• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Buying a DS Phat in 2012 for Pokemon

Floette

Fennekin
Recently, I have been shiny hunting in Pokemon games. One particularly popular method is Soft Resetting- SR. Soft Resetting basically means you press certain buttons to return to the start screen without saving, so you can continuously hunt for a shiny pokemon.

This method often puts a lot of strain on the DS.

Because of this, I am extremely hesitant to use my Ltd. Pokemon White DSi, which is really quite frail.

That is the only DS I have at the moment, as I sold off my DS Phat years ago.

I am considering purchasing a refurbished DS Phat for the purpose of SR'ing. It is a lot more durable, easily replaced, rather cheap, and I wouldn't be concerned with bringing it around with me due to its stable nature.

Would you recommend buying a DS Phat? I can get one for $50 USD refurbished or $25 USD used.

This thing is barely sold anymore, but it is so durable and I would get tons of use out of it. I am extremely hesitant to SR on my DSi and I think this is a solution. But is it worth it?

-Would you recommend it?
-Do you still use a DS Phat sometimes?
-Is it worth it to buy when it is so outclassed now? (DS Lite, DSi, 3DS)
-Should the fact that its an older piece of technology put me off from buying it?

Roromiya

on hiatus
I was also thinking of getting another one so I can conserve my dsi(which is my baby C: )

It's a smart decision to buy one since SR strain's the buttons a lot , especially with me since I push too hard. ^_^'
Plus DS Phats are cheap, so its a good deal.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Recently, I have been shiny hunting in Pokemon games. One particularly popular method is Soft Resetting- SR. Soft Resetting basically means you press certain buttons to return to the start screen without saving, so you can continuously hunt for a shiny pokemon.

This method often puts a lot of strain on the DS.

I have never heard of soft resetting putting stain on the system.

Hell I done plenty of soft resetting on DS lite and it's still going strong, despite the D-pad being busted.

SirRob

Not a pervert
The L and R buttons on my original DS broke pretty early on during my time using it. I'm not sure if it's any more susceptible to that than the other versions, but it's something to keep in mind.

Floette

Fennekin
Hmm, thanks for all of the responses. I still can't make up my mind.

I may just get the DS Phat and be done with it.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Use your DSi. I've never heard of soft-reseting putting strainon a system. The only thing that's happened to me because of SRing is the L and R buttons busting.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Hmm, thanks for all of the responses. I still can't make up my mind.

I may just get the DS Phat and be done with it.

Don't you will be wasting your money on a system that you don't even need and very likely of a poor quality since the chances of you finding an unopened one is very low.

Use your DSi. I've never heard of soft-reseting putting strainon a system. The only thing that's happened to me because of SRing is the L and R buttons busting.

Jeez, just how hard are you pressing the L+R buttons just to soft re-set the system?

Floette

Fennekin
Haha, I guess the general consensus is that I should not buy a DS Phat.

Lucky me, I happened to find a really really poor quality one in my house that I didn't even know was there xD It is in (barely) working condition and I had to tape the screen hinge quite a bit with construction tape.. but it will work for SRing.

I guess the case is closed, unless this thing falls apart :p

Ausgirl

Personally I think it's a waste of money but I'm not really one to talk since I bourght both a dsi and a ds lite back in 2010. I mainly use the ds lite for trading between games and for migrating pokemon. It's also good for RNGing I've read. So I would recommend getting a ds lite cos you can do more with it. I don't think you should let the fact that it an older system put you off. Ever heard of retro players? I'm currently considering getting a N64 cos I wanna play some of the really old games again that I played during my childhood and other's which I wish I had played. In fact the fact that it is an older system makes the idea even more attractive because I know that it's a lot cheaper these days.

absolalone111

I've never had any problems either, probably just a myth, I have I think 3 DS phats lying around, in pieces, I recommend that if yo do go and buy one, not to get a refurbished one. Being someone who takes apart and fixes ds's for fun I can tell you its really easy to mess something up, after a while things could go wrong on it and it would be a pain for you.