• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can Money Buy Love?

can money buy love?

• Yes

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 36.9%
  • money is important but it's not the only thing that matters

Votes: 40 38.8%

• Total voters

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
@Silent Memento: Your first sentence, that's lust and acting your reffering to (people often confuse love and lust).
For idiots, yes, money does 'buy love', but for normal peoples love is based not on paychecks (though that may be an attractive piece, it isn't love for that person) but on the people themselves.

Money buys objects and services. Love and saying "Omg I love you" are two totally different things. Money worsens addictions, hardens greediness, can completely corrupt a person. Sure you can buy the chick/guy some crappy gifts, or an expensive watch or phone or something, but objects can't bring you love and happiness.

Last edited:

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
Money cannot buy love, but it can buy lust.

However, money can prove someones worth in the world and success and that COULD attract others in terms of respect and love. But using money to buy love, no, not possible.

Love is emotional and money is material used to buy other material objects. Sure you can use money to buy a gift, but the heart and thought behind the gift is what makes a person respond.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
For me love is a feeling one person has for another, and no amount of money can change the way that person feels.

Money can make someone pretend to love, or force themselves to try and love. But i think in terms of actual love, you cant help who you love.

though there are different types of love. You can 'love' the taste of something. or you can be in 'love'. its the same word, but doesn't necessarily mean the same.

In short. No

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
What is love, does it even exists? Commitment, truth, honesty to another, sharing, sacrifice for another, does that even exist anymore? Well I know one thing, food, water, entertainment things, objects, materialistic desires do exist and only Money can buy them. You can live without love no problem, many tyrants in history did, but you sure as hell can't live without Money.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
As much as money is great and important to me - I would love to be rich - I do not think that I could love anyone because they have lots of money. And I would not want to be loved if I did have a lot of money. I have yet to "be in love" but I do not think that any ammount of money that someone had would ever make me fall in love.

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
@Silent Memento: Your first sentence, that's lust and acting your reffering to (people often confuse love and lust).
For idiots, yes, money does 'buy love', but for normal peoples love is based not on paychecks (though that may be an attractive piece, it isn't love for that person) but on the people themselves.

Would most normal people marry someone poorer than themselves? There's a reason why castes still exist, albeit on a smaller scale than they were many years ago. Upper-class marries upper-class, middle-class marries middle-class, etc.

In my opinion, love and lust have blended together to become one and the same over the years. Divorces as a whole just makes that opinion stronger.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
No Silent, Love and Lust are seperate and have never blended, it's just people have more freedom to do what they want, you can now leave your partner and not be barraged with guilt and shame from society, so people now experiment more. Anyway many people marry lovers 'poorer' than themselves, just because you think something happens and because it happens in your little society, dosn't make it the global standard.

Yellow Aura

Light of Hope
You're both right in your our ways. Silent Memento, it's true greed and corruption has become part of, or started, some relationships, and some are fueled by others personal belongings, amognst other things. Vermehlo, it's also true that love in it's definition has nothing to do with possesions, or anything material.
But once again, the question of this thread is: Can Money Buy Love?
The answer: No
But affection, and stuff like that, including hapiness, yes it sadly can.
Even though money is the root of all evil, and the world would be a much better place without it, our world is fuled by it. Hopefully that will change one day.

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
And what do people ask for the minute they divorce, Vermehlo? Money.

You're right. Money doesn't buy true love, but true love doesn't really exist anymore. What, with all the divorces, the domestic abusing, and cheating...lust is really all that exists nowadays. Lust is scarily similar to love, but the principles are radically different. Both are powerful emotions that can utterly control a person, distort reason and logic, and leave them as broken individuals.

It may be just me, but I haven't seen one place where the middle-class, under-class, and upper-class mingle freely. People are more comfortable talking around others who are similar to them. The lone exception I see are the rare athletes who marry their childhood sweethearts, and they hardly count as normal people. If not for the celebrity status, the childhood sweetheart would probably marry someone else.

Money may not buy all of love/lust, but it happens to be a huge factor, possibly bigger than any other factor there is.

Yellow Aura

Light of Hope
Ah yes, it seems from that post that all hope in the world is lost...
Rest assured, there is still some real love out there, even in the U.S.
But sadly, you're pretty much right.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
"What, with all the divorces, the domestic abusing, and cheating" = Always been that way.

"lust is really all that exists nowadays" = No, people still do fall in love, maybe because you haven't you think differently, or perhaps your cynical, but people still fall and stay in love.

"Money may not buy all of love/lust, but it happens to be a huge factor, possibly bigger than any other factor there is. " = Not really, personality, humour, spirit, apperance (sadly) shared likes/dislikes, the differances and similarites, power (not neccessarily money) and the desire for the Forbidden Fruit or what others want and more are all more powerful factors in love than money, unless your a Gold-digger.

Yellow Aura

Light of Hope
Not really, personality, humour, spirit, apperance (sadly) shared likes/dislikes, the differances and similarites, power (not neccessarily money) and the desire for the Forbidden Fruit or what others want and more are all more powerful factors in love than money, unless your a Gold-digger.

Maybe with true love, but plenty of people get married over money, or at that, appearances and power. LOTS of power.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Haven't you ever listend to The Beatles?

I say due to the fact that marriage is now, and has been for quite some time a political issue linked with trade, having more money may make you an attractive suitor indeed, but it can't buy love for sure. People loved for money will be given the cold shoulder the instant their money pouch runs dry.

And Ethan makes an excellent point about celebrity marriages.

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
"What, with all the divorces, the domestic abusing, and cheating" = Always been that way.

"lust is really all that exists nowadays" = No, people still do fall in love, maybe because you haven't you think differently, or perhaps your cynical, but people still fall and stay in love.

"Money may not buy all of love/lust, but it happens to be a huge factor, possibly bigger than any other factor there is. " = Not really, personality, humour, spirit, apperance (sadly) shared likes/dislikes, the differances and similarites, power (not neccessarily money) and the desire for the Forbidden Fruit or what others want and more are all more powerful factors in love than money, unless your a Gold-digger.

Most "relationships" way back when consisted of the men choosing who they wanted to marry or the child marriages that purposely joined two families together. Now it consists of divorces and money-grabbing. Is that love? Is it?

Yes, I am a cynical, pessimistic *******. There's something we can both agree on, eh?

People have always gone for the most valuable things and the currency that comes with them. What was originally metal became silks and spices, which in turn became oil and natural gases. Money is the only thing that ties them all together. For instance, why do we buy rings made of precious jewels instead of showing love in another way? Surely we could think of more thoughtful ways to show our devotion?

Power is money and vice versa. The most powerful men on the planet are often the richest.

Most "relationships" way back when consisted of the men choosing who they wanted to marry or the child marriages that purposely joined two families together. Now it consists of divorces and money-grabbing. Is that love? Is it?
50% of all marriages end in divorce, Mento. I think of that 50%, 85% end badly.

Yes, I am a cynical, pessimistic *******. There's something we can both agree on, eh

People have always gone for the most valuable things and the currency that comes with them. What was originally metal became silks and spices, which in turn became oil and natural gases. Money is the only thing that ties them all together. For instance, why do we buy rings made of precious jewels instead of showing love in another way? Surely we could think of more thoughtful ways to show our devotion?
Yeah, and we do, but rings are a sort of way to show it to people at first glance.

Power is money and vice versa. The most powerful men on the planet are often the richest.
Power =/= Love. I don't see Kim Jong Il professing his love for his wife too often.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
People do fall out of love you know. That's how most divorces end. A busy life of nothing but working a career and looking after the children leaves no energy and time for that Special Someone. Husbands and wives don't feel appreciated and loved any more, so they leave. Plus some mistake lust for love, rush into marriage at 20 and three years later, divorce. And I don't belive Stalin, Hitler and Mao were too lucky in love actually. Stalin was tortured and emotionally ravaged and poisoned every emotional well he had. His two marriages ended in death. One sickness and the other suicide.

Last edited:

Viridian's Yellow

Mmm~♪ Hmm~♪
it depends on who's love we are talking about.it not gonna buy my love

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
People do fall out of love you know. That's how most divorces end. A busy life of nothing but working a career and looking after the children leaves no energy and time for that Special Someone. Husbands and wives don't feel appreciated and loved any more, so they leave. Plus some mistake lust for love, rush into marriage at 20 and three years later, divorce. And I don't belive Stalin, Hitler and Mao were too lucky in love actually. Stalin was tortured and emotionally ravaged and poisoned every emotional well he had. His two marriages ended in death. One sickness and the other suicide.

I feel that true love is when a person stays with their significant other, through better or worse, like the minister so often says when the couple take their vows. The only reason I would advocate divorce is if the person you're married to is cruel and abusive, and that's still lust on the abuser's part.

Still, Stalin and Hitler got wives. Stalin got two. Both of them were powerful heads of state, but they had no redeeming qualities in their personality or looks. So, why even marry them if not for power, money, and fame?

nintendude 64

Dropped my balls!
Sure, money can buy love. That is, if the person that loves you is a whore.