• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Butterfree and Me! (791)

Phoenix6000

An Alternate Reality
Did anyone else get very teary when watching this episode?
I was so sad and got quite angry they did not show Ash's buterfree. I wonder why they did not show it.

Sighs... this took me back years and made me remember those original episodes. :(

Definitely felt something when Butterfree took off and looked back. But like Ash said, why would anyone cry at such an awesome time?"

One of the only good episodes in the entire BWS2: Da! Series, IMO. Really manages to tug at your heartstrings like an OS episode would.

My only real complaints are:

1) Metapod's current dub voice is poor. I liked its old 4Kids voice a lot more...it just seemed so much more natural.
2) Cathcart's Professor Oak is annoying, as always.

All in all, I still give it a solid 9/10. One of the only episodes I enjoyed in the Da! arc.

HoagiethePokeBreeder

Poke’veteran
Butterfree separating from Ash was the saddest thing ever, it really grew to love Ash!

And Caterpie battling that Ursaring? That was such a cool and epic picture of the bond that Ash and Caterpie had formed. But that stench attack it used... it couldn't have been Electroweb or Bug Bite? Maybe a different version of Sweet Scent or Struggle Bug (even though it can't learn those).

I definitely recommend and enjoyed this episode very much, a blessing to watch!

9.5/10

God Bless!

EDIT: I just read in Caterpie's B2/W2 flavor text that it releases a stench from its red antennae to repel enemies. There's the answer :D

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Great episode. It made me miss Butterfree and I was kind of hoping the new one would go with Ash.

NPT

Just a member
Amazing episode, I really liked it. Iris's "little kid" comment was annoying, but the rest of the episode was great. It was nice to see Ash bonding with the Caterpie and helping it evlove into a Butterfree. I loved the scene where Ash remembered his Butterfree after seeing the Caterpie, but it would be even better if the Caterpie flashbacks were animated. I liked Ash in this episode, it's funny seeing him running into tree just to protect Caterpie. Team Rocket was really annoying in this episode, I hate it when they appear out of nowhere to steal Ash's Pokémon. I'm glad they blasted off.
The scene where Ash and Butterfree were saying goodbye to each other......was the best the scene of the episode. I'm sure Ash was remembering his own Butterfree when he was parting away with this Butterfree. *Sigh* I think this episode is one of the best Decolore Adventures episodes. It was so nice to see an emotional and heartwarming episode in the BW series after a long time, it reminded me of the episode "Bye Bye Butterfree". I liked The music they played when Ash was parting ways with butterfree. I don't know if it's an Original Japanese BGM, but it's really good.

Ash's Voice Actor Sarah did an awesome job voicing him in this episode. This time she put a lot of emotion in her Ash voice, which made the farewell scene emotional.

Last edited:

I have yet to see this episode, is this Ashs butterfree from Season 1? That would be cool

NPT

Just a member
I have yet to see this episode, is this Ashs butterfree from Season 1? That would be cool

No, the Butterfree in this episode is not Ash's, it's another Butterfree. Why don't you watch the episode on YT?

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
Not such a secret that this episode tugged on many a man's heart and of mine, for it reminded me of those sleepy childhood days and of that fateful cliff looking out towards the West bathed in the sunset long ago. Here, they're goodbye is welcomed by the breaking of dawn of the East vasty embrace. I weep and I shan't say do not do so for anyone else, for not all tears are an evil.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was a good episode, though I thought it'd be nice if Ash (maybe) got Butterfree back temporarily.

I was just slightly disappointed that Metapod doesn't evolve in the way we saw way back in the beginning of the show, with it actually breaking open and Butterfree coming out of the Metapod shell.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Beautiful episode, it really makes me shed a tear at the end, especially when butterfree feels so bad for Ash. I'm surprised they didn't mention that caterpie looked a little chunky, like it had been eating like a caterpillar does before it goes to its pupa phase. I liked the bond Ash had with it, remembering his old caterpie and butterfree.

10/10

JudySpell

Banned
This episode felt pointless since we didn't see Ash's old Butterfree. Instead of showing him train a Caterpie we should have gotten a better plot. 5/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I've always liked Caterpie cuz they're cute, so I was glad to see Ash bond with a wild one and help it evolve so that it could migrate off the island. Caterpie sleeping alot was adorable and its departure made me sad.

Leonhart

Imagineer
As cool as it was to watch Satoshi help a Caterpie, I didn't think that he should've spent all those days stuck on the island. I didn't mind when the Butterfree left in the end, but I have to admit that I would've liked seeing Satoshi's old Butterfree appear here, but alas. Okido-hakase's cameo was pleasant, though.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It was sad seeing Ash feeling down, because you know it was hard for him to say bye to the first Pokemon he ever caught, and even worse to see him say goodbye to the first Butterfree's connected with since then...

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
but I have to admit that I would've liked seeing Satoshi's old Butterfree appear here, but alas.

Me too since we hadn't seen him since OS, not counting flashbacks and his cameo appearance in Spurt. I kind of get why he didn't return here however. I mean it's too bad, but it would've seemed too convenient if he was living on this island.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Me too since we hadn't seen him since OS, not counting flashbacks and his cameo appearance in Spurt. I kind of get why he didn't return here however. I mean it's too bad, but it would've seemed too convenient if he was living on this island.

Eh, the anime has convenient moments frequently, so it wouldn't have been much of a stretch if Ash's old Butterfree had migrated to the island in this episode.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Eh, the anime has convenient moments frequently, so it wouldn't have been much of a stretch if Ash's old Butterfree had migrated to the island in this episode.

Well even by typical anime standards, I thought that Ash possibly encountering his Butterfree here would've been slightly contrived. I liked his Butterfree myself ha ha, but I thought that Ash simply helping a wild Caterpie made more sense.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Funny how Ash spent days doing charity work with the Caterpie and helped it evolve twice while he couldn't make some of his own Unova Pokemon evolve. :/