• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Butterfree and Me! (791)

p96822

Evolve me please
I really like this episode and I though it would be bad. Team Rocket wasn't need for this episode

Anima

Caterpie in sewaddle headwrap? *dies from cute overload*

Ahem, anywho... I don't think I saw a single female butterfree in that swarm. Of course all I can see are the screenshots... Bleh.

Hikatoshi26

That was a nice episode sure.....no Hoes before Bros Butterfree but I thought it cool. He trained with a Caterpie (He Remembered his own!) Ran from a Ursaring and even shed some tears when Butterfree left. I think that was the first time he cried around Cilan and Iris which is why she was shocked although they were tears of joy. Although it wasn't what I hoped for it was a very good episode. Now I wait for next week.

It was Confusion. It learned Confusion and Psybeam upon evolution.

Fixed that for you

This episode....well it was entertaining. There were some amazing comical moments. A one or two time watchable as it brings you a chuckle.

My most favorite moment is Cilan trying to climb the vines. Even if the episode itself is not excellent, the episode has showed a few quirks like how Cilan gets tired easily after running a bit etc.

The animation. Now normally I don't talk about animation because I don't have the same artistic observatory skills as a few do, but even I could find many icky moments in this episode. There were too many mistakes especially the when Ash cries. His eyes seem like they abruptly disappear, because they didn't do the shading or whatever well. Ash's face is disfigured for half a second in one scene. Ursaring running away after Thunderbolt seemed to be terrible too. Many more complaints but I will leave that to those who actually care for it.

Caterpie was cute. The point of this episode is pretty simple: Make Ash relive the moments he spent with his Caterpie with a slightly different, lazy Caterpie. In the end, the scene where Butterfree was very emotional, but after watching the original departure, I couldn't feel the same sadness.

But this episode would have had double the sadness had Ash suddenly remember how he departed with his original Butterfree in a similar fashion, and cry for parting the present one and also remembering the one he originally released.

I liked how Iris asks Ash if he is crying but Ash says wiping his tears, "How could I cry in a wonderful moment like this."

Last edited:

jrizza88

Meteorite
Fixed that for you

This episode....well it was entertaining. There were some amazing comical moments. A one or two time watchable as it brings you a chuckle.

My most favorite moment is Cilan trying to climb the vines. Even if the episode itself is not excellent, the episode has showed a few quirks like how Cilan gets tired easily after running a bit etc.

The animation. Now normally I don't talk about animation because I don't have the same artistic observatory skills as a few do, but even I could find many icky moments in this episode. There were too many mistakes especially the when Ash cries. His eyes seem like they abruptly disappear, because they didn't do the shading or whatever well. Ash's face is disfigured for half a second in one scene. Ursaring running away after Thunderbolt seemed to be terrible too. Many more complaints but I will leave that to those who actually care for it.

Caterpie was cute. The point of this episode is pretty simple: Make Ash relive the moments he spent with his Caterpie with a slightly different, lazy Caterpie. In the end, the scene where Butterfree was very emotional, but after watching the original departure, I couldn't feel the same sadness.

But this episode would have had double the sadness had Ash suddenly remember how he departed with his original Butterfree in a similar fashion, and cry for parting the present one and also remembering the one he originally released.

I liked how Iris asks Ash if he is crying but Ash says wiping his tears, "How could I cry in a wonderful moment like this."

Ash did cry, and I think it was obvious because he thought about his original butterfree departing this way, just like the one that just evolved. I kind of wished it stayed with Ash and Co., but then again, how many battles would it get? Like 2 before it gets oaked? lol

*edit* it would be EVEN sadder if they actually showed the images from that part, but I think it was sort of implied regardless.

Last edited:

Rohanator

I'm pretty sure that was the intention. I'm sure Ash cried BECAUSE he remembered the parting with his own Butterfree. And when he said his final line "Butterfree...someday we'll definitely..definitely meet again." he meant his own one. They've parted with countless people and Pokemon they've bonded with within a single episode, Ash crying now is him thinking about when this happened for the first time. This is what I believe.

Ash did cry, and I think it was obvious because he thought about his original butterfree departing this way, just like the one that just evolved. I kind of wished it stayed with Ash and Co., but then again, how many battles would it get? Like 2 before it gets oaked? lol

*edit* it would be EVEN sadder if they actually showed the images from that part, but I think it was sort of implied regardless.

That's what I'm saying. They should've shown a few images instead of implying it. Because a few people can be hounds in discussions and can say they don't see such an implication and say w're over-interpreting it.

I think so too. Ash wouldn't have cried had it just been this Butterfree...but then again he could. He got a bit attached to it.

@Rohanator: Yes, I did rewatch the scene. Yes, it does seem that way! Gosh, now the whole episode seems wonderful to me. Just a difference of interpretation did that!

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
This episode was fine from the pics, good to see Leavanny and even if Butterfree didnt appear, at least flashbacks. What really annoyed me though was the ending. Why does Ash cry for a wild Butterfree he helped? I mean, sure maybe he remembered his own. But the ending was like, 80% like the Bye Bye Butterfree's ending. I would be alright with him being sad, but crying, yelling at Butterfree who then turns around... at least Pikachu didn't cry :p

Anyways, the episode seemed good apart from that ending :p The animation looked awesome, specially the Butterfree :p

Wait, did TR try to steal Metapod and Pikachu, or only one of them?

Rohanator

This episode was fine from the pics, good to see Leavanny and even if Butterfree didnt appear, at least flashbacks. What really annoyed me though was the ending. Why does Ash cry for a wild Butterfree he helped? I mean, sure maybe he remembered his own. But the ending was like, 80% like the Bye Bye Butterfree's ending. I would be alright with him being sad, but crying, yelling at Butterfree who then turns around... at least Pikachu didn't cry :p

Anyways, the episode seemed good apart from that ending :p The animation looked awesome, specially the Butterfree :p

The scene was similar on purpose obviously, to pay homage to it. Ash crying thinking of how this happened before is perfectly reasonable. I would probably too. And it's not like he actually properly cried, he just shed a couple tears. You can cry at fictional stuff so you should be allowed to cry at a real memory too.

EDIT: TR tried to get Pikachu only, they went all dafuuq when they noticed Metapod on board.

Last edited:

You answered your own question.

TR only wanted Pikachu. I know people are crying that they have returned to their DP selves, but their behavior today told me they had returned to their OS Episode 2 selves rather than DP selves. Get what I am saying? They're not being silly like they were in DP and AG but at the same time they say "Yana Kanji!" when they blast off, but at the same time their actions are serious and the only want Pikachu. All of this is foreshadowing something imo. I mean they could've returned to their DP selves and capture a couple of Butterfree or capture the Metapod..but the only wanted Pikachu! They specifically say that and even do that.

This TR is definitely not DP TR or AG TR. I am sensing a difference.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
The scene was similar on purpose obviously, to pay homage to it. Ash crying thinking of how this happened before is perfectly reasonable. I would probably too. And it's not like he actually properly cried, he just shed a couple tears. You can cry at fictional stuff so you should be allowed to cry at a real memory too.

EDIT: TR tried to get Pikachu only, they went all dafuuq when they noticed Metapod on board.

Eh I guess that makes sense. What would have killed the episode would be if Ash had given Butterfree a piece of clothing lol

Sprinter1988

This looked okay, but it sort of feels like they just rehashed the entire basic story line that Ash's Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree had over nineteen episodes and crammed it into one.
Also were the Caterpie off model? I understand with the main one, it looked fatter to go with his lazy personality, but Ash's Caterpie looked the same in the flashback.
Anyway, we've had three flashbacks to Ash's first bug in recent series - twice in the Sinnoh Saga and then now. Perhaps they'll decide to work Pidgeotto in propery somewhen, rather than just as an extra in a flashback of one of his other pokemon.
Why Ash couldn't catch this Butterfree is beyond me. He bonded with it in a way that he hasn't with any wild pokemon ever before (except legendaries) and it knew Confusion and Psybeam. Especially when edivence suggests that in next week's episode Ash is gonna attempt to catch a Dunsparce.

Anyway, an episode that was enjoyable for what it was, and that's it. Nothing stands out too much, but better than most of the DA series so far.

Rohanator

This looked okay, but it sort of feels like they just rehashed the entire basic story line that Ash's Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree had over nineteen episodes and crammed it into one.
Also were the Caterpie off model? I understand with the main one, it looked fatter to go with his lazy personality, but Ash's Caterpie looked the same in the flashback.
Anyway, we've had three flashbacks to Ash's first bug in recent series - twice in the Sinnoh Saga and then now. Perhaps they'll decide to work Pidgeotto in propery somewhen, rather than just as an extra in a flashback of one of his other pokemon.
Why Ash couldn't catch this Butterfree is beyond me. He bonded with it in a way that he hasn't with any wild pokemon ever before (except legendaries) and it knew Confusion and Psybeam. Especially when edivence suggests that in next week's episode Ash is gonna attempt to catch a Dunsparce.

Anyway, an episode that was enjoyable for what it was, and that's it. Nothing stands out too much, but better than most of the DA series so far.
Maybe to not dishonor his original Butterfree, whom he still clearly wishes to meet again someday. Besides, the whole point was to help it grow into a Butterfree so it wouldn't get left behind by the others. If Ash wants to help a Pokemon do something like this he's not gonna suddenly back stab it and throw a ball at it.

Why would Ash want to catch this Butterfree is beyond me ?

LOL WUT?

No, I am not kidding. This episode was meant to be a type of rehash to the Kanto Butterfree. He raised that cute little thing so that it could evolve and join the other Butterfree.

Ash says something along this lines, "My friend was also a Caterpie. Will you let me help you evolve?" The whole purpose of this episode was to make Butterfree evolve and join its friends.

So, I can't see why Ash would want to catch that Butterfree

As for why this episode was written...Maybe the storyboard decided that having Ash spend in a flash back so soon after the Charizard one might seem similar, so they've decided to take a unique approach and rehash it instead.

The ending scene where Ash departs is too similar with the original. I guess they want older fans to remember the original Butterfree.

Virgil134

PMD Writer
I think this is the best DA episode so far, even surpassing the Oshawott one. Sure it's still a DA episode so it wasn't fantastic, but it was alright. Putting the whole "it's not Ash's Butterfree" thing aside, I think this episode had a decent plot. I liked how Ash helped that Caterpie evolve, even though he easily could have caught it at the end. (Would have given a LOT of controversy among fans though) The TRio was acting stupid again like expected. Apparently they are going back to grabbing Pokemon with rubber hands. Nonetheless, they were slightly better than they were in the Oshawott episode.

6.5/10

Lucas MV

Well this episode was good overall. I'm dissapointed because I wanted to see Ash's Butterfree and because I expected longer flashbacks. But still it was a good episode.
Caterpie was funny, and evolving after fighting Ursaring was nice. I don't know why are you bothered by TR appearing here. I mean, Metapod had to evolve somehow. And Ursaring doing it again would be boring.
Oh memories, the part where Pikachu rides on Butterfree's back and Ash ordered both to attack at the same time, it brought back some feelings... I think something similar happened in OS with Ash's Butterfree and Pikachu.
About the end of the episode, my interpretation is that Ash remembered his own Butterfree leaving in a similar way and that's why he cried. I wish they'd show a flashback in that moment so that it can be confirmed. But it's heavily implied and it's the first thing that came to my mind when I was seeing it. At the end when he said "Butterfree some day we'll definitely meet again" , it means his own Butterfree.
That's what I think happened, and nothing will change my mind about it.

On another note, the ending changed... They kind of ruined it. Why are those ugly eeve girls in there? The ending was so perfect with all the old characters and pokemon in it. They just had to ruin it, meh.

8/10 to the episode, it was a nice throwback even when Ash's Butterfree didn't appear in person.

Last edited:

BlueDragonfangirl

Why would some people want Ash to re catch a Butterfree? That'd be aweful, thats like saying "Screw you Butterfree, I have an all new one and don't want to see you again!"
Any ways, pretty good episode and I liked seeing emotional Ash ^

Team Rocket's going to be in every episode againXD

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I'm going to be honest... I loved this episode. It's easily the best DA episode so far cause there's no competition. I'm actually so glad it wasn't another nostalgia-driven clip show and I'm kind of glad they kept the original Butterfree at bay. I really liked the Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree (same guy) in this episode and I kind of wish Ash caught it. Even the goodbye was a bit emotional for the short amount of time spent with it. I never thought Caterpies or Metapods could be cute before this episode.