• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BW 037: Roggenrola

Status
Not open for further replies.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Yes. But it could also be Sand Force (DW), but if any of Ash's Pokemon has to have their DW ability, I hope it is Oshawott.

It doesn't have Shell Armor, Shell Armor doesn't allow for Critical hits to happen, but Tranquill's Super Luck ability helped it to land a critical hit to win.

But yeah, Roggenrola would most likely have Sturdy, Ash having a Pokemon with Sturdy wouldn't be such a bad thing.

DarkWobbuffet

BEEEEAAAARR!!!

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Yes. But it could also be Sand Force (DW), but if any of Ash's Pokemon has to have their DW ability, I hope it is Oshawott.

Urgh like I said, no they can't, we know their DW abilities due to datamining, the Isshu Pokemons don't have their abilities released, we aren't supposed to know them, so they can't be in the anime.

Grey Wind

I'm not seeing Ash wanting to catch a Pokemon, and not catching it. I don't count Deerling merely because Ash would've tried to catch anything since he wanted a Unova Pokemon.
Adding on to that, Deerling wasn't the point of the episode. It wasn't even mentioned in any summaries. This episodes summary says he wants to catch it, unlike the one with the twenty-second Deerling thing.

kickachu

Momentai!
Adding on to that, Deerling wasn't the point of the episode. It wasn't even mentioned in any summaries. This episodes summary says he wants to catch it, unlike the one with the twenty-second Deerling thing.

That can't be it was when Pidove evolved and that was it.

Hollow Marowak

Ground Trainer
Seeing this episode makes me seriously doubt Ash will end up catching Palpitoad after all. They've had a couple back-to-back captures this season(Pidove, Oshawott and Tepig and Scraggy and Sewaddle) but I think capturing Palpitaod and then 2 episodes later Roggenrola is a bit much, especially considering how the writers handle rotation hasn't been great as of lately. Swadloon has had, what, 4 appearances? One since it’s evolution about 10 episodes ago? So, if Roggenrola is in fact captured, which seems likely, I hope they rotate it with Scraggy, keep Tranquil rotating with Swadloon. That way we can see the reserves an equal amount. Maybe we’ll have like a team A and B sorta deal:
A:
Pikachu
Oshawott
Tepig
Snivy
Scraggy
Tranquil

B:
Pikachu
Oshawott
Tepig
Snivy
Roggenrola
Swadloon

But, this is most likely mostly wishful thinking on my part.

Salamandre

they could have the larvitar scenerio with roggenrola where it'll sits inside ash's backpack(that he'll get from somewhere) and do battles when it's told

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Urgh like I said, no they can't, we know their DW abilities due to datamining, the Isshu Pokemons don't have their abilities released, we aren't supposed to know them, so they can't be in the anime.

That would be a good way to introduce one or two of them, no? Through the Anime?

*looks at King World's sig*

I see what you did there.

It wasn't because of just that.

It doesn't have Shell Armor, Shell Armor doesn't allow for Critical hits to happen, but Tranquill's Super Luck ability helped it to land a critical hit t
o win.

Maybe they didn't want to reveal Oshawott's ability yet, or couldn't decide on it?

But yeah, Roggenrola would most likely have Sturdy, Ash having a Pokemon with Sturdy wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Trip: I used Close Combat on your Roggenrola! Why didn't it faint!?!?!?!?

Ash: I dunno.

Cilan: *To Iris* How did he make it to the final 8 again?

Iris: Luck maybe?

Cilan: That can't be it.

Ash: I heard you!

R_N

T
Trip: I used Close Combat on your Roggenrola! Why didn't it faint!?!?!?!?

Ash: I dunno.

Cilan: *To Iris* How did he make it to the final 8 again?

Iris: Luck maybe?

Cilan: That can't be it.

Ash: I heard you!

I think this would be the one time where it would make sense for Ash to be clueless considering I don't think we've ever seen Sturdy in the anime before, muchless the NEW & IMPROVED Sturdy

That would be a good way to introduce one or two of them, no? Through the Anime?

While it would be a good way to do so, the fact is they've had plenty of opportunities and made a point not to.
The Mystery Egg could have held Unnerve Axew, Overgrow Pansage or even Rivalry Pidove but they didn't
Ash's Scraggy could have had Intimidate, but it didn't

Meanwhile, this Roggenrola's notable thing is knowing Flash Cannon
More Meanwhiler, Oshawott being special and having its Hidden Ability would probably be something more hyped up at this point

Last edited:

well we at least know that Oshawott and Snivy don't have their DW abilities. Trip's Tranquill was able to land critical hit on Osha and Snivy special attack don't increase after using Leaf Storm(they would at least showcase that). As for Tepig, we will know by next episode cause if it has thick fat then it will only take 0.25x damage from Vanilite's Ice moves which shouldn't even cause a scratch.

On Topic: How is Roggenrola rampaging? Is it firing Flash Cannon one after the other or does it know Rollout? Maybe it is warning other people and Pokemon of some possible disaster.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I think this would be the one time where it would make sense for Ash to be clueless considering I don't think we've ever seen Sturdy in the anime before, muchless the NEW & IMPROVED Sturdy

Probably right.

While it would be a good way to do so, the fact is they've had plenty of opportunities and made a point not to.
The Mystery Egg could have held Unnerve Axew, Overgrow Pansage or even Rivalry Pidove but they didn't
Ash's Scraggy could have had Intimidate, but it didn't

Maybe they don't know about them yet either?

Meanwhile, this Roggenrola's notable thing is knowing Flash Cannon
More Meanwhiler, Oshawott being special and having its Hidden Ability would probably be something more hyped up at this point

Cilan has said it was special because it used it's shell for defense all the time.

I should stop now.....

Dwebble used the new Sturdy...

dman_dustin

well we at least know that Oshawott and Snivy don't have their DW abilities. Trip's Tranquill was able to land critical hit on Osha and Snivy special attack don't increase after using Leaf Storm(they would at least showcase that). As for Tepig, we will know by next episode cause if it has thick fat then it will only take 0.25x damage from Vanilite's Ice moves which shouldn't even cause a scratch.
Except you can't say that because leaf storm has never shown the loss of special attack like it does in the games.

If they aren't going to show a loss in sp. attack what makes you think they will show an increase of special attack.

Maybe it is warning other people and Pokemon of some possible disaster.

Would sort of make sense. It's said in the summary that there is a cave where water is leaking. Roggenrola was likely in that cave, got hurt, and went on a rampage. Probably why Oshawott lost so easy too, Roggenrola was already incensed from the leaking water in its home, Roggenrola probably felt even more insulted when Ash used Oshawott against it.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
When did it move fast?

In the Gym Battle. Swadloon got down by using String Shot...

Ain't that what we all hoped for Torterra?

A future Gigalith, should just be slow. No attempts to make it fast; to finally make Ash realize the benefits of having a pokemon that relies on other attributes to win. His speedy style has become predictable.

Just when you said that.. Autotomize... The user shaves of parts of its body to make itself lighter and sharply raise its speed stat... Or just Rock Polish.. That's more Ash-friendly...

So.. Uhm..
Roggenrola:
Ability: Sturdy
- Flash Cannon
- Autotomize/Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

If it by chance has Sand Force, then I can see it having Sand Storm instead of Stealth Rock..

I don't see this happening. In Sinnoh Ash was taking strategies into consideration and each gym he won, he used strategies which made him look like an experienced trainer. But in BW, three gyms have passed and there has been nothing from Ash side. All three gym battles looks like normal battles with little to no strategy(Mijumaru using water Gun on wall to pick up its shell doesn't count). Ash used a defensive Pokemon like Swadloon without any problem. So either they will make Gigalith faster just like Snorlax or maybe they will use it defensively without any problem.

I can't remember which strategy Ash used against Gardenia in order to win. Against Maylene he got lucky that beside activating Swift Swin, the sudden rain healed Buizel as well. Can't remember the strategy Ash used against Wake, but it seemed to me that he let Buizel do his thing. Switching it out when it was confused was smart though, though not a strategy you have when you start a battle. Against Fantina he had a strategy, it worked until to a certain point. Against Byron Ash used his battle wits again using Gliscor's Sand Attack effectivily, similar to how he used String Shot effectivily in his battle against Burgh. Against Candice pure power was the key, and Chimchar's Snowboarding skills.. Again, something I wouldn't call strategy as this wasn't planned at all. Against Volkner Ash tried really hard and basically got zip strategy. Electric attacks on a Electivire isn't strategy. Aside from that he had to rely on Blaze to win. That's not a strategy unless you use a SubBerry approach.

So only against Roark and Fantina did Ash come up with a valid tactical approach. The rest were made up on the spot, or relied on Ash's battle wits that he sometimes gets.

Chimchar's snowboarding can be compared to Oshawott using Water Gun to miraculously retrieve its shell. Gliscor using Sand Attack can be compared to Swadloon using String Shot to evade and win the match. It can even be said that Ash had a tactic to deal with Haderia's Shadow Ball's against Lenora as Tepig practiced that technique with its Ember in the Battle Club. Of course, it wasn't anything near the level of Counter Shield, but it was a technique, thought up prior to the gym battle and used effectivily.

Darmanitan's Zen Mode says hi..

Would sort of make sense. It's said in the summary that there is a cave where water is leaking. Roggenrola was likely in that cave, got hurt, and went on a rampage. Probably why Oshawott lost so easy too, Roggenrola was already incensed from the leaking water in its home, Roggenrola probably felt even more insulted when Ash used Oshawott against it.

I'd like that scenario. Kinda makes the bonding more legit, though boring... Ash tries to make up for what trauma he caused the little bugger, and then they fight of Team Rocket and everything's all right.. Seems like any other old capture episode to me though.

Flygon Master54

Ahh I'm back baby
Darmanitan's Zen Mode says hi..

Well technically that ability got showcased in the games normally. You know the zen mode statues and rage candybars.

I can't remember which strategy Ash used against Gardenia in order to win. Against Maylene he got lucky that beside activating Swift Swin, the sudden rain healed Buizel as well. Can't remember the strategy Ash used against Wake, but it seemed to me that he let Buizel do his thing. Switching it out when it was confused was smart though, though not a strategy you have when you start a battle. Against Fantina he had a strategy, it worked until to a certain point. Against Byron Ash used his battle wits again using Gliscor's Sand Attack effectivily, similar to how he used String Shot effectivily in his battle against Burgh. Against Candice pure power was the key, and Chimchar's Snowboarding skills.. Again, something I wouldn't call strategy as this wasn't planned at all. Against Volkner Ash tried really hard and basically got zip strategy. Electric attacks on a Electivire isn't strategy. Aside from that he had to rely on Blaze to win. That's not a strategy unless you use a SubBerry approach.

So only against Roark and Fantina did Ash come up with a valid tactical approach. The rest were made up on the spot, or relied on Ash's battle wits that he sometimes gets.

Chimchar's snowboarding can be compared to Oshawott using Water Gun to miraculously retrieve its shell. Gliscor using Sand Attack can be compared to Swadloon using String Shot to evade and win the match. It can even be said that Ash had a tactic to deal with Haderia's Shadow Ball's against Lenora as Tepig practiced that technique with its Ember in the Battle Club. Of course, it wasn't anything near the level of Counter Shield, but it was a technique, thought up prior to the gym battle and used effectivily.

I had forgotten this post and can't recall the original idea but I will try. Ash never makes a strategy before a gym match unless it is a rematch. So most of his strategies are made during battle. Lets see what strategies happened in those gyms that lead me to calling BW gyms(so far) funny.
Gardenia: Staravia blocking Cherubi vision using Sunlight.
Maylene: Buizel improvising Water Pulse(a newly learned move) with Aqua jet to match Lucario's power.
Wake: Can't remember anything. Maybe thats why I think it was most boring gym battle of Sinnoh.
Byron: Making Chimchar use Dig over and over which lead to Steelix falling in a pit and Chimchar finishing it off.
Candice: Only time when Ash successfully used Paul's Torterra defensive strategy. Chimchar snowboarding was awesome idea too. Wearing down your opponent and then attack is a strategy which even Hoenn league champion Tyson used.
Volkner: Not gonna talk about it. Blaze messed up the whole gym for me.

Now we can compare our BW gyms

First gym: no real strategy. Oshwott-using-water-gun-on-wall-thing was dumb. Funny thing was that Oshawott knew where to hit the wall. Maybe the rule was, no matter where the water hit the wall, the final destination was the shell.
Third Gym: String shot? Do I need to say more?

I am not saying that they are total crap but Sinnoh gyms were far more better. But at least we know that Ash will be able to handle Gigalith just as he controlled Swadloon.

Off Topic: One thing I found odd was that how is a Pokemon with so low speed supposed to use their attacks? The opponent can easily dodge a slow Pokemon. Maybe thats the reason they gave Grotle Rock Climb in the first place.

Flygon Master54

Ahh I'm back baby
Off Topic: One thing I found odd was that how is a Pokemon with so low speed supposed to use their attacks? The opponent can easily dodge a slow Pokemon. Maybe thats the reason they gave Grotle Rock Climb in the first place.

Just what I thought, tank pokemon just seem to take loads of hits and spam special based moves(or phisical based moves that does contact eg. rock slide, earthquake) then defend against attack and use a physical move. Giving grotle rock climb was a great think but then it seem to lose its tank status.

I hope roggenrola wouldn't just spam flash cannon and use a physical based move that includes contact like rollout or headbutt.

tommmmmmm

Grass & Poison PKTR
Maybe Oshawotts ability is shell armour, and thats why it blocks attack with its shell??? And i reckon ash will catch Roggenrola, it makes sence with Trip having that fighting type, but if they were going to show evolution via trading, wouldnt it make more sence for them to have to two bug types?

Flygon Master54

Ahh I'm back baby
Maybe Oshawotts ability is shell armour, and thats why it blocks attack with its shell??? And i reckon ash will catch Roggenrola, it makes sence with Trip having that fighting type, but if they were going to show evolution via trading, wouldnt it make more sence for them to have to two bug types?

have you actually read this thread or even just this page. It is proved the shell armor is not oshawotts ability since it got a 1hitKO critical hit from tranquils super luck. Case ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.