• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can anyone explain WHY Pikachu is the go-to mascot?

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
tv show i guess

EliJolesy

Personally, I believe that either dunsparce, shuckle, or smeargle should've been the pokmeon mascot. They don't get enough love, if any at all.......

Yea how would that have worked when we started in Kanto and all of those are Johto Pokemon?

trident20

ground types
I think its pikachu because he is the most famous.

even people who dont know what pokemon really is, they know pikachu at least

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
I agree with the androgyny perspective here. If you are decorating a baby's room and you don't know the sex yet, you choose yellow because that is seen as intermediary color choice for both genders. Not to mention a lot of creators of Japanese animation grew up being influenced by Walt Disney, their main character being a mouse as well.

I also look at it from a marketing perspective as well, your mascot should never change in its appearance. So when you give the main character of your show, a creature that evolves when it hits a certain level, your image has to change as well. By giving Ash a Pikachu, it allows him to maintain his innocence as a young child, it creates situational dilemmas where he must overcome obstacles in a certain fashion. Think about it, if his main pokemon was a Charizard, and he brought Charizard into every battle with him, Ash would be seen as a powerful mature individual who could just throw Charizard out and demolish trainers. Where as how many times do we see Pikachu struggle against a trainer or gym leader, increase his strength through some situation and come back for a re-match. Finally, Pikachu only evolves when you use a Thunder stone, way back when Ash fought Lt. Surge we saw how his Raichu had changed through being evolved, not just appearance wise but personality wise as well. How do you ensure that your mascot stays the same throughout? Choose one that does not change when it reaches a certain level, and choose one that evolves by the trainer's choice rather than any other way.

D

Deleted member 318910

Because when the writers decided that pikachu would be more fitting than Clefairy. I agree with them.

EliJolesy

My little cousins watched me play Pokemon and they kept going on about Pikachu, but when I asked them if they anything about Pokemon they said they know Pikachu is really strong on the TV show. That's all they know.

Plus they advertise Pikachu like crazy.

xDWarrior

Because Pikachu is the best Pokemon ever.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I suppose because the Pikachu depicted in the Anime has every small element of what makes the concept of Pokemon appealing. Pikachu was a pet, but also a friend; he could hang on Ash's shoulder and always be there, which was one of the factors that helped Pikachu's popularity, in my opinion; Pikachu needed to be saved in some episodes, but also was strong. He's exuberant, energetic, spunky, and perky. Kind of the perfect depiction of a fun-loving pet you could imagine yourself having. The elements in Pikachu's character portray what makes Pokemon so fun: catching and befriending these extraordinary companions to share adventures with.

-Nator-

Besides it being popular in the manga/TV show, can anyone really tell me why it seems to be the go-to Pokemon mascot? From a trainer's viewpoint, its stats are sub par (even Raichu isn't that much better)and if cuteness sells, I can list at least 10 more who are cuter and have better stats.

It's not all about stats, especially if we're talking back in the day where people played Pokemon more out of fun than they did competitively.
As far as "cuteness", that's all based on opinion. Pikachu was simply chosen because of its flashy appearance and ability to easily appeal to children, both male and female.
If they were to go with a Pokemon like Clefairy, it wouldn't work out. The color in itself would only appeal to females. Even if it were a different color, it would still be a fairy. Tell me what gender demographic fairies appeal to.
Lastly, Normal types are just bland. I'd much prefer an Electric type.

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
Probably because of the anime.
I personally think that Charizard should've been the franchise mascot, but that's just me.

Blood Red Absol

AquaMilotic's Waifu
Probably because of the anime.
I personally think that Charizard should've been the franchise mascot, but that's just me.

No, should be Bulbasaur because it is #001 <3

I imagine everyone has there preferences. Personally I would love to see Absol representing pokemon but I don't think anyone sees that happening.

Zachmac

Actually didn't Walt Disney ask for a pay raise and when they denied him that, they took the rights to Oswald the Rabbit? I remember that happening sometime. And Walt Disney came up with the Mickey Mouse character on the train ride back home so that his brother wouldn't be disappointed.
Oh, I guess I was misinformed.

Actually, it's the opposite now. It's so famous because it's the mascot. And now that it's so iconic like you said, it's also to late to turn around.

Recon

I agree with the androgyny perspective here. If you are decorating a baby's room and you don't know the sex yet, you choose yellow because that is seen as intermediary color choice for both genders. Not to mention a lot of creators of Japanese animation grew up being influenced by Walt Disney, their main character being a mouse as well.

I also look at it from a marketing perspective as well, your mascot should never change in its appearance. So when you give the main character of your show, a creature that evolves when it hits a certain level, your image has to change as well. By giving Ash a Pikachu, it allows him to maintain his innocence as a young child, it creates situational dilemmas where he must overcome obstacles in a certain fashion. Think about it, if his main pokemon was a Charizard, and he brought Charizard into every battle with him, Ash would be seen as a powerful mature individual who could just throw Charizard out and demolish trainers. Where as how many times do we see Pikachu struggle against a trainer or gym leader, increase his strength through some situation and come back for a re-match. Finally, Pikachu only evolves when you use a Thunder stone, way back when Ash fought Lt. Surge we saw how his Raichu had changed through being evolved, not just appearance wise but personality wise as well. How do you ensure that your mascot stays the same throughout? Choose one that does not change when it reaches a certain level, and choose one that evolves by the trainer's choice rather than any other way.

I completely agree with this. Out of all the stone-evolving Pokemon of gen one, the contest would have been between Clefairy, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu as the most appealing and marketable. Unlike Pikachu, those two were pink and mainly would appeal to females, unlike the androgynous Pikachu yellow. They did have somewhat relevant uses in the anime eventually. Jigglypuff did become a reoccurring gag character after a while, while Clefairy became the posterchild for the "Pokemon are aliens" theory before Deoxys came along.

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
I loved Pikachu from the very start, he made just as big of a impression on me as eevee did. and if you think about...Pikachu is a mouse. What is the symbol of disney? Mickey MOUSE. who is the cute and lovible one of tom and jerry? Jerry the MOUSE! more then just the color, people LOVE cute, lovible mice characters. Bugs Bunny is the only appection to this rule.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I completely agree with this. Out of all the stone-evolving Pokemon of gen one, the contest would have been between Clefairy, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu as the most appealing and marketable. Unlike Pikachu, those two were pink and mainly would appeal to females, unlike the androgynous Pikachu yellow. They did have somewhat relevant uses in the anime eventually. Jigglypuff did become a reoccurring gag character after a while, while Clefairy became the posterchild for the "Pokemon are aliens" theory before Deoxys came along.

Don't forget Eevee. Eevee would have been my second choice as Pokemon Mascot. He also evolves through stones, though perhaps Electric types are theoretically and abstractly seen as more powerful than Normal types.

WildHennaCharizard

Pikachu is the mascot because in the beganing of the anime Nintendo had a poll for the most Popualr Poke at the time,(to be given to Ash of course so he would not chosse one of the Kanto starters; so who ever chosse Bulbasuar,Charmander or squitle would not feel left out.) Clifairy was leading in the polls but at the last mintute Pikachu pulled ahead and won! Pikachu became the mascot and the rest is history.