• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BWS2DA!E8 - Ash & Butterfree! Until the Day We Meet Again!! [FIRST POST 06/01]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Encyclopika

The Queen
Listen, everyone. I know many of you are upset about the coming episode, as am I. However, calling the writers trolls, or anything like that, isn't any way to be talking on this board, since it's still considered bashing. Your feelings are justified, but if anyone after my post bashes the writers or any other characters or members, they will be getting infractions. You can voice your distaste with maturity and calmness.

This goes the other way around for those supporting the writer's decision and mocking those that were fooled. Rubbing salt in someone else's wounds is childish and will not be tolerated.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
If you see Charmed's posts, you'll notice that she has been skeptical from the beginning, and didn't hype up things like rest others did.

Exactly. I was cautious from the beginning for a variety of reasons that I've mentioned before. I never bought the hype - which contrary to popular belief - wasn't created by the episode promoters. They never said Ash's Butterfree was returning, so they can't really be blamed here. And like someone else said, episode titles are often misleading, so the title should have never been taken seriously either imo. But this episode isn't all bad. I'm looking forward to the Caterpie because it's cute and quirky and if Team Rocket is here, they'll be interesting to watch. I think part of watching this anime is that you have to make compromises because more often than not, things won't happen the way you wanted them to.

Haunter ゴースト

I'm sorry but the people trying to justify the writers are talking out of where the sun doesn't shine.

A poster showing Ash and a Pokemon of a species he used to own, with them both looking emotional, no less, was always going to make fans think Ash's Butterfree was returning. Then when the scuzzbag writers release a title like 'Ash & Butterfree! Until the Day We Meet Again!', about a Pokemon Ash hasn't seen for ages, what on earth else were we supposed to think!? Are people seriously suggesting that the natural assumption would be that he would train a random caterpie and evolve it twice to Butterfree in a single episode!?

HAHA.

You can't be serious. This is your own fault for getting your hopes up from signs that didn't indicate much at all. Just because Ash was with a Pokemon he once owned doesn't mean it's automatically his.

Everything else you say in this paragraph is ignored when you realise that the summary to episode (released a long while ago) mentioned that the whole point of this episode is that Ash recalls his old Butterfree essentially having a fangasm and wants to help this new Caterpie evolve.

The whole point was that scenario. The case of this episode isn't that Ash suddenly sees a Caterpie and helps it. The case is that he suddenly sees a bunch of Butterfree migrating, recalls his own Butterfree and wants to help this new Caterpie evolve.

This is entirely your own fault for hyping yourself up despite everything indicating otherwise:

-No hype was made for the episode, if Ash's Butterfree was returning it would have happened.

-The poster showed Ash and a Butterfree, it didn't have the ribbon on it which was a first sign it may not be Ash's.

-The summary showed no indication of Ash's Butterfree returning other than that he recalls having it and wants to help the new one, as explained above.

-The previews only showed flashbacks, which were to be expected. The rest of the episode revealing Ash helping the new Caterpie and saying goodbye to it at the end. No sign of Ash's Butterfree as expected.

The irony of Ash seemingly being incapable of evolving his own Pokemon has already been raised.

This has been happening all the time, more often in Best Wishes. Don't act like this is the first time.

These writers are trolls. This is an undeniable fact. Time and time again in this series they have made atrocious decisions. To intentionally trick fans into believing that a much loved older Pokemon, one that hasn't been seen for over 10 years, is returning is thoroughly disgraceful.

When?

Ash has only released Pidgeot, Butterfree and Lapras.

Lapras made a return, Butterfree has been given flashbacks with this episode being a glorification for it, Pidgeot i could partially agree because of the Movie 10 teaser, but that's it.

Hardly time and time again. You're just whining like everybody else who made a big deal out of things with no evidence.

Even if no information about the episode had been released before the episode preview, therefore the build-up amongst fans had not happened, why would the writers dedicate an episode to Ash wasting his time on training a random wild Pokemon (when he neglects most of his own) when it would be just as easy, far more popular and make much more sense to bring back his own Pokemon of the same species for an episode!? What the hell are the writers playing at?

I can partially agree to this, since it is a wild thought, but as i've already explained, the whole point of this episode is to glorify Ash's Butterfree hence the fangasm he has.

The newer audience doesn't have to jump too much into the episode to understand what's going on opposed to his Butterfree returning.

On top of this I presume the writers felt Charizard and Mewtwo was enough throwbacks however nice it would have been for Butterfree to return.

I truly don't understand why some users on here take such pleasure at mocking fans that wanted Ash's Butterfree return.

We're not mocking the fact you wanted it to return, we're mocking how butthurt you've all become because you got your hopes up over indications that were never indications in the first place.

The first image of Ash and Butterfree was the only time where it was a high possibility Butterfree would return. As soon as we saw the summaries, images and previews it became very clear the Ash's Butterfree returning was unlikely.

Is it because they hate the original series? Is it because they dislike older fans? Perhaps its just simply because they are unpleasant and enjoy mocking others when they have their hopes for the series dashed, yet again.

None of the above.

The 'truth tea' is this: the writers who haven't bothered evolving or developing any of Ash's Pokemon for many, many episodes (at the very least for the duration of DA) would rather devote an episode to a COTD Pokemon that will never be seen again than to any one of Ash's Pokemon, be they on the present team or amongst the Oaked or released Pokemon. They would also rather evolve said COTD twice in one episode than evolve any of Ash's, or indeed the main cast's captures in dozens of episodes.

This is definitely something that is happening here, but it's been going on for years. It's nothing new and I dare say the people over-reacting now are new fans to the show. Since most of the people watching full time realize this is the case and have learned to let it slide.

Yet there are people defending the writers and trying to make out the unreasonable ones are the fans that want to see an old face!!

Neither are unreasonable.

The writers made an episode glorifying Ash's Butterfree. A certain amount of fans, desperate to see Butterfree return mis-read everything because they were blinded by a species of Pokemon being associated with Ash as his own.

Please, someone remind me what I ever saw in the series!?

If you're a new fan nevermind, but if not you likely grew up with the show and struggled to depart from it because of how much the series holds for you growing up like most of us here.

It's a fun kids show, that has never dwelved too much into plot which is a shame, regardless it isn't here to please every single fan out their, but more so the current kid audience of it's centuary.

If the writers aren't either made to buck up or buck off for the next series, I will not waste any more time following this series, one I have followed for 14/15 years. If I wanted to watch level 5 starters faffing around, I'd watch an inept 4 year old play on my DS. When more time is devoted to a dragon that is practically still in nappies getting lost and chasing balloons than developing the main character's team, we know something is wrong.

Was nice knowing you kid.

Sounds like your gonna stop watching. As much as you hate it, I hate it, we all hate the show being too dumbed down and un-plot heavy, the show isn't going to change. It's purpose is for the newest generation kids and that is that.

Don't get you're hopes up for a legit epic Pokemon anime until they make another version anime for an older audience.

(Saying all of this, the Anime does have it's good moments).

Try not to get you're hopes up next time you see Ash standing with a Raichu/Gabite/Floatzel/Pidgeot/Primeape etc.

naughtynun

Listen, everyone. I know many of you are upset about the coming episode, as am I. However, calling the writers trolls, or anything like that, isn't any way to be talking on this board, since it's still considered bashing. Your feelings are justified, but if anyone after my post bashes the writers or any other characters or members, they will be getting infractions. You can voice your distaste with maturity and calmness.

This goes the other way around for those supporting the writer's decision and mocking those that were fooled. Rubbing salt in someone else's wounds is childish and will not be tolerated.

Fair enough, and thanks.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
HAHA.

You can't be serious. This is your own fault for getting your hopes up from signs that didn't indicate much at all. Just because Ash was with a Pokemon he once owned doesn't mean it's automatically his.

Everything else you say in this paragraph is ignored when you realise that the summary to episode (released a long while ago) mentioned that the whole point of this episode is that Ash recalls his old Butterfree essentially having a fangasm and wants to help this new Caterpie evolve.

The whole point was that scenario. The case of this episode isn't that Ash suddenly sees a Caterpie and helps it. The case is that he suddenly sees a bunch of Butterfree migrating, recalls his own Butterfree and wants to help this new Caterpie evolve.

This is entirely your own fault for hyping yourself up despite everything indicating otherwise:

-No hype was made for the episode, if Ash's Butterfree was returning it would have happened.

-The poster showed Ash and a Butterfree, it didn't have the ribbon on it which was a first sign it may not be Ash's.

-The summary showed no indication of Ash's Butterfree returning other than that he recalls having it and wants to help the new one, as explained above.

-The previews only showed flashbacks, which were to be expected. The rest of the episode revealing Ash helping the new Caterpie and saying goodbye to it at the end. No sign of Ash's Butterfree as expected.

This has been happening all the time, more often in Best Wishes. Don't act like this is the first time.

When?

Ash has only released Pidgeot, Butterfree and Lapras.

Lapras made a return, Butterfree has been given flashbacks with this episode being a glorification for it, Pidgeot i could partially agree because of the Movie 10 teaser, but that's it.

Hardly time and time again. You're just whining like everybody else who made a big deal out of things with no evidence.

I can partially agree to this, since it is a wild thought, but as i've already explained, the whole point of this episode is to glorify Ash's Butterfree hence the fangasm he has.

The newer audience doesn't have to jump too much into the episode to understand what's going on opposed to his Butterfree returning.

On top of this I presume the writers felt Charizard and Mewtwo was enough throwbacks however nice it would have been for Butterfree to return.

We're not mocking the fact you wanted it to return, we're mocking how butthurt you've all become because you got your hopes up over indications that were never indications in the first place.

The first image of Ash and Butterfree was the only time where it was a high possibility Butterfree would return. As soon as we saw the summaries, images and previews it became very clear the Ash's Butterfree returning was unlikely.

None of the above.

This is definitely something that is happening here, but it's been going on for years. It's nothing new and I dare say the people over-reacting now are new fans to the show. Since most of the people watching full time realize this is the case and have learned to let it slide.

Neither are unreasonable.

The writers made an episode glorifying Ash's Butterfree. A certain amount of fans, desperate to see Butterfree return mis-read everything because they were blinded by a species of Pokemon being associated with Ash as his own.

If you're a new fan nevermind, but if not you likely grew up with the show and struggled to depart from it because of how much the series holds for you growing up like most of us here.

It's a fun kids show, that has never dwelved too much into plot which is a shame, regardless it isn't here to please every single fan out their, but more so the current kid audience of it's centuary.

Was nice knowing you kid.

Sounds like your gonna stop watching. As much as you hate it, I hate it, we all hate the show being too dumbed down and un-plot heavy, the show isn't going to change. It's purpose is for the newest generation kids and that is that.

Don't get you're hopes up for a legit epic Pokemon anime until they make another version anime for an older audience.

(Saying all of this, the Anime does have it's good moments).

Try not to get you're hopes up next time you see Ash standing with a Raichu/Gabite/Floatzel/Pidgeot/Primeape etc.

First of all, if you were fan from the start of the series, would have had some hope of Butterfree returning, unless you could care less which makes me wonder why your posting here in the first place. You & Kira act like your above us who excuse us for having some form of hope. Sure I am disappointed & was pretty excited if it were to return. I moved on & yeah in some level I do agree that people shouldn't get to invested, I did but I decided that its better than most episodes we've gotten.

I don't get why Kira acts all high & mighty & says titles should be "taken with a grain of salt", which is a weird phrase btw, since they are misleading. So if a title said: "Gym Battle, Ash VS ???", should I also take the title with a grain of salt & not come to the conclusion that the episode won't feature Ash in a gym battle?

I don't see why your so against wanting the show to be a bit more serious. Even if its a kids show, I don't see what's so fun about Axew getting lost & acting like a baby when its been around for over 120 episodes. I pray that X & Y will change something because right now the show is too promotion-heavy which is the main reason why so much kiddy stuff is going around.

Naughtynun, yeah it's pretty annoying that they devoted an episode to a Pokemon species that Ash used to have, & will have a similar goodbye to it like he did with his first Butterfree. That is what I DO NOT understand. Now when a Butterfree appears again, I am going to wonder if its the original or the new one, which would be a slap to the face if it was the latter or should I be like Kira & think its a new one?

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
So apparently if someone doesn't care about Ash's Butterfree, they don't care about the anime at all and shouldn't even watch it or post here? What kind of reasoning is that?

I don't understand where you got that idea. I take no pleasure in being right about the Butterfree thing. Nor does anyone else as far as I can tell. We were just asking people not to accuse the writers of "trolling" because it was a harsh thing to say, especially since the writers weren't responsible for hyping this episode to begin with.

We get misleading titles all the time. Heck, we got one a couple of months ago; does "Farewell, Oshawott" ring any bells?

Again, I don't get why those of us who were being calm and reasonable about the entire thing are being attacked. We tried to warn people not to get too hyped because we were afraid that people would end up disappointed, and it happened. From what we know so far, we can assume that Ash's Butterfree isn't returning and although I realize that that comes as a blow to some people, it's really not a big deal in retrospect. At least we get some flashbacks right? That has to count for something. Other Pokemon aren't as lucky.

It's hard to tell whether or not they trolled though. Knowing how the anime works, I don't get why they couldn't have his own Butterfree return, seeing how Decolora is close to Kanto, & the island they are on is for migrating Butterfree. Well it will seem more like trolling if they make this Butterfree return.

Oh trust me, misleading titles are common in Best Wishes. Axew VS Druddigon is also one. The Farewell Oshawott one is actually not misleading. It's titled "Goodbye/Farewell Oshawott!?", it's not stating that it was leaving, it was more in a form of a question. I've already moved on with this whole Butterfree thing, it still raises the question as to why make Ash bond with another Butterfree, since it would really be an insult to even have this new Butterfree reappear someday & would be just as pointless to not make it return either.

I don't get where you got that conclusion that Not caring about Ash's Butterfree = Not watching the anime. Let's just move on already.

Last edited:

Haunter ゴースト

First of all, if you were fan from the start of the series, would have had some hope of Butterfree returning, unless you could care less which makes me wonder why your posting here in the first place.

I have been a fan from the start, and i have had some form of hope for Butterfree returning.

Please read the full post before stating stuff like this as I cleary said how I wanted it to happen, but didn't fall for it all, especially when the rest of the information on the episode was released and things became clear.

After that point a lot of people held onto straws afraid to let go of the thought Butterfree wasn't going to return.

You & Kira act like your above us who excuse us for having some form of hope.

Interesting.

I wouldn't know if i should be classed as a similar entity to Kira, but I do know that i've only responded to naughtynun who made the ridiculous post of blaming the writers over himself for getting his hopes up over one hint that dwizzled out very quickly when more information of the episode was released.

Sure I am disappointed & was pretty excited if it were to return. I moved on & yeah in some level I do agree that people shouldn't get to invested, I did but I decided that its better than most episodes we've gotten.

Same here, so what's the problem?

I don't get why Kira acts all high & mighty & says titles should be "taken with a grain of salt", which is a weird phrase btw, since they are misleading. So if a title said: "Gym Battle, Ash VS ???", should I also take the title with a grain of salt & not come to the conclusion that the episode won't feature Ash in a gym battle?

This.

Seriously though, I don't know.

Me and Kira are not side by side buddys in causing pain and emotional suffering for everybody else here, i'll be surprised if nobody has seen no sort of argument/debate from us on Serebii at least once.

Saying this though, I have nothing against her. I've learnt to realize that the way she talks is the way she is. It may come off as trolling or being belittling but i don't actually think it's intended.

Besides, I don't think she's ever forced anybody to do what she says, so taking the episodes with a grain of salt is your choice, I believe she only says what she herself does.

I don't see why your so against wanting the show to be a bit more serious. Even if its a kids show, I don't see what's so fun about Axew getting lost & acting like a baby when its been around for over 120 episodes. I pray that X & Y will change something because right now the show is too promotion-heavy which is the main reason why so much kiddy stuff is going around.

I'm not (seriously you should have read that post properly).

I've wanted the show to be serious, i've always wanted it to become serious. Nothing is fun about Axew getting lost and I despise it. The last half of your paragraph I completely agree with but let's face it, it's not going to happen unless a new anime begins intended for the more mature audience.

Luthor

Ok what do people think about this with butterfree in this episode surely it's time to show quiver dance. It's a move i've wanted to see in thee anime for ages.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
Butterfree only stands out as Ash's first capture, but other than that, no, it wasn't very important.

Hm? Really? I guess Butterfree isn't as important in any major plot but its pretty important to Ash and his character development, being his first for multiple things.

Not very memorable among newer fans, though. :/

dman_dustin

I agree with Encyclopika.

The problem I see in this episode thread, is people thinking it was Ash's Butterfree, and then there's those who used the same logic they did with Ash's Charizard (and we're wrong), applying it to the only picture of Butterfree we had (with no context).

Then when the episode turned out to be a disappointment, and giving those people who wanted and expected it to be Ash's Butterfree, every right to be upset and disappointed.

Suddenly these other people who were right in this "ONE" instance, thinking they know better, and are insulting and blaming those who thought it was going to be Butterfree. Everyone should get off their high horse, and just drop it.

I've been wrong many times. But I don't constantly put other people down when I turn out right, maybe one satisfying post, that I was finally right for once, but then I drop it, unless I have to bring it up in a similar situation.

That is what the main issue here is. People just need to get off their high horse. Since you same people were wrong when using the same logic in regards to Ash's Charizard. Just because you were right in this one instance does not make you holier than thou and give you the right to act superior to those who thought it was Ash's Butterfree. Just like us who thought it was Ash's Charizard in episode N, had no right to have some holier than thou attitude when we were right.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Hm? Really? I guess Butterfree isn't as important in any major plot but its pretty important to Ash and his character development, being his first for multiple things.

Not very memorable among newer fans, though. :/

Butterfree was definitely important to Ash's character development, back in OS. But frankly, I don't see what he would gain by seeing his Butterfree again. Like aside from the nostalgia factor, how would that affect the plot? I don't see it. I am a little peeved that Ash is once again training a Pokemon that isn't his though. I love the cute little Caterpie to death, but it seems like a slap in the face to those of us who want Ash to train his current team. Like, I won't call it "bad writing," but it's definitely a missed opportunity. I wanted DA to serve as a last-minute training ground for Ash's Unova Pokemon, but all we seem to be getting are fillers. Ugh it's disappointing in several ways, not just because of the Butterfree thing imo.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
There is no such thing as Charizard situation being the same as Butterfree, we KNEW Charizad was going to be in the anime, we SPECULATED Butterfree could be also, Charizard was confirmed, it wasn't just us seeing a poster and believing it was Satoshi Butterfree if we didn't see the poster, saw the title anda summary people wouldn't rage half of what they are, by people I mean two or three.

LizardonX

Banned
There is no such thing as Charizard situation being the same as Butterfree, we KNEW Charizad was going to be in the anime, we SPECULATED Butterfree could be also, Charizard was confirmed, it wasn't just us seeing a poster and believing it was Satoshi Butterfree if we didn't see the poster, saw the title anda summary people wouldn't rage half of what they are, by people I mean two or three.

I recall plenty of denial when the details were first leaked for Charizard. It took 1000 posts or so before it was refuted. So I guess we should be grateful it only took 850 this time :D

Agility

Bah.
They could've atleast done this with a type of Bug-type Ash has never had before. For example a Weedle, or a Burmy / Mothim type thing. They KNEW Ash formerly had a Butterfree, and they knew the fans of that Butterfree would be highly irritated if a whole episode dedicated to a Butterfree archetype was done with an entirely new Caterpie. It's a totally unneeded rehash of Butterfree itself, regardless of whether Ash had captured the Caterpie or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
They could've atleast done this with a type of Bug-type Ash has never had before. For example a Weedle, or a Burmy / Mothim type thing. They KNEW Ash formerly had a Butterfree, and they knew the fans of that Butterfree would be highly irritated if a whole episode dedicated to a Butterfree archetype was done with an entirely new Caterpie. It's a totally unneeded rehash of Butterfree itself, regardless of whether Ash had captured the Caterpie or not.

...You don't get the point of the episode. It is only meaningful if Ash helps raising a Caterpie to kick his brain into memory waves. He won't remember all the flashback he had with his own Butterfree unless he raises a Caterpie, not a Wormadam, not a Wurmple not a Seewaddle and not his Pignite.

Jeez.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
Butterfree was definitely important to Ash's character development, back in OS. But frankly, I don't see what he would gain by seeing his Butterfree again. Like aside from the nostalgia factor, how would that affect the plot? I don't see it. I am a little peeved that Ash is once again training a Pokemon that isn't his though. I love the cute little Caterpie to death, but it seems like a slap in the face to those of us who want Ash to train his current team. Like, I won't call it "bad writing," but it's definitely a missed opportunity. I wanted DA to serve as a last-minute training ground for Ash's Unova Pokemon, but all we seem to be getting are fillers. Ugh it's disappointing in several ways, not just because of the Butterfree thing imo.

Well, they could fit Butterfree in one way or another but it'd still pointless to the plot.

That's a problem with the saga overall; not this episode. I don't see the what's so bad with this episode though, at least its one of the better possible fillers. :/

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Well even though Butterfree most likely won't be seen in person, it's still nice that we are still gona get referenced after all this time.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
So, it'll be airing in about an hour. I guess it might be too much to expect a Butterfree flashback that Misty is in, like when Ash battled Misty for the Cascade badge. At least, I think Butterfree was used there.

Status
Not open for further replies.