• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

can pokemon be classified by more than type?

pialga93

My friend says if I make a bug or dragon team I cannot put any pokemon that are not classified as that type. Example: A bug team cannot have pokemon like Drapion, gliscor, or flygon. Or a dragon team cannot have Aerodactyl, Gyarados,Charizard, or Tyranitar. What do you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on what your friend is referring to. If you're building a mono-TYPE team, then you should only be permitted to use Pokemon of that same type.

However, if you were building a themed team... such as "Bug-like" or "Dragon-like" Pokemon, then you should feel free to include Pokemon that would fill those definitions, but not necessarily share types.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
What SapphireL said.

A mono-type team and a themed team are completely different. If your goal is to use only a single type, you should. If you're just going on appearance, anything that fits the description should work.

cocoa_adele

cant pokemon also be classified by body shape and the way they walk?
aside from elements

It really depends on what your friend is referring to. If you're building a mono-TYPE team, then you should only be permitted to use Pokemon of that same type.

However, if you were building a themed team... such as "Bug-like" or "Dragon-like" Pokemon, then you should feel free to include Pokemon that would fill those definitions, but not necessarily share types.

SL is completely right. If It's a MonoType challange, then you can only use Pokemon of that type, and HMSLaves. If its a theme, than go ahead. For example, Lance from LeafGreen, is a Dragon trainer. But he uses Aerodactyl(Rock-Flying) and Gyarados(Water-Flying), in his team. Also, one Gym trainer in Wattson(electric type)'s gym has all bug types, both with shock wave.

pialga93

well thank you, what I was trying to tell my friend is bug and dragon "themes" are different from actuallual "type" teams like ground, or water

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
SL is completely right. If It's a MonoType challange, then you can only use Pokemon of that type, and HMSLaves. If its a theme, than go ahead. For example, Lance from LeafGreen, is a Dragon trainer. But he uses Aerodactyl(Rock-Flying) and Gyarados(Water-Flying), in his team. Also, one Gym trainer in Wattson(electric type)'s gym has all bug types, both with shock wave.

Just to add to the Wattson thing, there is also a Zigzagoon that knows Thunderbolt.

PDL

disenchanted
Pokémon can be classed in a myriad of ways. I actually think that egg groups need to be more recognized as a viable way of classing Pokémon.

Gliscor, Drapion and Flygon may not be bug types, but they are in the Bug egg group, meaning that they can breed with other Bug Pokémon. Mono-Egg group themed Pokémon could be harder to deal with then a Mono-type team infact.

Take into account that each Pokémon family has it's own unique stat allocation, and you can see that each family is unique in a certain way. Gardevoir and Alakazam are often compared to one another simply because they are both pure psychic types, yet each play different roles and belong to different egg groups.

Last edited:

SupremeJudicator

Still gotta catch 'em all!
Just out of curiosity, are there also mono-type moveset (only moves of a certain type can be learned) challenges? I realize that this would be incredibly hard, but has anyone ever done it?

;193;

If you're talking about type, even though the rest wouldn't fit, I'd still include Drapion as Bug, since it evolves from a Bug-type. But that's just me. I say do whatever the heck you want, though, it's your team. :)

;469;​

...Gligar's not a bug type....

But I think that Flygon would count for both.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I always used Flygon on my Bug themed teams, being as it has bugy charecteristics.(<- you never realize how long and easy to mispell that word is till you type it)

Terry_555

In pokemon Fr/Lg Sabrina, the Psychic Gym leader, has a Venomoth on her team but i t knows moves like Psychic

Shiny pokemon lower

When you start, just do like you want yourself. Its your time at the game!

But yes, pokemon can be classified by more than type after what I think.
I think evry pokemon who looks like f.ex dragoons can count as dragons, typed or not.

Mankanshoku Mako

Lets look at D/P's Volkner and Flint. They had pokemon that didn't resemble their types or apperences. They had electric and fire type moves. Course this changed in platinum cause of the new additions the the pokedex.

Golde

Always Searching~
It depends on your opinion. Technically, no, but look at Lance, he had Gyrados, Aaron had a Drapion.

So yeah. W/e. Your decision.