted to introduce Vincent so soon. I would've personally held him off till a later chapter since this was only the exposition.

I wanted to get the ball rolling a bit early, as one of the complaints of Opal's Shadow was that it was very slow-paced. In hindsight, I probably could have done so, but I like the way it works out.

Chapter 1:

Wow. I'm not sure I like Vince as a person, but I love him as a character! It seems you've really struck a substantial nugget of understanding when you say that Vince is broken inside, just like May is. I think it could also be said that that's a common trait of the over-analytical. I think those who've truly lost something are all the more calculating for it if they try to burry their feelings. The way that Max and Vincent are calculating each other's moves is supremely interesting.

You're picking up on everything I'm trying to do! Excellent, and you've nailed it. That's why I wanted them both to be playing a back-and-forth game of analysis during the battle, and to keep showing their drifting thoughts through asides like Vincent's amazement over the trust Kangaskhan had in May, or Max constantly trying to figure out what makes Vincent tick. It was hard to do both and stay in Max's POV, but I'm glad it came across.

I've always taken issue with the idea of paternalism, which is the paradigm of exposing other people's faults and chastizing them for it. Basically what I mean is that a lot of Pokemon fanfiction usually takes an OP character and gives him monologues that demonstrate why his strategy is flawless and the opponent's is weak in every way. I'm not sure if it's just a self-satisfying way to write battle banter, but for some reason it grinds my gears. I understand it though. In chess, we calculate moves way into the future, examine which trees lead to a "better" position and then say how the opponent obviously made a huge mistake by not seeing it. I guess it's especially hard for me to coast along with reading two characters both doing that to each other.

I don't know how I really did that. The only part that could be construed that way is when Vincent is chewing out Max over they way he beat Houndoom and after he beat Spinda. If I did, would you mind pointing out where, so I know what to avoid later?

Other than that? Stunning, flawless battle descriptions. I see every movement, every dodge, every manouver into a countering mega punch, the burned fur, the Kangaskan's kid, the giant *** Hyper beam, it breaking, the power whip, the collossal dodge, etc, etc. Love it, love it, love it. MOAR

Looks like this is still my specialty. Thanks for validating this.

So wait... Vince is Ash, yes? And an agent of some organization!? Briefing and files? Body guard? Protection? What the flying Fearow is going on. See, here's what's truly interesting about putting words to paper. YOU know who he is, but we don't. WE'VE read a bunch of sub-par return of the hero fics where the hero returns in chapter one. We can't HELP but think that you've done the same since it's practically a mandate of God to write that. Who knows? If he is a red herring, I'd be damned and proud to read something finally truly original.

Why would I just do a typical red herring? That'd be just as boring, in its own way. If I do something to this effect, expect it to have a twist.

But those words... "bloodied rubies"? Godamn. I could steal that straight up.

=D

Thanks so much for this review, Lunar. I'm glad to have someone who sees exactly what I'm trying to do, for what it is. Also for the constructive criticism, which is rare anymore.

GLaDOS Voice: And yes, both of you will get your cake. And you can eat it too.

Last edited:

Goldenblaze

Burn Baby Burn!
I love this fic for three reasons...

First, the battles aren't bland, for example just going "Use hyper beam." You write it, and it paints a clear picture in my mind.

Secondly, the way you go in-depth describing characters, not just going "He was gloomy", but instead words like "See the shadow hanging over him". Absolutely amazing!

Finally, and I think someone has said this before, but oh well, I have noticed your parallels. I just wish I was the first to comment on them :(

Anyways, great fic! Keep up the good work!