• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

C++, .NET, MySQL, Perl, Python etc. Help

chaos on the internet

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
If you just want to get it working look at

http://www.mvps.org/user32/directxtutorial.html

It'd probably be best to google for tutorials than ask me for help on huge subjects like this, since I don't have the time to write a complete tutorial on DirectX ;/

Thanks anyway ^_^

D

DarkChocoboKnight

I'm developing several programs in C#, VB.NET and VB. And Yes I am the head developer of DB's Pokemon Program Suite 2006 and Project Manyula.

All of the programs in my Pokemon Program Suite 2006 group of programs are programmed in VB 6, where the next version (Project Manyula) is programmed with a combination of C# and VB.NET.

I have made different versions in each language and the fastest running one so far is C#, though my skills in C# are sub par. Any ideas on where to find good C# tutorials, free ebooks, etc?

chaos on the internet

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
C# and VB.NET in theory should run at exactly the same speed. They both compile to Microsoft's intermediate .NET language. I'd seriously consider C++ instead of both though. C++ with wxWindows will compile with graphics and internet support on many different platforms, compared to VB and .NET languages which will only work on Windows.

That's cool about the Pokemon projects, however i've never heard of them. I'm one of the developers of NetBattle, although that's written in VB and not C++ like i'd like :(

N

NightwolfAA2k5

And Yes I am the head developer of DB's Pokemon Program Suite 2006 and Project Manyula.

NO DarkChocoboKnight I AM THE HEAD DEVELOPER! Don't get cheeky!

I suppose I should start learning C++ anyway. I just downloaded a whole heap of C++ tutorials... I may as well use them...

Coming Soon - DBPPS 2006 (C++) Likely a long way off but it is nice to dream :)

O

OneOfOne

Am i the only one who likes perl here? :-/
I love C# (God bless mono), java ain't so bad either, can't live without php/apache but perl is just for everyday use, 1 liners, etc.
Code:
curl -s http://whatismyip.com | perl -ne 'print "$1\n" if m@\s(\d+\..+?)</h1>@'
^___ cheap one liner to get your public ip

my site have some (n00bish) scripts.

peace

chaos on the internet

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
You must be, as I believe perl to be absolute trash. Maybe it isn't so bad for one liners, but it's hell writing a serious application in it. I'd much rather use Ruby or PHP for developing web applications.

O

OneOfOne

chaos, actually one of the most popular dvd ripping GUIs in linux is written in Perl/GTK+ but i do agree for a web applications php/asp.net are the best.

on the other hand ruby is almost as bad as python, syntax wise.

chaos on the internet

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ruby and Python have a much cleaner syntax than Perl does. I cringe everytime I see "my $x." I never said it wasn't possible to write a large application in Perl, but I sure wouldn't do it myself.

As for web development, you sure didn't mention Ruby on Rails ;)

X

Xtreme

I find Java to be so much more practical than C++ for designing applications because of Swing (for those who aren't familiar with it, it is used to make GUIs). Sure, C++ is more convenient for text-base programs, but who uses CLI's other than developers? It's not like your average next-door neighbor Joe Schmoe sits down to his computer with a cup of coffee and opens up a Unix shell or the MS-Dos prompt window. I don't see why C++ is so popular. That being said, C# looks like a good language although I don't know any syntax. I detest VB but that might stem from my hatred of Microsoft. Can someone please explain to me the benefits of C++? Thanks and take care.

Edit: I assume it's okay to respond to an old sticky. Correct me if that's a bad assumption.

ricocheting

Noob Trainer
Admin
having used java, c++, c# and VB i'll comment on what I like/don't like. to me the main disadvantage of Java is that if you get anything more complex than a simple dialog box with a few controls the java app/JVM tend to start eating a ton of RAM. also for java apps to run correctly the person has to have JVM (which honestly, the majority of windows users still don't have).

one of the main reasons i left Java is because of Swing. it's GUI always felt "sticky" to me (don't know how else to explain it). controls and dialog boxed didn't use to have the response time that C++ etc with windows-controls had (although i have noticed a vast improvement over the last year or so).

to me, C++ is good because if written correctly it'll run on almost any windows machine (and if written correctly and compiled for that platform) and it might run on different OS like linux. also a C++ program generally has a very small memory footprint. C++ is also probably one of the most powerful languages where Java you are limited to JMV (although those limits most people will never reach).

VB to me, I just HATE the syntax. I hate having to type "END IF;" i like just using a bracket like java, c++, c#. also VB also isn't real powerful except for dialog/window based programs.

If you've used java before, you'd probably like C#. syntax is very similar and i've head a few java fans complained lot of the ideas for the syntax must have gotten ripped right out of java.

Trip

Former Staff Member
Anyone have a good SVG guide handy?

- Trip

P

playingwithfire

This is a very common forum argument but the reality is if your a newbie and you want to start out use what ever language you like. You will adapt to the languages that do your tasks over time and nearly every compiler is free meaning the only $$$ you'll be spending is on books/classes and heck if you don't want to spend money then just read the endless amount of documentation each of these programming languages have.