1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

can I do this?

Discussion in 'Technology Help' started by salamence373, Dec 28, 2005.

1. salamence373

salamence373 Guest

My system, Windows 98, needs to be reinstalled and my aunt has a disk for me, but she said my uncle has XP. if my uncle has the XP disk, can I uninstall 98 and install XP. I know you can, but my system has been 98 since it was built by Microsoft, so I'm making sure I can install XP on my operating system.

Thank You.

2. ricocheting

ricocheting Noob Trainer Admin

several things:
    1) using the same windows license/key on more than one machine is illegal. there are no exceptions to that rule

2) depending on what brand of computer your uncle has, when you install XP it has to be activated with microsoft and if you stick it on a second machine, when that second machine goes and tries to activate, it'll say "hey, this is already registered to another machine" and XP will stop working

3) probably a machine that came with Win98 would run XP so slow it's not worth putting on. generally win98 machines would have to have RAM added (and sometimes other stuff too) before they'll run XP and even then XP runs insanely slow on older machines.