• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BWSP: Mewtwo Awakens Prologue (July 11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Either it's a new Mewtwo or they changed Mewtwo's voice because they either honestly thought viewers would be stupid enough to buy it, even when they reaired everything with Mewtwo in it, or they just did not care at all.

nuzamaki90

Either it's a new Mewtwo or they changed Mewtwo's voice because they either honestly thought viewers would be stupid enough to buy it, even when they reaired everything with Mewtwo in it, or they just did not care at all.

Or they just lost contact with the original voice actor, seeing how he hasn't had a role in the anime since the movie.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
If they lost contact with the VA and had to find a new one, you'd think they'd have at least tried to find a similar voice. Newtwo's voice is quite distinct from the original's. It seems deliberate.

Because there's one thing that I don't buy for one second: If this is a new Mewtwo, it shouldn't even be called a Mewtwo. Mewtwo was a name given to the Pokemon by Team Rocket (anime-wise), kind of like how Genesect was likely named by the Team Plasma Scientists who created them. While it's a miracle that the Pokedex even has clairvoyant capabilities regarding Genesect, a new Mewtwo, could not be considered Mewtwo. Not even if you were to have the same Team Rocket information from the original Mewtwo.

Since "Mewtwo" in the anime was more of a codename for the Pokemon, or simply a name they gave it to make it different from Mew (because a cloned Venusaur is still a Venusaur but genetically altering a cloned Mew, creates a different Pokemon). Had another villainous team created this new Mewtwo there's no way they could've named it Mewtwo, nor is there any reason even if they had Team Rocket information, they would choose to keep the name Mewtwo, and not just name it something else.

Plus if it was a new Mewtwo, why haven't they chosen to make it look like it's shiny counterpart. Why purple for a brand new Mewtwo? When the odds we are even going to see a green Mewtwo, is far less likely than creating another Mewtwo.

I don't think the anime has the authority to come up with an entirely new species, or to give Mewtwo a different name like it's a different species. We did get various Speciestwos in the first movie, yes, but that was at a time when the franchise was much less defined in general, and also they weren't in the game, whereas Mewtwo's new form is.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I don't think the anime has the authority to come up with an entirely new species, or to give Mewtwo a different name like it's a different species. We did get various Speciestwos in the first movie, yes, but that was at a time when the franchise was much less defined in general, and also they weren't in the game, whereas Mewtwo's new form is.

The starter clones also weren't altered like Mewtwo is, so they don't count.

dman_dustin

I do get logically why its name is Mewtwo (if it's a new one), because it is an altered Mew clone.

But in the anime world it doesn't make any sense if it wasn't Team Rocket that made this second Mewtwo.

It would be like Nintendo creating a brand new virtual reality system called it "Wii Reality" but it had problems and only one was released, its one copy location unknown, then suddenly Sony or Microsoft coming in, stealing data on the device (or having already stole the data), and then releasing a similar almost perfect copy of the system and calling it "Wii Reality."

I mean yes I suppose in the analogy, Nintendo's memories were forever altered, to not remember their "Wii Reality" system, but talk about lazy, for not branding it with its own name Sony/Microsoft.

Unless of course Mewtwo is officially the species name of a genetically altered Mew clone, no matter what it may look like.

Because again, anime wise, its name is Mewtwo because that was the name Team Rocket gave it. It's name or existence in the anime is not exactly common knowledge, since despite being made in the 1st gen is probably the newest Pokemon species of the entire world, perhaps only Porygon Z being newer, or something of that nature. And there isn't a lot of mythologies within the Pokemon Universe that revolve around Mewtwo outside of potentially "a rare Pokemon has been sighted in Lumiose City" thus it's not exactly going to have an anime Pokedex entry, until it can be properly recorded by officials.

So unless someone (involved in the creation of the original Mewtwo) has official power to name Pokemon permanently, for new species, and they copyrighted it, and etc, etc, there's just no reason why a villainous team would name their Altered Mew Clone, which is somehow closely related to the original Mewtwo, but has the ability to transform into a new forme, and yet still calling it Mewtwo. Since technically it is a different species, since the first, original Mewtwo could not as far as we know change its forme.

Last edited:

Steelia

forever.
According to FANG-TAN, most of the Japanese fans are fixated on the idea that Mewtwo's identity is defined by its voice, so they pretty much lost interest in the movie back in April. They don't seem to be discussing the situation anymore.

This actually worries me.
If a good handful of the Japanese fans don't bother going to the movie due to the new (frankly terrible) voice casting change, I don't see GAME FREAK kicking themselves because of the VA choice... rather, they may end up viewing it as Mewtwo not being popular/profitable marketing material like they thought, and sweep him under the rug. It's ludicrous, but when it comes to making money, business and financial disappointment don't mix.

I'd gladly take being pointed out as paranoid & dead wrong versus this coming to fruition. And I'd rather GAME FREAK actually notice that the very strange VA casting choice was a bad one, and blame any movie financial woes on that instead of Mewtwo himself... new clone or not.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
This actually worries me.
If a good handful of the Japanese fans don't bother going to the movie due to the new (frankly terrible) voice casting change, I don't see GAME FREAK kicking themselves because of the VA choice... rather, they may end up viewing it as Mewtwo not being popular/profitable marketing material like they thought, and sweep him under the rug. It's ludicrous, but when it comes to making money, business and financial disappointment don't mix.

I'd gladly take being pointed out as paranoid & dead wrong versus this coming to fruition. And I'd rather GAME FREAK actually notice that the very strange VA casting choice was a bad one, and blame any movie financial woes on that instead of Mewtwo himself... new clone or not.

The kids will still go to the movie, that reaction is probably from older fans ,

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The kids will still go to the movie, that reaction is probably from older fans ,

I can see some of the kids questioning Mewtwo's new voice considering they most likely have seen the first movie and Mewtwo Returns at this point. Yeah, kids are fickle enough to accept anything, but I'm sure there are those who will be a little OCD about it and go, "Why does he sound like a girl?" And then the young boys will go "Ewwww, he's got cooties!" (Okay, probably not...) Of course, kids are smarter than we give them credit for, so no matter what, they're going to notice he sounds different, whether they question it or not.

We should probably keep an eye out for the ratings of the prologue, and box office results to see if we can draw any conclusions.

This is perhaps the first time the Japanese fandom experienced a voice change issue. They always get excellent voice actors for Pokemon like Mamoru Miyano (Dento) etc.(In case anyone doesn't know he's a two time award winner as the protagonist of Death Note). So this is the first time I think the Japanese fans ever experienced something like this. I am curious as for what the effect would be.

Acdog

Is it confirmed that this Mewtwo is different? Wish someone could translate the trailer.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
This is perhaps the first time the Japanese fandom experienced a voice change issue. They always get excellent voice actors for Pokemon like Mamoru Miyano (Dento) etc.(In case anyone doesn't know he's a two time award winner as the protagonist of Death Note). So this is the first time I think the Japanese fans ever experienced something like this. I am curious as for what the effect would be.

Giovanni's seiyuu changed in 2005 or 2006. Granted, it was because his original seiyuu died, but it was still changed.

Megumi Hayashibara was also absent on maternity leave from playing Jessie for some time several years ago, and another seiyuu played her.

In a minor one, Dino was voiced by Shinichiro Miki in his speaking appearance during the Club Battle but had a new seiyuu by the time of the Unova League.

So yeah, Mewtwo is the highest-profile character to get a voice change, but it's happened under varying circumstances before.

Is it confirmed that this Mewtwo is different? Wish someone could translate the trailer.

Read back in the thread, it is translated. The question of Mewtwo's identity is not clearly answered still, but depending on who you ask it's leaning toward being different.

Acdog

Well, we'll all have our answer in the next two weeks. I really hope this is the original Mewtwo.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

Lol, "Basil". Now he's a mouse detective. Prologue just got even more awesome. The game's afoo*SHOT*

And I was correct about Danku sounding like Neuro from Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro 83. I'm so proud of myself for recognizing his voice. I will now officially forever see Danku as a mystery-eating demon from Hell who torments a schoolgirl for the hell of it. Prologue's gonna be glorious with that kind of mindset XD. I really-really-really hope he's a good villain in this one (he better be the villain, dammit).

Ooh, Koichi Yamadera is Red Genesect. DAMMIT, we were so close to getting him and Masachika Ichimura to work together again. *kicks casting agency in shin*

mtqc

MY BEANS!
I'm still not understanding what's definitively making this Mewtwo a different one... the flashbacks could have occurred before Virgil runs into it. A lot could have happened between Johto and now, I don't get it.

And even if it is a different one, who cares? The anime does this stuff all the time. Jirachi was different or it wouldn't be awake. There were multiple Lugia... I'm not seeing the big deal.

I'm really excited to see this, though. I hope it'll have a good backstory explanation, I want to know more * u *

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
And even if it is a different one, who cares? The anime does this stuff all the time. Jirachi was different or it wouldn't be awake. There were multiple Lugia... I'm not seeing the big deal.

Except Mewtwo was supposed to be one-of-a-kind aka he was created by humans not born like other Pokemon are. It doesn't make sense for there to be two Mewtwo in the world, especially since nobody should have been able to completely replicate the original without some sort of blueprint/genetic model, which would have been impossible to obtain given that Mewtwo destroyed the lab in which he was created. There's a gaping plot hole if this is a different Mewtwo. :x

mtqc

MY BEANS!
Except Mewtwo was supposed to be one-of-a-kind aka he was created by humans not born like other Pokemon are. It doesn't make sense for there to be two Mewtwo in the world, especially since nobody should have been able to completely replicate the original without some sort of blueprint/genetic model, which would have been impossible to obtain given that Mewtwo destroyed the lab in which he was created. There's a gaping plot hole if this is a different Mewtwo. :x

Couldn't someone have sneaked inside the lab while Mewtwo was still being created and grabbed the plans for themselves? Or maybe it was a lucky shot and they did clone it correctly? I can think of a few more possibilities as well, but this is all grabbing at straws so I'm not gonna list 'em. Point is, there's many possible explanations! u w u

I dunno though, I think y'all are expecting way too much continuity-wise from the anime. :p

EDIT: Just thought of something... doesn't the fact that I'm trying to grasp at straws for possibilities lend itself further to the fact that it's the same Mewtwo, or just a parallel universe one?

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Did that site just seriously call Virgil "Basil"? How the hell does one go from Virgil to Basil? wtf

Virgil -> Vaagiru -> Baaziru -> Basil. I guess.

Giovanni's seiyuu changed in 2005 or 2006. Granted, it was because his original seiyuu died, but it was still changed.

Megumi Hayashibara was also absent on maternity leave from playing Jessie for some time several years ago, and another seiyuu played her.

In a minor one, Dino was voiced by Shinichiro Miki in his speaking appearance during the Club Battle but had a new seiyuu by the time of the Unova League.

Were those voices similar to the originals, or at least trying to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.