• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bye Blissey; how certain pokes and moves will change the metagame

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
Oh, we must remember the days of Chansey/Blissey.

In 1st gen, Chansey was a veritable Special machine of destruction, and a tank.
Then 2nd gen rolled around, it became Blissey, and Special was split, but it remained the Special tank.
In 3rd gen it remained the same as 2nd, mostly.
With 4th gen and its Special fighting moves and variety of mixed attackers, but it still held the line!

But now we must look at the new move, Psycho Shock. It attacks with Sp. Attack, but hits Defense. And as a TM, any Special attacker worth its salt has it now; from Alakazam to Ninetales, Togekiss to Starmie, everything will be killing this poor Special tank we all know and love.

So how will moves like this, and new pokemon and their abilities change the metagame? This is an open-ended discussion on the subject, so feel free to bring up anything (and yes, we have all heard of Drizzle Politoed, Drought Ninetales, and Speed-Boost Blaziken). Also discuss the viability of new pokemon and how some will linger behind, and some will come forward into the OU wonder.

With a "pre-evolution" Stone held, Chansey can tank Physical hits better than Swampert. Psychic also has horrible coverage.

Oddly I expect both Chansey and Blissey to be OU this gen. Chansey due to mixed walling and Blissey for its ability to actually attack.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
With a "pre-evolution" Stone held, Chansey can tank Physical hits better than Swampert. Psychic also has horrible coverage.

Oddly I expect both Chansey and Blissey to be OU this gen. Chansey due to mixed walling and Blissey for its ability to actually attack.
But Chansey's Defense will still be fairly bad, though it has the HP advantage. Blissey
might also go by the wayside because it is outclassed by Chansey as a special tank due to the Evolution Stone.

Defense will be about average to an OU sweeper, but 650+ HP will give it more durability that Swampert. Imagine switching Chansey in on mixmence Outrage and laughing.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
Defense will be about average to an OU sweeper, but 650+ HP will give it more durability that Swampert. Imagine switching Chansey in on mixmence Outrage and laughing.
True, and with the new 90-accuracy Toxic it barely even needs an offensive move.

Skull-Kid

True, and with the new 90-accuracy Toxic it barely even needs an offensive move.

Well, it still has Seismic Toss.

This is copied directly from Smogon so I take no credit for this:

Blissey is saved by one little thing - Leftovers, which almost negates advantage which Chansey has here. Chansey has 30 SpD points LESS then Chansey, which is huge difference. If Blissey switches directly - it looses when compared to Chansey. However when Blissey switch in while not taking hit, she fares a bit better, as this little Leftovers helps in this case. And most important thing - Blissey may use special attacks, while Chansey means free boost for Ghost type Pokemon. But yeah, Chansey gains a huge boost with this Stone, which this proves. Anyway, Chansey surprisingly with this boost may be compared to Blissey. Heck, may be even better in some situations. But still - Chansey still struggle against strong physical attackers and unlike Blissey can't threat any switch-in with SE effective offensive attack, making her much less vulnerable against stat-up users. Just to end this - Chansey is another Pokemon, which gains second life as a NFE Pokemon and will surely find a place in some teams, even in higher tiers.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
Other pokemon not to be ignored are Poison-Heal Gliscor and Denchura with Compoundeyes and Thunder as a defensive and offensive threat respectively.

EDIT: Also I can see anything with Shell Armour (like Daikenki) good againt the new auto-crit moves that will destroy defense-boosting pokemon, and the Storm Drain Cradily might destroy Water types.

Are there any speedy Anger Point Pokemon that can take a hit against those guaranteed critical moves? The only ones I can remember are Tauros and Primeape, but they may need choice scarf or salac berry to pull it off...

Empoleon Bonaparte

Are there any speedy Anger Point Pokemon that can take a hit against those guaranteed critical moves? The only ones I can remember are Tauros and Primeape, but they may need choice scarf or salac berry to pull it off...

Camerupt and the Meguroko line are the only other ones.
Final croc evo has 92 speed, so I'm afraid your options are very limited.

jellsprout

Chansey can't carry a Shed Shell. Especially with Seismic Toss, she is utter set-up bait for Wobbuffet and Chandelier, or Wynaut if those two get banned.
Wynaut and Wobby can Encore her into a supportive attack, such as Softboiled, and proceed to Tickle her to -6 where she can get taken out by a Pursuit, or she can be used as a free set-up for Lucario or one of the Dragons.
Chandelier can set up a Sub to block Toxic, is immune to Seismic Toss and can proceed to set-up to +6/+6/+6.
I don't know if Gothgirl gets any useful support moves, but I doubt Chansey will enjoy staying in against her either.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
I think Chansey and Blissey will still barely be in OU. Chansey because of the Pre-Evo Stone and Blissey is still pretty good, but not as good as she was in the 4th Gen.

We'll see if chansey is going to be that powerfull, otherwise knock off will be quite a popular move, or weavile's new ability will be standard for countering these NFE walls. Maybe Sandstorm and Hail will get even more popular.

:wub:disc

more like :mam:anbou
hey guys i don't know if you've heard but wish now heals half of the USER'S HP (my friend tested this and there have been multiple confirmations to add to this) so blissey will probably be used just because it can pretty much give everything a free rest without the sleep. psycho shock will obviously smack it around a bit and it doesn't seem like a lot of people realise this yet but it isn't going to be some blissey-killer sending it into the depths of BL.

093.gif

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I can't see Blissey falling out of OU.
However, I can see Politoed and Ninetales rising due to their new abilities, and with them Storm Dish Cradily and Sun/Rain teams.

^ Just to comment, Shanderaa is actually one of the few things that can clean 2HKO Bliss now. :/
That being said though, I'm sure Bliss will remain OU because it's simply unmatched at special walling up to now. As mentioned already, Wish heals half of the user's HP. I don't even have to say how useful this would be on something as HP rich on Blissey.

EDIT: Meant the reply in the first part for Overheat. :)

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
As mentioned already, Wish heals half of the user's HP. I don't even have to say how useful this would be on something as HP rich on Blissey.

The problem with that is Wish Blissey will pretty much only be usable on battle sims. Getting an actual in-game one with anywhere near good IVs/nature would be almost impossible.

The problem with that is Wish Blissey will pretty much only be usable on battle sims. Getting an actual in-game one with anywhere near good IVs/nature would be almost impossible.

Uh huh, unfortunately. Personally I only battle on Shoddy (and the new one at Smogon looks very promising) so it's only good news for simulator users. :/
Bliss remains a top tier special wall nonetheless.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Other pokemon not to be ignored are Poison-Heal Gliscor and Denchura with Compoundeyes and Thunder as a defensive and offensive threat respectively.

EDIT: Also I can see anything with Shell Armour (like Daikenki) good againt the new auto-crit moves that will destroy defense-boosting pokemon, and the Storm Drain Cradily might destroy Water types.

Denchura doesn't really have a movepool that benefits from Compoundeyes other than Thunder, and it basically has terrible stats, especially with 130+ stats being tossed out in this gen.

And I'm not positive on this yet, but I think that Poison Heal Glis can't get Roost.

But yeah, going back to Psycho Shock, it's basically one of the moves in this gen that will make stall way less viable (it's already sadly not really viable in 5th gen, at least until it settles out and gets Shanderra and such banned). It'll also basically let Mewtwo kill anything in Ubers other than Spec. Defense Tar. c:

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
Denchura doesn't really have a movepool that benefits from Compoundeyes other than Thunder, and it basically has terrible stats, especially with 130+ stats being tossed out in this gen.[/quote]True enough, and I noticed it doesn't get Focus Blast, which would also have made it much more viable with Compoundeyes.

And I'm not positive on this yet, but I think that Poison Heal Glis can't get Roost.
Nor Stealth Rock.

But yeah, going back to Psycho Shock, it's basically one of the moves in this gen that will make stall way less viable (it's already sadly not really viable in 5th gen, at least until it settles out and gets Shanderra and such banned). It'll also basically let Mewtwo kill anything in Ubers other than Spec. Defense Tar. c:
Mewtwo gets his own version of the move with 100 base power that, yes, will kill Ubers. But yeah, I agree, Stalls aren't very useful right now in 5th gen. It's even more offensive than 4th, which is hard to do.

Also, does anyone else think that with its typing, stats, ability and moveset Sazando will go Ubers like Garchomp (especially Rough Skin Garchomp)?