• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can I skip the DP/PT arc?

GameX

Hello =)

I have read Pokespe up to Volume 29, the last Pokémon game I played being Emerald. Was never too much into DP as I never owned a NDS anyway. I've been buying all the VIZ boxset recently (Also have Volume 7 Chuang Yi edition but that's all. As I noticed, the Chuang Yi became impossible to find now, I guess they all sold out because they're uncensored haha), minus the DP/PT boxset.

I never played DP and so don't know anything much about Gen IV. Would that be an interesting read at all or would I miss out if I skip it (Could be interesting in a way that I won't know what to expect at all, as I never played the games. I'm worried I won't understand much from the story) ?

Very much interested (And want to read) HG/SS volumes since we hear back from Gold and the others and Lance too I believe (No spoilers pls =P ) =O If I skip DP/PT, will I still be able to follow the story (For instance, GSC and RS are both different stories) ?

Should I still spend money on the boxset as someone who never played the game, for a complete experience?

Eventually, might be interested in OR/AS for the same reasons but it doesn't sound feasible by skipping TWO arcs. If I had a Switch maybe I would have loved to try Let's Go (Sadly a Pokespe arc, I don't see that happenning much, well I agree with the other opinions I've read).

Appreciate your feedback,

iml908

Light spoilers ahead:

The main characters of the DPPt arcs make cameos in some of the later arcs, but do not appear in any substantial manor. Two other characters introduced in these arcs show up at the end of HGSS, and the less I say about that reveal the better. One character introduced in the Platinum arc does become a major character in the Generation 5 arcs, but I can't remember if any events in the Generation 4 arcs are mentioned.

I would highly recommend the Diamond and Pearl arc though, for it's tighter focus on the relationship between the main characters and expansion of the games plot.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
DPPt is a great story in my opinion and there are even some callbacks to it in future arcs, like the SM arc lore-wise. It is skippable but I still recommend checking it out.

Remmie

Doesn't mean because you didn't play the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum games means you should skip their manga arc, they were pretty nice and the protagonists were a nice change of dynamics compared to the previous generations of dex holders. You would enjoy them.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
I read the manga before playing the games, and I still loved DP/Pt. It’s a really great story with a wonderful dynamic between the characters. Highly recommend.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
There's not that much continuity between generations only involving post-gen 3 ones, but still dp/pt/hgss are still worth a read. Don't worry about not understanding things, everything is well introduced in the manga itself

GameX

Thank you for all this feedbac! =)
I will have a look, just need to save up for that boxset eventually, apparently Amazon bumped all the boxset prices drastically (?), on Amazon.ca at least, not sure on .com . Good thing I bought them before the price jump lol

LordSerperior

I was in the same boat as you. Skipped the Sinnoh games and really did not feel like reading the arc. I did end up reading it and honestly it is one of my least favourite arcs. It has some interesting stuff and stuff that connects it to the other arcs but you wouldn't miss out on anything by skipping it.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
To me the story of Dppt is rare friendship between two commen kids with highly richest kid and they going on Pokemon journey! That best Pokemon special manga story next to GSC arc and lack of reference to the Event from other arc actually do help story stand on own (note that i hate Pokédex/Zunkan as plot point in the manga that kids that represents the game even more "Special" and i still hate it in Dppt arc but it don't breaked the story for me )