• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BW Team Rocket Discussion

What should the Anime do with The Trio?

• Bring back the funny version and feature them often.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Keep the current serious version.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Write them out after the conclusion of Best Wishes.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Keep the funny version but feature them less often. (every third episode or less on average)

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
Ironic how we all wanted to make them cooler and now they are but we miss their goofyness......well we can't have our cake and eat it too

I loved the old Team Rocket; I never wanted them to change. They were why I fell in love with Pokemon and are now why I am falling out of the B&W anime. I love the boss fantasies, the jokes, the blast offs, the alliterations, the dub speech, Wobbuffet. But..this new Team Rocket, all serious and professional at the tip of a hat, just kills me on the inside. The writers just throw out previous characterization and just write what they please, the same thing they did to Paul in the Sinnoh League.

I never ordered this cake, and I spit in its general direction. I appoligize to those who like the new Team Rocket, but I don't; I just felt the need to lift a weight off my shoulders.

King World said:
I feel sorry for Jessie's Woobat...
Poor thing, unable to show off its personality and power because of what those so called writers did to JJ&M. It'll probably get as much characterization as Brock's Onix.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
Poor thing, unable to show off its personality and power because of what those so called writers did to JJ&M. It'll probably get as much characterization as Brock's Onix.

I'm sure things will get better when team plasma arrives.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I loved the old Team Rocket; I never wanted them to change. They were why I fell in love with Pokemon and are now why I am falling out of the B&W anime. I love the boss fantasies, the jokes, the blast offs, the alliterations, the dub speech, Wobbuffet. But..this new Team Rocket, all serious and professional at the tip of a hat, just kills me on the inside. The writers just throw out previous characterization and just write what they please, the same thing they did to Paul in the Sinnoh League.

I never ordered this cake, and I spit in its general direction. I appoligize to those who like the new Team Rocket, but I don't; I just felt the need to lift a weight off my shoulders.
Their personalities are the same. Maybe if you only watch the dub this is harder to notice but there have been times whenever the old Team Rocket got serious and this is exactly how they were. All that's changed is that they've got a promotion allowing them access to better equipment. They're still the same people they've always been but they're just been focused on their job.

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
i rekon it will slowly return

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Well we're one of the worst fandoms in Video games, next to the NIghts and Sonic the Hedgehog fandoms.

Nights actually has a fandom?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I don't want TR to go back to their lowly selves in previous arcs,yet at the same time I don't want them to be "OMG,THESE ARE PURE EVIL BAD***!"I want the show to balance their threatening and comedic states.So we still get to see them be funny somewhat,yet they still threaten the heroes with their schemes

I have a theory,or rather,TV Tropes has a theory on why their rank got boosted:they sucseeded off-screen.They stole Tobias' Darkrai and Latios under his nose,without the twerps noticing as they left at the time.And when Giovanni found this out,he first almost had a heart attack from the sheer shock,and then promoted them.It would have gone this way:

Team Rocket HQ
Meowth-Hey boss,guess what we got?
Giovanni-Don't tell me this is a simple Yanma or some other Pokemon I could just go out and catch myself
James-Oh no,its something special
Giovanni-(opens Pokeballs,revealing Darkrai and Latios)
Jessie-Like it?We stole it under that Tobias guy's nose
Giovanni-(clutching his heart,with a completley shocked face)Y-you s-stole a Dar-kiz-rai and Latios?!
Meowth-Boss,are you alright?
Giovanni-O-only my greatest agents ha-have ever managed to ste-eal a legedary,BUT YOU THREE STOLE TWO?!!
James-Does this mean we get a promotion?
Giovanni-I'll c-call the doctors,th-ten we'll-(collaspes)

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
To be honest, I like TR the way they are now, and don't want them to change back. Not unless this TR gets boring, which'll probably take a long time.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Now it's to the point where some episodes they don't even appear, i just want them to be evil, with some comedy and for the love of arceus, i want to see Jessie with her Koromori, or at least James with a Pokemon.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
The show is still funny without Team Rocket's comedy. It's just that the Pokemon seems to be the one focused on now.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Definitely. In D/P, every time I record an episode, whenever I see those three faces it irks me to the point where I fast forward them out of my sight and stop where the show gets to the God damned point of the episode.

I hoped on one of their blast offs that they'd fall into a meat grinder tbh. They were never funny to me.

Keep bein' evil plz, kthx.

Last edited:

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
Their personalities are the same. Maybe if you only watch the dub this is harder to notice but there have been times whenever the old Team Rocket got serious and this is exactly how they were. All that's changed is that they've got a promotion allowing them access to better equipment. They're still the same people they've always been but they're just been focused on their job.
Just because JJ&M were less goofy in the original doesn't mean that they were never goofy at all. They completely made a one-eighty in their demeanor: they use jet packs to jump out of a moving truck! I refuse to believe that a little focus and new stuff could bring about this big of a change on its own.

I don't want TR to go back to their lowly selves in previous arcs,yet at the same time I don't want them to be "OMG,THESE ARE PURE EVIL BAD***!"I want the show to balance their threatening and comedic states.So we still get to see them be funny somewhat,yet they still threaten the heroes with their schemes.
This! If this happened, I would be fine. I am a reasonable man and could have settled for a compromise like this. If the change between the past and present Rockets was gradual rather than abrupt, I might have responded better.

I have a theory,or rather,TV Tropes has a theory on why their rank got boosted:they sucseeded off-screen.They stole Tobias' Darkrai and Latios under his nose,without the twerps noticing as they left at the time.And when Giovanni found this out,he first almost had a heart attack from the sheer shock,and then promoted them.It would have gone this way:

Team Rocket HQ
Meowth-Hey boss,guess what we got?
Giovanni-Don't tell me this is a simple Yanma or some other Pokemon I could just go out and catch myself
James-Oh no,its something special
Giovanni-(opens Pokeballs,revealing Darkrai and Latios)
Jessie-Like it?We stole it under that Tobias guy's nose
Giovanni-(clutching his heart,with a completley shocked face)Y-you s-stole a Dar-kiz-rai and Latios?!
Meowth-Boss,are you alright?
Giovanni-O-only my greatest agents ha-have ever managed to ste-eal a legedary,BUT YOU THREE STOLE TWO?!!
James-Does this mean we get a promotion?
Giovanni-I'll c-call the doctors,th-ten we'll-(collaspes)
You deserve a reward for that! It was hillarious! You have just made my day!

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
I always wished Team Rocket would win (at least temporarily, as in for an episode) sometimes, or at least would demonstrate the intelligence they seemingly had when Ash and Co weren't around. At the same time, I never wanted them to turn into completely evil theft machines. From what I've heard from people who watch the undubbed show, they've pretty much lost their comedic aspect.

If this is true, I'd much rather a middle ground, such as some really good, well planned "jobs" that aren't as easy as Pikachu just electrucuting them to thwart. I'd still like the comedic aspect of their personalities maintained, as well as their "bad guys on the outside, good guys deep down" personalities, but it would be nice to see some more sophistication.

Some badass quotable moments would be awesome as well, such as the occasional ominous dialogue.

Perhaps, like the start of the series, the writers are just experimenting with some new ideas, and will maybe adjust their characters to be on a kind of middle ground; both comedic, but also slightly scary with some intelligence.

Last edited:

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Just because JJ&M were less goofy in the original doesn't mean that they were never goofy at all. They completely made a one-eighty in their demeanor: they use jet packs to jump out of a moving truck! I refuse to believe that a little focus and new stuff could bring about this big of a change on its own.
Way to not read what I said at all. Nothing about my post said that the first series Team Rocket "were never goofy at all", what I said was that there were times (in different arcs, not just the first series) where they got serious. What I meant by that is while they were always goofy they did have moments where they were serious and they acted just the same as they are now.

Your example of a big change is actually a good example of my point. They have these jetpacks and other methods of escape because they've been provided for them. Before they've had to buy or build their own equipment.

Cotaman

Frontier Brain
Team Rocket is dead for me... I hope that when they finish whatever they are doing they finally go home, seriously BW has a great potential, the show obviously doesn't need them anymore, not even for the generic comedy parts, seriously after 600 episodes od WOBBAFFEEET, TEAM ROCKET BLAST OFF AGAIN, MEOWTH THATS RIGHT...it was a great time for a change, but after seeing how the show can do well on its own, I hope I never see them again.

Trainer White

TR will never! revert back and think after there done with this region they will be off the show for good.

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
Way to not read what I said at all. Nothing about my post said that the first series Team Rocket "were never goofy at all", what I said was that there were times (in different arcs, not just the first series) where they got serious. What I meant by that is while they were always goofy they did have moments where they were serious and they acted just the same as they are now.

Okay my fellow forum friend, I'm sorry that I misread your post angered you enough to use bold font. Let me try to rephrase my point; As you know, Team Rocket has been consistantly serious and humorless in the Unova region. While they have had bouts of seriousness in the past, it was never to this degree and they still kept their goofy attitude. I beleive that a promotion and some randomly appearing new equipment should effect TR's demenors to such a degree so quickly. If they made the change gradual, I might have accepted it. But there is no time for chacaterization when there are videogames to sell.

But to be on topic, yes I do beleive that JJ&M's comedic side is dead. The only way to fix this is have the Boss demote them and stop using them on important missions.

BlueVapor

The old Team Rocket's comedy was at the point where it forced me to fast forward past any scenes involving them.

Now, the writers seem to actually be building a plot involving them. People should be thankful that something of interest is actually going to be happening to them.

And the reason why they're not doing much now, is just that, the writers are building something big up for TR.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
The old Team Rocket's comedy was at the point where it forced me to fast forward past any scenes involving them.

Now, the writers seem to actually be building a plot involving them. People should be thankful that something of interest is actually going to be happening to them.

And the reason why they're not doing much now, is just that, the writers are building something big up for TR.

Agreed.

Not sure what show everyone else was watching, but dub or not, Team Rocket's "humor" was absolutely cringeworthy.

At least now they serve an actual purpose rather than blast off bait.

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
Agreed.

Not sure what show everyone else was watching, but dub or not, Team Rocket's "humor" was absolutely cringeworthy.

At least now they serve an actual purpose rather than blast off bait.
To each his own, I suppose. What some people consider "cringeworthy", others consider funny. Or at least narm charm. I quite enjoyed their alliterations and rhymes.

Status
Not open for further replies.