• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bye Bye, Butterfree (021)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It was so sad when Butterfree went I nearly cried. Butterfree should have stayed because he was the absolute best Pokemon Ash has ever owned or will ever own. But I don't think they should bring Butterfree back, it would just spark a load of arguments and everyone would forget this beautiful episode.

Shayuin

Banned
What bugs me is how Ash was acting like Butterfree leaving was so tragic even though the poor thing and Ash hardly even bonded after it evolved.

Alloutℯ

Banned
God how I hated when the Pink Butterfree disliked Ash's Butterfree. What was her problem and how come we never got to see Ash meet her trainer properly?

Manchee

extra toasty
I forgot how soon in this episode was... oh well, see you later, Butterfree. This was a cute episode, even if the emotional pull was a little forced at the end. I think it was meaningful for Ash to release Butterfree, but I wish that we all got to see its personality more before it was released. I loved seeing it shine and have the whole episode to itself, and it would have been nice to see that develop even just a few episodes longer.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I forgot how soon in this episode was... oh well, see you later, Butterfree. This was a cute episode, even if the emotional pull was a little forced at the end. I think it was meaningful for Ash to release Butterfree, but I wish that we all got to see its personality more before it was released. I loved seeing it shine and have the whole episode to itself, and it would have been nice to see that develop even just a few episodes longer.

Butterfree definitely needed to develop more prior to his farewell. Speaking retrospectively, I now wonder if he was released due to the writers simply not being committed to giving him development.

Butterfree was my favorite Ash Pokemon in Kanto so I was crying when we saw Pikachu and Ash cry for him. I heard that Butterfree die after breeding though which I hope isn't true because it sounds too sad.

gentwoer

I heard that Butterfree die after breeding though which I hope isn't true because it sounds too sad.

That stupid rumor was debunked years ago. Dogasu's backback even covered it explaining where it came from and why it was stupid and it boils down to a very very bad translation from the Japanese version from some clueless fan

gentwoer

A lot of people liked this episode or remember it fondly but to me it was just okay. I never cared much for Butterfree so I wasn't sad to see it go and it was unfortunately sandwiched between two really stellar episodes making it look more meh in the process. I did like the twerps saying the Rocket motto and the scene with Pikachu jumping on the helicopter and the back and forth with Team Rocket

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
(Going by memory.) For awhile after the Indigo Saga ended Kids WB would play collections of Pokemon episodes representing parts of Ash's journey.

-Every episode where a Pokemon evolved.
-Every Gym Episode
-The 1st 5 episodes of the show
-Each episode Ash caught a Pokemon
-Etc.

Guess which pokemon was in almost every collection?

While Butterfree wasn't in the series very long, he did see a lot of exposure.

And, while I have this window open, I might as well post this here:

So there's this rumor going around that in the Japanese version of this episode, Takeshi says that right after the Butterfree mate, they die. I guess the idea is that some real-world butterflies die after they mate and that Butterfree, in the Japanese version, is only following suit. There are other versions of the rumor state that the Pokemon Bestiary is the one that actually gives this fact despite the fact that the device doesn't have a single line of dialogue in the entire episode.

Either way, the idea is that Butterfree dies and 4Kids edited this out to prevent the kiddies from being upset at the idea of one of their pokemon friends biting the dust.

This rumor isn't true in the least. Butterfree is still very much alive.

Finding out how a rumor this old got started is a little bit on the impossible side, especially since the rumors are pretty vague when it comes to exactly when in the episode this explanation is supposedly given. However, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that this is the line that the rumors refer to:

Japanese Dialogue
My English Translation
English Dub Dialogue
Takeshi: "Umi o watarasanai to, shison nokosu naku naru"
Takeshi: "It if doesn't cross the ocean [and mate], it won't leave behind any offspring."
Brock: "If you don't let it cross the sea, it will never have babies."
Satoshi: "Yabee!"
Satoshi: "Yikes..."
Ash: "Babies!?"
Takeshi also says pretty much the same thing at the end of the episode when everyone's bidding Butterfree adieu.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason for this "Butterfree dies" rumor is that someone mistook the word shison (子孫, "offspring") for the word shisou (死傷, "injuries and death"). It's an easy enough mistake to make, I suppose, provided you completely ignore the rest of the sentence and zone in solely on the word "death." For years, though, people just took these fans' word for it, convinced that 4Kids was trying to shield us from the horrible, horrible truth.

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/kanto/ep021.html

In short, Butterfree don't die after mating. They never did; it was just a misunderstanding caused by a bad fan translation which has been lost.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
In short, Butterfree don't die after mating. They never did; it was just a misunderstanding caused by a bad fan translation which has been lost.

I never understood this misunderstanding since it seemed odd that any Pokemon would die after mating, and even if it had been true, I doubt that Satoshi would've allowed Butterfree to leave in that case.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Even if it is only a rumor, I firmly believe that Butterfree do in fact die after mating. It makes the episode more beautiful and believable.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikachu Fan Number Nine said:
Even if it is only a rumor, I firmly believe that Butterfree do in fact die after mating. It makes the episode more beautiful and believable.

How did you come to that conclusion? I know that real world butterflies sometimes die after mating, but this is Pokemon, so the same thing doesn't necessarily apply.

giphy.gif

This episode always makes me sad especially knowing that Butterfree will never appear again other than as a flashback or cameo in one of the theme songs. In truth we never really got to know Butterfree that much and all we got to learn about him was that he wanted to evolve back when he was a Caterpie. Since he achieved his dream in the Beedrill episode it made sense that his story was over and he could leave Ash's team without repercussions. 8/10

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
This episode always made me cry back then.

I didn't cry even though I realized that it would be the last time that we would see Ash with his Butterfree.

I think I was more upset by how much violence was in this episode and how TR tried so hard to ruin the Butterfree mating ritual.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I didn't cry even though I realized that it would be the last time that we would see Ash with his Butterfree.

I think I was more upset by how much violence was in this episode and how TR tried so hard to ruin the Butterfree mating ritual.
Might that be TR's most evil moment in the Indigo saga? Stopping the mating ritual could've significantly hurt the population of Butterfree, essentially killing hundreds of them before they were conceived.

Leonhart

Imagineer
As irritating as the Rocket-dan were here, I don't think that their plan would've hurt the Butterfree population since the species seemed common even in the OS saga. In order for the wild Butterfree population to have decreased, the Rocket-dan would've had to capture practically all the wild Butterfree in the region.