• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can anyone explain WHY Pikachu is the go-to mascot?

gamer_legend

Also going some way as to explaining how Red ended up with a Clifairy.

Bubble Beam

Bubble Buddy!
Because he was more popular to boys and girls than cleffairy since Cleffairy was a bit girlish? I dunno D:
I honestly love Pikachu, basically because I watched the anime first and I use to get anything with pikachu on it.

gamer_legend

Because he was more popular to boys and girls than cleffairy since Cleffairy was a bit girlish? I dunno D:
I honestly love Pikachu, basically because I watched the anime first and I use to get anything with pikachu on it.

It's funny because in primary school everyones favourite was Charizard. It looked like an absolutely beast designed for the soul purpose of destroying helicopters and then there were the Pokemon Cards (Which absolutely no-one knew how to use) Charizard 120HP and 100 Damage. =D Now those are the days I remember.

Bubble Beam

Bubble Buddy!
It's funny because in primary school everyones favourite was Charizard. It looked like an absolutely beast designed for the soul purpose of destroying helicopters and then there were the Pokemon Cards (Which absolutely no-one knew how to use) Charizard 120HP and 100 Damage. =D Now those are the days I remember.

I remember those days, Charazard was the favourite of almost everyone, I also remember having a giant plushie of him :p

EliJolesy

Don't forget Eevee. Eevee would have been my second choice as Pokemon Mascot. He also evolves through stones, though perhaps Electric types are theoretically and abstractly seen as more powerful than Normal types.

Maybe that's why Gary got Eevee. Eevee is a little bit of a neutral character too. Except his Eevee evolved... Without a stone though so that's curious.

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
Definitely a better choice than Clefairy, and children love it as well. Gender neutral (marketing perspective, not literal), cute looks and personality, and stood out from the basic starters at the time. Sure, it still stands out a bit now but after so many years Pikachu has melded into the starter category for many anime fans and even some gamers as well.

FrozenConstellation

There for grace I go
The orginal choice was clefairy, but since Pikachu gained more attention and was more appealing to guys and girls, they changed it. They were not looking at stats while choosing a mascot, they chose one that would catch people's eyes.

Kubla Khan

not to mention that Pikachu's elemental type is more iconic than Clefairy. imagine you're explaining the game to someone completely unfamiliar to the series. How would you describe it? "oh yeah, it's about monsters with superpowers!" so then they would see Clefairy and be "what's that thing's superpower?" and you would be "uhh... it's a normal type superpower-ish?"

but with pikachu, you're like "he shoots thunderbolts! like Zeus, only in little mouse form!" makes it sound more awesome.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
Pikachu is a cute little rodent which is great for kids, the target audience. He's got lightning superpowers which will interest some people. Pikachu's also a bit powerful (but there are far better choices) so he kinda suits the role. Also, if Charizard or Aggron was the mascot then I doubt people will wanna play carnival games where they win an Aggron plush. I know I wouldn't..

Shinx should have been the mascot

Kanashii

Eevee Trainer
Eevee should be the go-to cover pokemon. It is the most adorable and has the best coverage because it can evolve into a variety of types.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Besides it being popular in the manga/TV show, can anyone really tell me why it seems to be the go-to Pokemon mascot? From a trainer's viewpoint, its stats are sub par (even Raichu isn't that much better)and if cuteness sells, I can list at least 10 more who are cuter and have better stats.
You'd rather have Clafairy!? Cause she was originally going to be the mascot but they decided she was to girly so they used Pikachu.

ludiloco

Cuz it appeared since the begining of the anime, then Yellow Version happened and it can't be replaced anymore.

Bluemiracle

Biologist
probably because its the baby from the most popular pokemon ever - pikachu

Last edited:

Pokeminem

Gary Oak Fan
Eevee should be the go-to cover pokemon. It is the most adorable and has the best coverage because it can evolve into a variety of types.

Agree its cute, can evolve into a strong Pokemon, and heck guys and gals use it

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
While I can see Eevee having its merits, I still think you have to deal with too many choices. You would either deal with an Eevee who had evolved too early on and have been limited to Jolteon, Vaporeon and Flareon, or an Eevee who had made it through the Kanto and Orange Islands leagues without ever evolving in order to allow it to evolve into Espeon or Umbreon. We didn't see Gary's Eevee until the Orange Islands series (at the time Yellow had come out, it had not been confirmed that his anime counterpart did in fact have an Eevee)
If you want to go by video game standards, if you follow the theory of Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Clefairy, you can tell that if they were to be the mascots it would make sense. All three are available very early on and are fairly easy to obtain. Eevee was a special pokemon, you received only once when you were about half way through the game.

Following anime logic, if you gave Ash an Eevee to start with, his choices were water, fire and electric, but obviously the show's writers wanted to show all three starters for the region, so if you gave him Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, his Eevee would not be able to evolve into Flareon or Vaporeon since he would already have a water and fire pokemon on the team. So he would more than likely evolve into Jolteon (always seen as the strongest out of those three). You would be trading an electric type for an electric type. I would say that a Jolteon would be quite preferable to Pikachu.

Jaguartail

Simply because it's the most prevalent pokemon in the anime and is highly advertised and promoted by Nintendo.

There is actually a season 1 episode with Pikachu as the answer to "Who's that Pokemon?". The clue is "This is everyone's favorite pokemon". Pikachu isn't my favorite pokemon, Alakazam is my favorite gen 1 pokemon, Starraptor is favorite overall. But it seems like Nintendo, at least at time, felt that Pikachu should be without question the best to every pokemon player, no matter what.