• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can Ash survive on his own adventures without Pikachu with him?

horrahforyou

Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life
I know that the two of them are the face of the Anime, and they were the best of friends. If in case a new region came out after Journeys, what if Ash decided to leave Pikachu along with his Oaked Pokemon? Like giving him a break after years of traveling alongside with him. Then Ash can catch a new set of Pokes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Satoshi would never leave Pikachu behind, and I don't think Pikachu would want to be left behind either. The writers wouldn't sacrifice Pikachu's marketability anyway, so it would never occur to them to have Satoshi start a journey without Pikachu to begin with.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mew29240 said:
I think the absolute most they could get away with is an arc where the Ash and Pikachu are separated for one reason or another. They're too intertwined in and out of the anime's universe for one to go forward without the other.

I think that the most they could go without seeing each other is a few episodes like we saw at the very start of Shinou when Pikachu got separated from Satoshi at the end of DP001, and reunited with him in DP003.

Mew29240

I think that the most they could go without seeing each other is a few episodes like we saw at the very start of Shinou when Pikachu got separated from Satoshi at the end of DP001, and reunited with him in DP003.

True, but I feel that they could get away with a ~5-10 mini-arc with Ash and Pikachu getting separated, provided the scenario isn't too contrived. They could pull something like what happened with Pikachu getting "kidnapped" by Mew in the M08, except in the anime with Ash searching for him.

Red and Blue

Imagine if Ash replaced Pikachu with Eevee for a region :p

Seriously though I doubt it. Pikachu always wants to be with Ash and would never stand for being Oaked.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
As long as he gets Chespin by his side, he'll be even better *-*

Jokes apart, we are way too far into Ash's story for such thing to even be considered. But assuming the very unlikely sceneario a demand like that surges, I can see Ash doing fine. Though in part it might not feel the same after so many years of seeing Pikachu with him.

Funny thing is that I kind of thought of doing a fanfic about that subject but I'm too lazy lol

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Plot-wise probably but market-wise no, because Pikachu is the face of the franchise, more than Ash himself. The main anime would crash without the Pokemon and numerous fans would yearn for its return.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I mean I love the idea that the OP had of Ash leaving Pikachu behind and doing his own thing but let's be real it won't happen.

And then I think that even if it did happen would it be that great of a change? Ash without Pikachu would seem cool for a little while but then the rest of the show's formula would kick in and we'd be back to square one.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
On character wise? I think yes.
It wouldn't be any different from when Charizard, Squirtle and Bulbasaur left his team. Ash would be sad and stuff but he'd still move forward. Ash's greatest bond is with ALL Pokemon and the chance to meet and bond w/them.

Now if we are talking just for the sake of the show and audience then I'd say no. I strongly doubt that they'd have them drift apart. As stated above Pikachu is the face of the franchise.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kuzehiko said:
On character wise? I think yes.
It wouldn't be any different from when Charizard, Squirtle and Bulbasaur left his team. Ash would be sad and stuff but he'd still move forward. Ash's greatest bond is with ALL Pokemon and the chance to meet and bond w/them.

I disagree completely since it's evident that he has a stronger bond with Pikachu than he does with any of his other Pokemon. They've been together practically 24/7 for the entire series [minus the few times when Pikachu got lost or was stolen by the Rocket-dan, which are negligible in the grand scheme of things].

RetroPokeFan

As far as I'm concerned, something about just seeing Ash without Pikachu for like an entire saga of three or four seasons or longer would just feel...

wrong. :(

Sure, they could get away with it by having a few episodes or maybe an entire arc where Pikachu gets separated from Ash leaving him all alone with no one to help out and has to go on a journey in order to escape the baddies and reunite with Ash again but these two to me are like the ultimate partners (ignoring yesterday's episode), the cherry on top that keeps the cake afloat. If one is there but the other isn't, what's the point in even watching?

And even then as Ubermuk said, it's not like it would turn the anime upside down forever because Ash would be doing the exact same things he normally does, just without Pikachu (and maybe mentioning him a few times).

Last edited:

SatoSereFan224888

I think he should be able to. He’s got a few Pokémon stronger than Pikachu being kept so I think he would do well without Pikachu. Maybe he needs to realize he needs to rely a LOT less on Pikachu to get him out of situations.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Judging by the first post, the OP was asking if Satoshi could travel without Pikachu in the next series, as in for a whole saga not just for a few episodes.

Yup.

We all know both Ash and Pikachu can live very well without each other. The "survive" in the title refers more to a series where they are apart and Ash is "Pikachu-less"