• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Butterfree and Me! (791)

Haunter ゴースト

Finally watched the episode and it was brilliant, nothing more needs to be said.

It shows Ash is a caring trainer, nice reference to his own Butterfree, it was fairly emotional at the end and the musical score was incredible.

A good episode for Da!, yet a typical writer trolling-esque one.

7/10 is fair enough, IMO.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Yawn, another boring Da! episode with absolutely no point to it.

You answered your own question.

TR only wanted Pikachu. I know people are crying that they have returned to their DP selves, but their behavior today told me they had returned to their OS Episode 2 selves rather than DP selves. Get what I am saying? They're not being silly like they were in DP and AG but at the same time they say "Yana Kanji!" when they blast off, but at the same time their actions are serious and the only want Pikachu. All of this is foreshadowing something imo. I mean they could've returned to their DP selves and capture a couple of Butterfree or capture the Metapod..but the only wanted Pikachu! They specifically say that and even do that.

This TR is definitely not DP TR or AG TR. I am sensing a difference.

Not being silly? Forget watching the episodes, have you even been looking at the pictures?

I see we've reached the "Denial" stage of the Idiot Rocket worshippers' grief sequence, now that they've realized what awful characters those three actually are.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Why would some people want Ash to re catch a Butterfree?

It's been almost two years since Ash's last capture. The situation is so bad that people wouldn't mind awful Pokemon like Caterpie and Dunsparce being added to his roster. I guess it's to say that people are starved for some kind of development on Ash's part. He peaked during the first half of Best Wishes 2 and got progressively worse from there.

Ash doesn't seem against repeat captures. He tried to capture a Caterpie in the Orange Islands. He didn't want to try and capture this one because he knew it'd be happier with its friends.

You know. From experience.

Not being silly? Forget watching the episodes, have you even been looking at the pictures?

I see we've reached the "Denial" stage of the Idiot Rocket worshippers' grief sequence, now that they've realized what awful characters those three actually are.

Yup. I remember that I used to BE one of the idiots who thought they were better as idiots, but now even I believe TRio was better serious than they are now. They're now permanently cursed to being static characters...which is a shame, IMO. It would've been nice to see SOMEONE on the show go out a high note. Alas, Team Rocket are cursed to go down with Ash. :(

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex
And I thought it couldn't get any worse or pointless than the oshawott episode...but it did...this was basically a recap of butterfree's career in one episode without the epic battles and about 1/4 of the emotion...it would have been better if the script wasn't THAT predictable...I'm sure all of you guys knew what was going to happen play by play...sure if you enjoyed the in-between antics (like the montage or the ursaring), then more power to ya...but in the end it was just Bye Bye Butterfree all over again...even the flashback was short and I don't recall Ash even saying much about his old butterfree...if this episode was geared towards newer viewers who never knew about the old butterfree, then it would make sense...if it was meant to be a nostalgic episode, it really failed there...

Last edited:

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
If the dub episode uses Tears After Cloudy Weather during the departure... gah that will bring more feelings than this did. Why can't Ash ever keep a Butterfree?

MountNittany

All criticism aside, the ending to this episode was brilliant. "Bye Bye Butterfree" was one of my favorite episodes as a kid, and I loved how they almost exactly reenacted the ending scene from that episode. I would like to think the reason he started crying, along with letting this Butterfree go of course, was because it was bringing back memories of his own Butterfree, but to each his/her own. The music was also amazing this episode.

Of course Ash isn't going to catch this Butterfree... That's a no-brainer. In my opinion, the whole reason for this episode was to symbolize Ash's journey with his first Caterpie. Despite all the goofy plotholes that have been pointed out, I believe the episode got the point across.

To me, it was one of the more enjoyable episodes that has come out in the past few months.

You clearly didn't read my other posts. I watched this episode thrice. I am not in Denial. Of course since you like to generalize eveything, you can brand me whatever you want...but I don't really CARE for Team Rocket. I simply posted what I have observed in this episode and it's you who's being blind.

By saying TR wasn't silly in this episodes, I am talking about the stupid jokes, pranks, goofiness. If YOU actually watched this episode and not just saw some pics, you'll know the difference between DP TR and the TR we saw now. They were serious but at the same time also lost like they do every time, thus they are not their DP selves where they are overly silly but they were like their OS Episode 2 selves where they speak comically but not being completely silly and utterly annoying like their DP selves.

EDIT: P.S I am not saying they are being their BW serious selves either!

Last edited:

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
If the dub episode uses Tears After Cloudy Weather during the departure... gah that will bring more feelings than this did. Why can't Ash ever keep a Butterfree?
But Tears After Cloudy Weather is a background song from the Japanese version, they would only have it if the original had done so as well.

I'd agree with you. In general I've liked the OS JPN BGM more than any of the other series tracks so far.

I'm betting TPCi will just replace the BW JPN BGM with synthesizer music, though. Call it a hunch.

I'd agree with you. In general I've liked the OS JPN BGM more than any of the other series tracks so far.

I'm betting TPCi will just replace the BW JPN BGM with synthesizer music, though. Call it a hunch.

They've used a few OS Tracks or at least similar sounding ones in this episode...I was actually surprised by one. I don't remember its name and I can't exactly hum it here :x

They've used a few OS Tracks or at least similar sounding ones in this episode...I was actually surprised by one. I don't remember its name and I can't exactly hum it here :x

Yeah, I noticed. That was awesome. :D

No problem.

RVD_fan

One of the more charming episodes of Best Wishes

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
This was another DA filler as predicted, but it was a good one. I thought the Caterpie was adorable and I loved seeing it sleep. Normally I would've been angry about Ash's forcefulness, but I understood that he wanted to help Caterpie evolve so it could migrate with the others. Still, I thought it was annoying that Ash put that much effort into training a complete stranger yet he can't seem to train his own Pokemon that well. Whatever. I thought Team Rocket was a bit unnecessary, but they weren't too bad. I think the entire confrontation with them was done to show a parallel between this episode and the other Butterfree episode, but it seemed forced. I thought the ending of the episode was sad, but I didn't tear up or anything. Also, did anyone else think those wild Butterfree from near the end of the episode were dead? Like they were lying on the ground and assumed Butterfree slept in trees or something. But yeah, this was a nice, light-hearted episode. I give it seven kisses out of ten.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Seems like a good, emotional episode.

I got a kick at Dento looking terrified on that vine. Omg that was probably the first time he's ever done that (at least on the show). I'm happy Iris showed him how. :3

But the animation was simply horrifying. D8 I don't mean to be mean...but....it made my eyes burn.

EDIT: Sounds like some of the OS music has been remixed.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
This was an enjoyable episode, I actually felt like the emotion in this episode and all the bonding scenes are what did it for me. The music and scoring it also commendable in its own right. The concept of Migration Island - an island that is the gathering place for migrating Pokemon like Swanna, Butterfree and Tyltalis(And its pre-evolution.) was a nice real-world reference. Inclusion of more migrating bird and butterfly Pokemon like Agehunt would have been nice. Though I'm happy with what I got because generally real life references in Pokemon and treating them like animals in those regards are far and few between.

The Caterpie was quite adorable, its voice-acting and general mannerisms were refreshing with it being lazy as well as gluttonous. A sharp difference from Satoshi's old Caterpie since it was portrayed as being a Pokemon with low confidence and occasionally crying. I liked how Hahakomori appeared since he is a Bug-type too and Pokemon species known for parental actions and naturally playing a role in Caterpie's growth felt more than fitting. I noticed how at the beginning Satoshi was gung-ho on making the Caterpie evolve by battle training but changed up his methods and simply tried to evolve it by gradual light training and bonding. The scene with the Ringuma felt like a breakthrough scene where the Caterpie has come nice amount in strength where its willing to take on a significantly larger Pokemon. It's a nice highlight of Satoshi's caring fashion and the small flashback moment and allusions were a nice way of reinstating the love he's kept for Butterfree even after all this time.

It's amazing how the drawing looked so on point at some moments and so atrocious at others. Mainly at the end of the episode with Team Rocket, Psybeam and Butterfree's flapping wings with Pikachu jumping on its back for examples. The animation for Trancell's evolution was beautiful but the Butterfree evolution animation felt like step down in effort. Looking at the Cocoon's evolution animation you can see the physical change so vividly and beautifully, shame that the bland episode had such beautiful animation and the entertaining one gets the opposite.

Speaking of Team Rocket they were largely unneeded once again, their roles could have easily have been filled by a wild Pokemon of the day like earlier in the episode with Ringuma. I honestly do think the writers are going to put them in every episode again unfortunately. Pretty cool to see the newly-evolved Butterfree could use Psybeam and Confusion and seeing Satoshi commanding it despite not owning it officially, demonstrating the connection they had.

Migration Island certainly seemed....empty...as if Satoshi-tachi had the whole place as their own private island the whole week they were there. Never realized how mobile a cocoon Pokemon could be. Shame the String Shot rendition of Caterpie evolving couldn't be worked into here, it feels more natural and truly makes it feel more like a unique event and milestone. The final scene with Satoshi shedding tears because he likely remembered his own Butterfree was actually a heart string puller and the trumpet music tied the scene together well. We rarely see this kid cry or show and overly out there emotions so that was refreshing.

The animation was mundane but the episode was great. It showed Satoshi as a good trainer outside of actual combat and battle more so in the regard of how much he's willing to invest his time in another Pokemon and how much he loves them in-general. He got into the element of it all with Caterpie and helped it evolve into a Butterfree, we saw him doing it one step at a time, day by day, minute by minute gradually even with its lazy attitude. His considerate nature shined well in this episode.

Migration Island certainly seemed....empty...as if Satoshi-tachi had the whole place as their own private island the whole week they were there. .

I find that problem in many episodes. In the introductory N episode, even though many peole were shown boarding the ship, we only saw Satoshi-tachi and N inside. The same goes to a few scenes even in Da! except maybe the Cilan episode.

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!
Why couldn't Ash catch this Butterfree? It had Psybeam and Confusion...

The animation was really bad. Sometimes it was laughable. The episode overall was cute but overall unimportant like most of Da! so far unfortunately.

Not that it's the only reason, but (probably even after SUCH a long time as it has been) it would seem "wrong" in the anime's world (since pokemon are real creatures in the show obviously) for ash to catch a second of a species he already had before. Perhaps. Again, not that that is nearly the only reason (after all the show hypocritically does not follow the gotta catch em all theme, lol, though that does make sense plot wise), but it's a good point I think.