• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BW2 Team 0/1

Xadhoom

Xerbian Mutant
If I can win duels with a modernized version of Yami Yugi's Deck, I can definitely make a competitive version of Red's team.

Pikachu @Zap Plate
Quirky, Static
Dunno about the exact values, but most of it's EVAs are placed in speed.
-Charge Beam
-Discharge
-Charm
-Light Screen

Odd moveset, I know, but it helps Pikachu actually take a hit.

Venusaur @Big Root
Bold, Overgrow
Again, not sure, but mostly placed in SP.ATK/DEF.
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Leech Seed
-Frenzy Plant

I know Frenzy Plant is situational, but it is also just that; situational; In some situations, the extra damage inflicted can really come in handy, and if used while Overgrow is active, it doesn't matter what I use.

Charizard @Life Orb
Relaxed, Blaze
-Sunny Day
-Flamethrower
-Solarbeam
-Blast Burn

If it's alright, I'll like to keep the ultimate moves if possible. The rest of the moveset and the items, is subject to change.

Blastoise @Leftovers
Relaxed, Torrent
-Scald
-Toxic
-Dragon Tail
-Hydro Cannon

Yeah, this is by far the worst moveset of the bunch.

Snorlax @Leftovers
Hardy, Thick Fat
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Rest

Lapras @Shell Bell
Docile, Water Absorb
-Body Slam
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

I know it's far from good enough for competitive play, but it's mainly used in-game stuff, like the Battle Subway and World Tournament.

Well, whattaya think?

Sorry if anything looks weird, I haven't posted RMT threads before.

Bonus points if you get what 0/1 refers to.

KillerDraco

Well... I'll be up front; if you're going to do the Battle Subway and PWT, the Pokemon you use have to be held to a slightly higher standard than the rest of the in-game battles. The Pokemon they use in the Subway/PWT are EV trained, and I believe they do have decent natures there as well. Generally speaking you want to consider the Subway and PWT as semi-competitive; the AI may be dumb (especially with its reluctance to switch), but their Pokemon aren't the same cannon fodder that you see for the rest of the in-game stuff.

Aaaaaaanyway. Onto the team! Suggested changes will be in bold.

Pikachu @Light Ball
Timid, Static
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Signal Beam
-Magnet Rise

The Light Ball is the only reason to ever use Pikachu; even Red uses it. Pikachu is just way too weak without it, although getting one can be a little annoying. Unless it's in a double battle, Thunderbolt is generally superior to Discharge for more power. Grass Knot will let you hit the Ground types who otherwise wall you. Signal Beam hits grass types, and although it's not that great in and of itself, Pikachu doesn't have many options for attacks, its movepool sucks. Magnet Rise may seem unusual, but given the AI likely won't give you a chance to use set up moves or substitute (since they rarely set up or switch), it can allow you to catch slow ground types off guard, as the AI is terribly predictable with its Earthquakes.

You may be noticing I dropped pretty much all of the original moves, but it's mostly because of how Pikachu plays. Pikachu wants to hit hard and fast, since it cannot take a hit, period (most Subway/PWT standards can 1HKO it if it doesn't do so first), so trying to set up with Charge Beam, Charm, or Light Screen is generally a bad idea. Pikachu makes things like Azelf and Infernape seem like tanks; its defenses are downright horrid. Gotta go for Offense on this little rodent, or else he'll be dead weight in no time.

Venusaur @Big Root/Focus Sash
Modest, Overgrow
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Leech Seed/Growth
-Frenzy Plant/Sleep Powder

I know you say you want Frenzy Plant, but I really have to advise against the Elemental Hyper Beams if you're intending to do the Subway/PWT. You'll deal the same damage with Giga Drain across two turns, but without turning your self into dead weight (since the option to switch after KO'ing doesn't apply to Subway/PWT). Unless you're using it as the final attack to end the match, or if you'll be KO'ed that same turn regardless, it's almost never worth it, and is too unreliable. But, I kept it as a potential option rather than replacing it since you seem intent on it.

Sleep Powder can allow you to incapacitate a Pokemon completely, meaning it's a fantastic move to use if something that resists both of Venusaur's STABs shows up (Aka, steel types). Growth can be an option if you intend to use Sunny Day on Charizard, as Growth's effect is doubled in the sun.

As for Focus Sash... Big Root is kind of a waste for just Giga Drain. Never been too fond of it. Even though Venusaur does have a bit of bulk (making the Sash seem a little silly), Focus Sash guarantees that you will survive at least one attack, which, when combined with Sleep Powder, can guarantee you incapacitate your foe.

Charizard @Life Orb
Timid, Blaze
-Sunny Day/Focus Blast
-Flamethrower
-Solarbeam/Air Slash
-Blast Burn/Roost

While Sunny Day/Solarbeam on Charizard can be viable, I don't see it having much synergy with the rest of your team, as both Lapras and Blastoise hate it, and it can situationally screw up Venusaur. I listed both as viable options though, but if you do decide to go for Sunny Day, I'd put Growth on Venusaur, since Growth has its effect doubled under Sunlight.

Anyway... For the non-Sunny Day set, Air Slash is a solid STAB that works great on things that resist fire (Dragons, other Fire Types, Water types), and shreds fighting types. Focus Blast lets you nail the Rock Types that otherwise wall you. The shaky accuracy may be a deterrent, and the lack of Solar Beam makes water types more of a threat, but no setup is involved this way. And again, I have to recommend against Elemental Hyper Beams, as their cons outweigh their pros. Roost instead can allow you to shrug off Life Orb damage.

Blastoise @Leftovers
Bold, Torrent
-Scald
-Toxic
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Cannon/Protect

Dragon Tail doesn't do much for you, as the AI doesn't set up that often, nor are you using entry hazards, which are the factors that make Dragon Tail worthwhile. Switch it with Ice Beam to allow you to hit things that otherwise resist your STAB (Dragons and Grass types, notably). Same deal as before with the Elemental Hyper Beam, you know what I'm thinking by now. Protect, instead, can allow you to rack up Toxic Damage while giving yourself an extra turn to recover HP with leftovers.

Snorlax @Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Adamant, Thick Fat
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Sleep Talk/Crunch
-Rest/Fire Punch

Rest isn't really worth using unless you're planning on using Sleep Talk with it; otherwise, you're just going to get KO'ed while you sleep. I replaced it with Fire Punch, as it gives you a bit more coverage, letting you nail the steel types who're neutral/immune to Earthquake for more damage, as well as screwing over Ice Types and Bug types. Admittedly, it's also possible to replace Earthquake with Fire Punch, depending on your preferences. If you want to keep Rest though, replace Crunch with Sleep Talk. You may have a problem with Ghosts that way, but you'll have a problem with Steel types without Earthquake, so it's a matter of preference. Keeping Fire Punch is also an option for Rest Talk. Also, PWT and Battle Subway have the "Same item" clause, so if you're going to use Leftovers on Blastoise, you can't use them for Snorlax too. Alternatively, you can use a Chesto Berry, and keep Rest without Sleep Talk.

Lapras @Sitrus Berry
Modest, Water Absorb
-Psychic/Perish Song
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

Throwing Psychic on Lapras turns it into a pseudo-Starmie, but with STAB on ice and not Psychic (in addition to obvious stat differences). It rounds off the coverage by letting you hit Poison and Fighting types just a little bit harder. With its high HP, Lapras can sometimes survive a hit from a fighting type and bite back despite the weakness. Perish Song can take advantage of the fact that the AI doesn't really switch. Synergizes well with Blastoise's Protect to stall. It's sort of a last resort, though, on things you might have trouble with otherwise.

Shell Bell is rather... bad. You need to be doing A LOT of damage to make it even remotely worthwhile, and Lapras's offensive stats aren't enough to do that kind of damage. Sitrus Berry tends to be the better option, as Lapras's HP usually allows it to get into 50% range without being KO'd, and gives it a more reliable HP Boost than Shell Bell. It's not a perfect item for Lapras, but I'm avoiding Choice items since it's in game, and following item clause for the Subway/PWT.

No bonus points for me :/

So yeah, that's my recommendations. And yes, it's blatantly obvious that I don't like Hyper Beam-like moves. Oh well...

Last edited:

Xadhoom

Xerbian Mutant
Well... I'll be up front; if you're going to do the Battle Subway and PWT, the Pokemon you use have to be held to a slightly higher standard than the rest of the in-game battles. The Pokemon they use in the Subway/PWT are EV trained, and I believe they do have decent natures there as well. Generally speaking you want to consider the Subway and PWT as semi-competitive; the AI may be dumb (especially with its reluctance to switch), but their Pokemon aren't the same cannon fodder that you see for the rest of the in-game stuff.

Aaaaaaanyway. Onto the team! Suggested changes will be in bold.

Pikachu @Light Ball
Timid, Static
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Signal Beam
-Magnet Rise

The Light Ball is the only reason to ever use Pikachu; even Red uses it. Pikachu is just way too weak without it, although getting one can be a little annoying. Unless it's in a double battle, Thunderbolt is generally superior to Discharge for more power. Grass Knot will let you hit the Ground types who otherwise wall you. Signal Beam hits grass types, and although it's not that great in and of itself, Pikachu doesn't have many options for attacks, its movepool sucks. Magnet Rise may seem unusual, but given the AI likely won't give you a chance to use set up moves or substitute (since they rarely set up or switch), it can allow you to catch slow ground types off guard, as the AI is terribly predictable with its Earthquakes.

You may be noticing I dropped pretty much all of the original moves, but it's mostly because of how Pikachu plays. Pikachu wants to hit hard and fast, since it cannot take a hit, period (most Subway/PWT standards can 1HKO it if it doesn't do so first), so trying to set up with Charge Beam, Charm, or Light Screen is generally a bad idea. Pikachu makes things like Azelf and Infernape seem like tanks; its defenses are downright horrid. Gotta go for Offense on this little rodent, or else he'll be dead weight in no time.
I have no way to get a Light Ball, so I'll have to be unconventional with it, and stick with this moveset. Stupid Gen4-Gen5 transfer thing not letting me keep my items...

Venusaur @Big Root/Focus Sash
Modest, Overgrow
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Leech Seed/Growth
-Frenzy Plant/Sleep Powder

I know you say you want Frenzy Plant, but I really have to advise against the Elemental Hyper Beams if you're intending to do the Subway/PWT. You'll deal the same damage with Giga Drain across two turns, but without turning your self into dead weight (since the option to switch after KO'ing doesn't apply to Subway/PWT). Unless you're using it as the final attack to end the match, or if you'll be KO'ed that same turn regardless, it's almost never worth it, and is too unreliable. But, I kept it as a potential option rather than replacing it since you seem intent on it.

Sleep Powder can allow you to incapacitate a Pokemon completely, meaning it's a fantastic move to use if something that resists both of Venusaur's STABs shows up (Aka, steel types). Growth can be an option if you intend to use Sunny Day on Charizard, as Growth's effect is doubled in the sun.
Think, Dammit. There's gotta be some solution to this, some way to use Frenzy Plant as a viable part of the moveset. I refuse to believe it's impossible. I can do anything; why should this be an exception?
As for Focus Sash... Big Root is kind of a waste for just Giga Drain. Never been too fond of it. Even though Venusaur does have a bit of bulk (making the Sash seem a little silly), Focus Sash guarantees that you will survive at least one attack, which, when combined with Sleep Powder, can guarantee you incapacitate your foe.
Big Root works with Leech Seed too.

Charizard @Life Orb
Timid, Blaze
-Sunny Day/Focus Blast
-Flamethrower
-Solarbeam/Air Slash
-Blast Burn/Roost

While Sunny Day/Solarbeam on Charizard can be viable, I don't see it having much synergy with the rest of your team, as both Lapras and Blastoise hate it, and it can situationally screw up Venusaur. I listed both as viable options though, but if you do decide to go for Sunny Day, I'd put Growth on Venusaur, since Growth has its effect doubled under Sunlight.

Anyway... For the non-Sunny Day set, Air Slash is a solid STAB that works great on things that resist fire (Dragons, other Fire Types, Water types), and shreds fighting types. Focus Blast lets you nail the Rock Types that otherwise wall you. The shaky accuracy may be a deterrent, and the lack of Solar Beam makes water types more of a threat, but no setup is involved this way. And again, I have to recommend against Elemental Hyper Beams, as their cons outweigh their pros. Roost instead can allow you to shrug off Life Orb damage.
This is unlikely to have been intentional, but using a turn on Roost, would render Charizard a sitting duck, as much as Blast Burn would, and letting the Life Orb whittle him down, would activate Blaze, making the timing to use Blast Burn perfect. Other than that, very good suggestions.

Blastoise @Leftovers
Bold, Torrent
-Scald
-Toxic
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Cannon/Protect

Dragon Tail doesn't do much for you, as the AI doesn't set up that often, nor are you using entry hazards, which are the factors that make Dragon Tail worthwhile. Switch it with Ice Beam to allow you to hit things that otherwise resist your STAB (Dragons and Grass types, notably). Same deal as before with the Elemental Hyper Beam, you know what I'm thinking by now. Protect, instead, can allow you to rack up Toxic Damage while giving yourself an extra turn to recover HP with leftovers.
I'm gonna go with Scald over Toxic; 2 types have immunity to the latter, and 0 to the former. Plus, the burn can help against the increasing number of Physical heavy-hitters.

Snorlax @Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Adamant, Thick Fat
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Sleep Talk/Crunch
-Rest/Fire Punch

Rest isn't really worth using unless you're planning on using Sleep Talk with it; otherwise, you're just going to get KO'ed while you sleep. I replaced it with Fire Punch, as it gives you a bit more coverage, letting you nail the steel types who're neutral/immune to Earthquake for more damage, as well as screwing over Ice Types and Bug types. Admittedly, it's also possible to replace Earthquake with Fire Punch, depending on your preferences. If you want to keep Rest though, replace Crunch with Sleep Talk. You may have a problem with Ghosts that way, but you'll have a problem with Steel types without Earthquake, so it's a matter of preference. Keeping Fire Punch is also an option for Rest Talk. Also, PWT and Battle Subway have the "Same item" clause, so if you're going to use Leftovers on Blastoise, you can't use them for Snorlax too. Alternatively, you can use a Chesto Berry, and keep Rest without Sleep Talk.
Perhaps a Lum Berry, instead of a Chesto?

Lapras @Sitrus Berry
Modest, Water Absorb
-Psychic/Perish Song
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

Throwing Psychic on Lapras turns it into a pseudo-Starmie, but with STAB on ice and not Psychic (in addition to obvious stat differences). It rounds off the coverage by letting you hit Poison and Fighting types just a little bit harder. With its high HP, Lapras can sometimes survive a hit from a fighting type and bite back despite the weakness. Perish Song can take advantage of the fact that the AI doesn't really switch. Synergizes well with Blastoise's Protect to stall. It's sort of a last resort, though, on things you might have trouble with otherwise.

Shell Bell is rather... bad. You need to be doing A LOT of damage to make it even remotely worthwhile, and Lapras's offensive stats aren't enough to do that kind of damage. Sitrus Berry tends to be the better option, as Lapras's HP usually allows it to get into 50% range without being KO'd, and gives it a more reliable HP Boost than Shell Bell. It's not a perfect item for Lapras, but I'm avoiding Choice items since it's in game, and following item clause for the Subway/PWT.
Actually, the LV25 tournament doesn't have the item clause; you can use a team of Leftovers there.

No bonus points for me :/

I didn't expect that, actually. It's a reference to the 90's Disney comic, PaperiniK New Adventures, which is pretty much the closest thing to a disney version of PokeSpe.

So yeah, that's my recommendations. And yes, it's blatantly obvious that I don't like Hyper Beam-like moves. Oh well...
I noticed.

Aurath8

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Naive
200 Spa / 252 Spd / 56 Atk
-Thunderbolt
-Brick Break
-Grass Knot / Signal Beam
-Hidden Power [Ice]

35 / 30 / 40. That's Pikachu's defensive base stats. Pikachu will survive an attack when Grumpigs fly. Even Nasty Plot is a big risk to take with such horrid defences. Anyway, I've gone for a mixed set here as Pikachu has no special fighting moves and Brick break really helps against Rock and Steel types who are either paired with Ground or bulky enough to take a T-bolt.
HP [Ice] for boltbeam yay. Grass Knot and Signal Beam is a question as to whether you hate Ground/Rock types or Grass types more.

Sleep powder over Leech Seed on Venusaur. Because Sleep is an awesome status. Earthquake over Frenzy Plant as well because I also think the 'ultimate' moves are the spawn of the devil(alongside Poison Jab). They are some of the most noncompetitive moves in the game. The only niche i have ever found for Hyper Beam variants is on Porygon-Z. With 2 Nasty Plots, Life Orb, Adaptability, Modest nature and Hyper Beam it can KO Blissey in one hit. It's an achievement few special attackers ever reach and is really the only viable use for them.

I'm against Sunny Day as you have 2 water types and a Grass type who don't really appreciate the sunlight, and without Solar Power (and Chlorophyll for Venusaur) even Charizard isn't maximizing his potential. I'd go with Xahdoom's set of Focus Miss | Flamethrower | Air Slash | Roost while holding a Life Orb, if only because I think 3 attacks + recovery is hamazing in terms of sheer versatility.

Curse > Rest. I speak from experience when I say that a single Curse is enough to make Snorlax into a staggeringly good mixed tank. Provided you avoid status and can get off a second Curse, you will be invincible to all but critical hit Close Combats.