• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can anyone be racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullFathomsFive

Genocide is the direct killing of a LARGE group of people. What are you on? Chechnya has been accused of endorsing LGBT genocide. Unless you’re claiming that constitutes as a race as well?

The Nazis didn't murder 6m Jews on account of their religion. They did so due to an insane belief in racial inferiority.

Anyway, it doesn't actually matter that much. The Jewish people are a race, and there are thousands if not millions of secular Jews worldwide. They include such famous names as Albert Einstein, Billy Joel, Stan Lee and Stephen Fry.

Jews, or Jewish people are an ethnoreligious group and a nation... Jewish ethnicity, nationhood, and religion are strongly interrelated, as Judaism is the ethnic religion of the Jewish people, while its observance varies from strict observance to complete nonobservance.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
There's two different uses of Jew. One is the ethnic Jew, the people whose ancestry lies in the long-gone region of Judea, and the religious Jew, a person who practices Judaism. Hatred of the former is racism, hatred of the latter is prejudice (assuming they aren't themselves ethnic Jews, which obviously, a lot of them are).

Anyone can be racist. If you hate someone and/or believe they are subhuman simply for the color of their skin, you're a racist. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter if you're in the majority or the minority.

A hypothetical example:

Scenario 1: It's 1859 in Alabama. A slave escapes and kills his abusive master, then heads north on the Underground Railroad. He is not a racist, because he merely killed his oppressor.

Scenario 2: It's 1859 in Alabama. A slave escapes and kills his abusive master, then heads north on the Underground Railroad. While traveling the Railroad, he kills every white person he sees, even if they are directly helping him, even if they're children. He is a racist, because he is targeting people for their race rather than their actions.
So now I’m about to use your words against you. How could someone be racist to a Jewish people if it’s completely dependent on how you said “the color of your skin”? The definition provided within itself is a contradiction. Are they being racist because the Jewish person appears white? Wouldn’t that be racism against white people quote on quote? This just proves my point even further that racism in more complex than “omg they said something mean”. I’m not arguing Judaism isn’t a race anymore since I need to look further into the topic but due note how that’s confusing. Also I already brought the topic of going to the extremes of murder and hypothetical scenarios concerning that; show me an actual case and then we can have a conversation.

The Nazis didn't murder 6m Jews on account of their religion. They did so due to an insane belief in racial inferiority.

Anyway, it doesn't actually matter that much. The Jewish people are a race, and there are thousands if not millions of secular Jews worldwide. They include such famous names as Albert Einstein, Billy Joel, Stan Lee and Stephen Fry.
You do know the link you provided called them an ethnicity right? If Judaism is a race than yes I agree that they can be included in the scope of people effected by racism since they aren’t the majority (as I said in earlier post). I just need you find better sources of “minorities being racist” (since that’s your end goal let’s be real) than be people claiming to be Jesus.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I realize this quite a heated topic but I’ve never really outwardly asked a group of people this question (or anyone really). Before the thread starts let me just say, I don’t personally think so. I think anyone can be prejudice but not racist. If one group has a certain amount of power/influence on another group (past or present) racism doesn’t effect them because it doesn’t involve oppression. I think oppression is the key word in deciding if it’s possible to be truly racist to someone.
Racism does not need to involve oppression. That's got a special name: systemic racism. And the way you phrase it "power or influence, past or present)" pretty much implies that if the positions have switched in the modern day, then the now-lower people are still the racists, because they used to have power over the other group.

As for before, I should have said "color of their skin/origin of their ancestry", as that would then cover all ethnic Jews and cases like them.

Sham

Racism does not need to involve oppression. That's got a special name: systemic racism. And the way you phrase it "power or influence, past or present)" pretty much implies that if the positions have switched in the modern day, then the now-lower people are still the racists, because they used to have power over the other group.

As for before, I should have said "color of their skin/origin of their ancestry", as that would then cover all ethnic Jews and cases like them.
That’s in no way saying that. And if you read my earlier posts it has nothing to do with lower people outclassing the above people (because let’s face it you’re talking about black and white people based on your slave example).

FullFathomsFive

I just need you find better sources of “minorities being racist” (since that’s your end goal let’s be real) than be people claiming to be Jesus.

Your end goal is 'minorities can't ever be racist'.

According to surveys begun in 1964 by the Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish organization, African Americans are significantly more likely than white Americans to hold antisemitic beliefs. There is a strong correlation between higher education levels and the rejection of anti-Semitic stereotypes for all races. Black Americans of all education levels are significantly more likely than whites of the same education level to be anti-Semitic.

In the 1998 survey, blacks (34%) were nearly four times as likely as whites (9%) to have answers that identified them as being of the most anti-Semitic category (those agreeing with at least 6 of 11 statements that were potentially or clearly antisemitic). Among blacks with no college education, 43% responded as the most anti-Semitic group (vs. 18% for the general population). This percentage fell to 27% among blacks with some college education, and 18% among blacks with a four-year college degree (vs. 5% for the general population).

If Judaism is a race than yes I agree that they can be included in the scope of people effected by racism since they aren’t the majority (as I said in earlier post).

So antisemitism stops existing once you set foot in Israel, or any Jewish community? What geographic scope are you working with?

Sham

So antisemitism stops existing once you set foot in Israel, or any Jewish community? What geographic scope are you workign with?
This is getting tiring also notice they’re calling it “anti Semitic” not racist. Let’s discuss something more recent shall we? “

“Nearly 16 percent of the 4,131 incidents in 2017 involving race or ethnicity were fueled by anti-black or African-American bias, increasing to 2,013 from 1,739 in 2016, the FBI said.

Of the 6,370 known offenders in the report, 50.7 percent were white, while 21.3 percent were Black or African-American.”

Source:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-spiked-37-percent-in-2017-fbi-idUSKCN1NI2H6

Wow you’re really going all out to try to prove that black people are these racist people out to kill aren’t you?

Either way Jews aren’t oppressing black people and vice versa so what are you getting at here?

FullFathomsFive

This is getting tiring also notice they’re calling it “anti Semitic” not racist.

Antisemitism is a form of racism.

“Nearly 16 percent of the 4,131 incidents in 2017 involving race or ethnicity were fueled by anti-black or African-American bias, increasing to 2,013 from 1,739 in 2016, the FBI said.

Of the 6,370 known offenders in the report, 50.7 percent were white, while 21.3 percent were Black or African-American.”

No dispute here whatsoever. Anti-black racism is by far the most prevalent and dangerous form of racism in the US.

Wow you’re really going all out to try to prove that black people are these racist people out to kill aren’t you?

You're going really all out to disguise the fact that your core premise is shot to bits. The answer to your thread is 'Yes', as proven above.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
If you have to make up imaginary scenarios and go through pages after pages on Google looking for proof you experience racism; racism probably isn’t apart of your day to day life just saying

Sham

Antisemitism is a form of racism.

No dispute here whatsoever. Anti-black racism is by far the most prevalent and dangerous form of racism in the US.

You're going really all out to disguise the fact that your core premise is shot to bits. The answer to your thread is 'Yes', as proven above.
Read the rest of it, 50% percent of hate crimes are committed by white people. So your dated study is irrelevant when in current year it’s still proven white people are committing most of the hate crimes. You’ve done nothing dispute my claim expect bring Jews into this (people who aren’t the oppressors) and bring up on crazy black guy.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Read the rest of it, 50% percent of hate crimes are committed by white people. So your dated study is irrelevant when in current year it’s still proven white people are committing most of the hate crimes. You’ve done nothing dispute my claim expect bring Jews into this (people who aren’t the oppressors) and bring up on crazy black guy.

Yes, 50% of hate crimes are committed by white people. Doesn't negate other acts of racism committed by non whites.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I haven't been to this board in ages. I was worried that I missed out on a lot of topics, but I didn't. I actually made this very same topic a few years ago, but I can't find it anywhere. Ironically enough, that topic also ended with someone confused if Judaism was a race (it is).

TC: Is my dad racist if he thinks Chinese people are cheap or that Vietnamese people are unclean. He also doesn't like Pakistani people.

Also, the animated gifs in your signature are annoying, especially the third one where it shows the girl and then zooms into her lover's eye.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Yes. Anyone can be racist. My dad can be racist towards Chinese people who keep calling him constantly for very stupid reasons when he asks them nicely not to do so and when they refuse to take care of their cars and expecting us to fix said cars when they break down and do it right away. The irony is that we are technically Chinese. Racism doesn’t have to be full scaled but rather limited to certain stereotypes. My dad is fine most of the time but he does look down on AA that insist on wearing baggy clothes and listening to hardcore rap music while not having any drive to improve their own lives and not being very respectful. I kind of see where my dad is coming from with that. But he also has customers who are AA and have been coming to us for years and show him respect. He just thinks that people need to dress decently and not look like a mess and be respectful towards people.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Considering this thread went as well as the past half dozen times we’ve had it, I’d think this is a good enough stopping point as we watch people misunderstand things like the difference between racism and bigotry.

Status
Not open for further replies.