1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

BW Team Rocket Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by playerking, Dec 10, 2010.

?

What should the Anime do with The Trio?

1. Bring back the funny version and feature them often.

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. Keep the current serious version.

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Write them out after the conclusion of Best Wishes.

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Keep the funny version but feature them less often. (every third episode or less on average)

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeul

Yeul Green Eyed Girl

Okay, you mentioned the the BW TRio where you should mention the originals and vice versa.
    Posting these days just to complain, what a waste of valuable time!

2. starshapes

starshapes Rising Star

Let's look at results. What have they accomplished besides stealing rocks and data? Team Rocket always had clever plots and they cool moves to break security.

For instance in "Great Bowls of Fire (244)" they infiltrated a high tech security system with infrared data. In "The battling Eevee brothers (40) " they put up a better fight than I've seen in all of Best Wishes. The old Team Rocket was not as incompetent as you think and the new Team Rocket isn't as competent as you think.

3. Yeul

Yeul Green Eyed Girl

That's still very few and far inbetween. BW Team Rocket has shown consistency in their competence, and they know when it's best to run rather than fighting 'til one side drops.
    Besides, you mentioned two episodes with a 204 episode gap, which is almost four years or so apart from eachother, while in Best Wishes this is WAY more closely bundled together, and for the better.
    It's all for the sake of plot, y'know?

4. Well I guess their achievements is rather the same. But they are also a lot less annoying than they were before. They feel like actual antagonists, not comic reliefs.

5. starshapes

starshapes Rising Star

I could list quite a few more examples like that. The issue is that the new TRio isn't inherently better. They are still weak Pokemon battlers, at least substantially weaker than Ash seeing as they lose to him just as convincingly as before, they still haven't stolen any Pokemon, and they still haven't done much of anything besides pilfer a rock and some data.

The TRio didn't need to become serious to do those things. They could have been fairly more competent while still maintaining some of their comedic side. The writers threw the baby out with the bathwater.

6. But the problem is their comedic side wasn't funny, and was just purely annoying. I'd rather have no personalities at all than...that

7. starshapes

starshapes Rising Star

I can understand what you are saying but chew on this. Wouldn't you rather have Team Rocket back to early Kanto days where they weren't as silly as some parts of Sinnoh, per say, but they actually have a personality. There is no reason why they have to be so monochromatic. There is a middle between the "extremely silly and non-menacing team Rocket" and "serious robots who can't have a laugh Team Rocket".

Why not bring that middle, that balance, that equilibrium back to the show?

8. I dunno. I find them more menacing and threatening with their lack of a personality and just mission focused. I mean, I still found them silly in Kanto

9. starshapes

starshapes Rising Star

Team Rocket is not menacing. They have always been silly.

It's like making Paul the bubbly extrovert or Barry the calm quiet scholar. It doesn't make sense on any level. They could have been stolen rocks, data, or whatever else while staying in character.

10. Well...in Best Wishes they clearly aren't silly and it's working to make them seem more threatening

11. starshapes

starshapes Rising Star

You seem to be missing the point. Their personalities have been dramatically changed with little explanation.

12. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

There was a timeskip between DP191, when they were promoted, and BW001. I suppose you think they weren't trained for the mission at all?

13. It's Pokemon. I'll take what I can get. I get it was kind of bad writing that they suddenly changed, but it was a good move

14. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

In all fairness they have all reasons to act serious, if your own mind is willing to improvise a bit.

Since their promotion in DP191, they obviously realised Giovanni has taken notice of them for once, so wanting to do their best to please him they decided to act more serious instead of fooling around.

They realised that they must focus on their new goal in taking over Unova and any plot around that, Pikachu for them is a side job which means little to less of them now.

15. pokeninja123

pokeninja123 what?

i think that the funny team rocket will come back at the end of the black and white season

16. Yeul

Yeul Green Eyed Girl

Ever notice that they act funnier when they aren't on a mission? Between BW025 (when Giovanni's assistant laid them off for the time being) and BW041 (when they started their new mission of targeting Nimbasa's Subway) they were generally more relaxed and tended to provide a good bit of physical humour, although that didn't mean that their training didn't rub off on them as seen in the Roggenrola and Audino episodes.
    At the end of Best Wishes, I'd like to see the TRio keep their competence but not be as overtly serious as they are now. I'd like to see them strike a balance like what we got from the time they were travelling from Castelia to Nimbasa.

17. starshapes

starshapes Rising Star

Yeah I think balance is the key. There are times to be funny and there are times to be serious. I was watching the "movie time" episode today and meowth's reaction to the female zorua pretending to be a girl meowth was definitely funny.

18. Dancing Togekiss

Dancing Togekiss Well-Known Member

i like the way they are now but they could be a bit more funnier like before

19. Swagga09

Swagga09 Well-Known Member

I like them better as serious villains. a decade of them being idiots got boring and annoying

20. Nyter

Nyter Island Challenger

I would like them to succeed in something. Capturing some Pokemon would make them more badass. OH and I always had the idea that Team Rocket would be added a new nerdy junior member to be tutored by Jessie and James.

Oh and Where is Butch and Cassidy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.