• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BW Team Rocket Discussion

What should the Anime do with The Trio?

• Bring back the funny version and feature them often.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Keep the current serious version.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Write them out after the conclusion of Best Wishes.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Keep the funny version but feature them less often. (every third episode or less on average)

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t mind the TRio not being in every episode but they should have remained blithe and funny. That is what they have been for all these years and that is who they are.

Not anymore.

As much as I liked the old Team Rocket, it would suck if they became silly again. After Best Wishes, they should either be written out of the show (which won't happen) or stay serious and evil.

Nikkoru_91

Vappy Trainer~
The Best Wishes version of Team Rocket is a nice harkening back to when they were actually a -THREAT-. I agree with the above poster. If the writers don't keep up making them a functional part of plot, they should be written out to save what little dignity they have left as characters.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Team Aero Leader
I'm gonna have to say I prefer the new, serious version by far. It hearkens back to the earlier episodes where they weren't pushovers there to get blasted off again every episode. This version is more like the hardcore Rockets I've faced in the games, and that, for me at least, is something I'd like to see remain in the show.

Vandslaux

I highly prefer the new.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
I'd like to see Team Rocket fall off a cliff, pick them up, then push them off myself.

I've been annoyed with them since Kanto and wish they would just go away for good.

Nekaku

I want them to stay serious till the end of unova then leave. The show can keep going on without TR since it has been seen in a few eps

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Even if they were not as serious as they are now, they were more serious in Kanto. They were threatening because Ash actually had to work to defeat them many times, they sometimes significantly impeded his progress (remember him almost being disqualified from the League because of them?) and they commanded a slight bit more respect than they later did. They had things like the St. Anne mission and the Porygon project that had good chances of succeeding. It wasn't until they stopped having a purpose that the problems started.

I won't say that they don't have problems now, but you're looking at it the wrong way. The Battle Subway plot (and presumably the Meteonite plot as well) were well-executed and carefully planned instead of impulsive nonsense with stupid robots and such. Keep in mind we also don't know yet where the data Zager had them steal will lead.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Even if they were not as serious as they are now, they were more serious in Kanto. They were threatening because Ash actually had to work to defeat them many times, they sometimes significantly impeded his progress (remember him almost being disqualified from the League because of them?) and they commanded a slight bit more respect than they later did. They had things like the St. Anne mission and the Porygon project that had good chances of succeeding. It wasn't until they stopped having a purpose that the problems started.

I just rewatched the entire Kanto saga recently, and TR were still treated like bumbling bad guys in many of the episodes. Its true they did seem more menacing and weren't defeated quite as easily, but there are still many episodes where they're literally goofballs.

I think it was somewhere around Orange Islands where they started getting less competent overall. Then by the time we got into Johto they basically stayed that way through all of AG and DP.

randomspot555

TR has always been comic releif. It's only the first dozen episodes or so where they're treated as legit threats, and even then, they're toying with the idea of making them "lovable bad guys", such as when they cheer him on for Lt Surge's gym battle.

starshapes

Rising Star
I'm gonna have to say I prefer the new, serious version by far. It hearkens back to the earlier episodes where they weren't pushovers there to get blasted off again every episode. This version is more like the hardcore Rockets I've faced in the games, and that, for me at least, is something I'd like to see remain in the show.

Jessie, James and Meowth are not "hardcore" Team Rocket members and they never have been. If the show wanted "hardcore" team Rocket members why not add in Attila and Hun. It makes more sense then completely and inexplicably changing the TRio's personality.

Also being serious doesn't make you efficient. Like I said, at the end of the day, this new Team Rocket is just stealing data, something the old Team Rocket could have done.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
For now, I think they should stay serious and have their lighthearted side as an kind of obfuscating stupidity, like what Meowth did while he was travelling with Cilan and co.
However, I don't think they should be totally 100% serious business all the time, wouldn't you like to see the TRio having an off day to relax and look over what they've been doing for the past few months?

Victory

Banned
I love how they are so serious now, it really gets me excited for what they are gonna do

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Its either Team rocket keeps the seriousness they have currently or we write them out of the series completely They had their time and now its time for them to go away or stay serious its the writers choice.

Nikkoru_91

Vappy Trainer~
I love how they are so serious now, it really gets me excited for what they are gonna do

Exactly! The new 'reboot' of Team Rocket makes their plots actually -interesting- again, and has returned them to the point where I don't audibly groan when I see them come on-screen.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Also being serious doesn't make you efficient. Like I said, at the end of the day, this new Team Rocket is just stealing data, something the old Team Rocket could have done.

Answer me honestly: could you have seen them pull off the Nacrene Museum heist before?

They are not just "stealing data." That's a bad call based on how useless they were during the 30 episode gap between Castelia City and Nimbasa City.

starshapes

Rising Star
Answer me honestly: could you have seen them pull off the Nacrene Museum heist before?

They are not just "stealing data." That's a bad call based on how useless they were during the 30 episode gap between Castelia City and Nimbasa City.

As a matter of fact I could see the old Team Rocket stealing the meteorite. They started copious amounts of profitable small businesses in their time; it's not a huge stretch to think they could steal a rock from a museum.

During the episode "Great Bowls of Fire" (254-Master Quest) Team Rocket almost pulled off a similar heist, meaning there was infrared security, of a gold plate but Wobbuffet messed it up. They have always been a very talented group of individuals.

I’ve been lurking these forums for a while now but I decided to make an account to talk about the new Team Rocket. I apologize in advance if I make any faux pas in regards to forum etiquette but be easy on me as this is my first post.

Anyway, I’ve been a fan of the show since the very beginning. I’ve seen every episode of Pokémon and I’ve concluded that the new The TRio is vastly inferior to the old model.

It is widely known amongst fans of the Anime that in the Sinnoh arc many fans started to complain about the “uselessness” of Team Rocket. Some fans were tired of the incessant rhyming, some were tired of the repeated failed attempts to steal Pikachu (or the Pokémon of the day), and some were just tired of the TRio in general. A clamor rose in some sects of the community to bring back the old, menacing The TRio that these fans loved as kids.

The only problem is that the aforementioned version of the TRio doesn’t exist. The TRio has always been comic relief and I would argue entertaining comic relief at that. Some people will say that this new The TRio just reflects a shift back to the competence, seriousness, and mystique that the TRio had in the first season. Anyone who believes the TRio ever possessed the first two qualities and the third one in more than just passing is suffering from amnesia or never watched the first season. James buying magikarp, Jessie calling the boss collect at the break of dawn, or meowth blasting off to staryu’s water gun at Mt. Moon was anything but serious and all these events took place within the first 20 episodes!

The TRio has never been serious and this lobotomy to their personalities is depriving us fans of entertainment. To those who want a serious and competent TRio, I would like to hear your thoughts. Is the new version competent? What have they done besides steal some data? The old TRio helped Ash in the fight in the Power of One and in the battle against Team Magma/Aqua. Individually, Jessie managed to earn 5 ribbons (although the 5th was questionable) and make it to the Sinnoh Grand Festival. Furthermore, the TRio as a whole managed to run copious amounts of successful and profitable small business which is arguably just as challenging as being a hacker.

The appearance of competence doesn’t exactly make you competent. The old TRio could have easily stolen data, or do whatever it is the new team rocket does, and kept their entertaining quirks. If anything the new TRio is less capable then the old ones because they are simply glorified hackers (and failed Pokémon thieves just like the originals) instead of versatile Jacks of all trades like the old JJM were. I don’t mind the TRio not being in every episode but they should have remained blithe and funny. That is what they have been for all these years and that is who they are.
It's not just that they steal data. Let me explain.

Firstly, have you SEEN BW011? Did you see all their ninja like moves, and whatnot to get into their security? Same goes for BW015.

Also when they're not doing a mission and just merely harassing Ash, they're doing a damn fine job at that. I mean, in the Druddigon episode it took Ash and Co almost all of the entire thing rescuing the dragon. Also, their plots are a lot more clever, especially the Roggenrolla one where they were EXTRACTING ENRGY FROM ROCKS! The old TR wouldn't do that.

Also in the fishing episode, they decided it would be smarter to spend time getting away instead of catching Pikachu. A lot of the reasons why Team Rocket would fail was because they would do the opposite

Soperman

The One and Only
I say the serious versions are idiotic and cheesey. Even worse than the originals, which were basically there for conflict until the creators can think of something interesting or creative.
Take them out, they're wastes of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.