• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BW34: Rival Battle! Banipucchi, Dokkora participate in battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I really don't know what to make of Trip. He feels like he's just becoming a Mary Sue just for the hell of it.

Unlike Gary and Paul, there's no justification for his strength. Ash and Gary were on equal ground as they were both rookies (Gary just happened to be slightly more talented at the start), and Paul was also on Ash's level and had a different training method.

Trip is just Trip. No backstory, he's a beginner, seriously...what the hell?

thunderblade12

Agreed. They need to give him a backstory and say that Lance, or Cynthia, or Alder is a family member of his or something and he was trained from childhood to be the best.

Or maybe he could have went to a private pokemon school and this could end up being a story of performance vs paper-pencil intellect.

He seriously needs a backstory to justify his power though.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
So the kid can't be smart? Shigeru was a begining trainer just like Shooti, whats up with that? I don't see any diference, the kid probably learned how to fight before starting his journey.

We will know about the backstory later if he is just a smart kid that knows how to battle, I am fine with that, I find no problem with that.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Well this is going to be his 4th episodes. Seems the writers are just saying he's strong because he has a variety of pokemon.

All he had going for him was that camera quirk from his first appearance.

thunderblade12

So the kid can't be smart? Shigeru was a begining trainer just like Shooti, whats up with that? I don't see any diference, the kid probably learned how to fight before starting his journey.

We will know about the backstory later if he is just a smart kid that knows how to battle, I am fine with that, I find no problem with that.

He must be some sort of prodigy then. In real world sports it'd be the equivalent of a member of middle school basketball team raping a member of the NBA.

And it can't be compared to Gary, because when Ash battled him they were at the same level. Ash didn't have 4 regions of experience on Gary.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I'm guessing that he'll have some sort of back-story explained eventually.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus

There's being naturally good, and then there's being almost unjustifiably strong. I'm naturally adept at Rugby- fast and strong, but I got into it later in life than all of my teammates and as such they're all better than me because their experience has let them hone their talent. Same sort of situation here.
Not to mention that in addition to his experience, Ash has been acknowledged as a naturally good trainer by god knows how many characters. It just seems forced with Trip.

Well this is going to be his 4th episodes. Seems the writers are just saying he's strong because he has a variety of pokemon.

What happened to that quirk anyway?

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan

He has been shown to be smart at fighting, not an elitist like Shinji, or a overevolver like Shigeru, he is diferent from both of them.

Shinji was the first great rival we got in the series, it will always be hard to compare him to anyone, you guys do it constantly you aren't proving anything with that, he is not and won't be Shinji its a diferent character, wait for the plot to evolve, I won't like it either if they don't show anything from his past, even though it's not neessary if he just explains why he is so good, like I said if he tells Satoshi that he trained on pokemon battling before starting his journey I'm fine with that, I would actually like a rival that is basicly a genius and the hero ends up beating him, yes it's cliche but all the rivals on pokemon including Shinji were full of cliches during their region.

Like I said Shinji might never be toped but that will not mean the new character is ****.

Street he was still taking pics on his other apperences like in Hyun city, it's just his hobby and eventually they will touch on that.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Like I said Shinji might never be toped but that will not mean the new character is ****.
100% agree but it doesn't mean we can't critique Trip's characterisation and development on the show :p

Street he was still taking pics on his other apperences like in Hyun city, it's just his hobby and eventually they will touch on that.

Ah, see I actually missed that ep and haven't caught up and watched it yet.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't see why they have to, "top" Paul, just give us an interesting character.

Barry was loved as a character even though he was never really that good a battler. Or look at Bianca now, she's well liked despite not being a real threat as a rival.

Graham Aker

Don't you guys see. There always just HAS to be a one-sided rivalry. It somehow makes the story more "interesting". Even if it's been done with Gary, Drew, Paul, Zoey, and now Shooti. It's forbidden for the main character to be on the same level as their main rival losing to them 50 million times, until finally beating them in the big tournament. It's been rehashed ad nauseum., and the writers are too lazy to use their creative juices to have a the main character and rival go back and forth.

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Exactly Cyber, I'm not seeing that but you guys are basicly doing that by trying to compare him to Shinji in every way possible, to me right now he is interesting and like I said I too will be annoyed if they don't expand on his character a little more, with his frequent appearences I think that will be sorted out.

Graham no that's bad writing, always making Satoshi overcome the odds against the rival is dumb, he doesn't have to get his butt wooped and entire region for the rivalry to be interesting, I don't care about the other possibilities though since I know they probably won't go that way with the main rival, ever, that's why Im fine with Shinji, Shigeru and now Shooti rivalries.

Last edited:

thunderblade12

Right now I'm more interested in Bianca and a possible appearence of Cheren than Trip TBH...

It would have been cool to see Ash with a recurring rival who was far older and more mature than himself. The female protagonist from BW and Cheren look like they could pass for Brock/Harrison's age.

Graham Aker

Graham no that's bad writing, always making Satoshi overcome the odds against the rival is dumb, he doesn't have to get his butt wooped and entire region for the rivalry to be interesting, I don't care about the other possibilities though since I know they probably won't go that way with the main rival, ever, that's why Im fine with Shinji, Shigeru and now Shooti rivalries.

I know it's bad writing. I was being sarcastic. The one-sided main rivalries are really getting old.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Right now I'm more interested in Bianca and a possible appearence of Cheren than Trip TBH...

It would have been cool to see Ash with a recurring rival who was far older and more mature than himself. The female protagonist from BW and Cheren look like they could pass for Brock/Harrison's age.

Well they are 14 ingame isn't Takeshi the same age? I am interested in seeing Cheren also because I love his ingame persona I just think that at this point they might not use him, I do hope they do.

Graham I'm not used to your posting so I didn't detect it :D sorry mate.

Edit: oh you edited it now, I would have gotten if I had read the edited version haha.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
When I saw the words "Rival Battle" I got excited for Bianca again. Then I remembered Trip still exist... I just hope Trip gets some background on why he's so powerful. He must really train like every second of every hour. I don't hate him but he makes all the Mary Sue trainers up until now look downright legit and this is the most forced rivalry I have ever seen in Pokemon.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
He doesn't act like Kohei at all, go play the game Cyber Xd.

Belle and Jun acted like that in the game.

Personality-wise no but Cheren does across as a know-it-all and Conway is based on the supernerd trainer class.

Teshub

Banned
I find Conway more interesting than Cheren. If Cheren shows up it would just be a novelty, because he's not that entertaining to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.