1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Can the oppressed be racist to the oppressors?

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by AshxSatoshi, Jan 5, 2020.

1. MotostokeOnTrent

MotostokeOnTrent PokéJungle writer

I think antisemitism became a topic last time around because it highlights some of the issues that arise when you try to export 'whiteness' as a concept outside of the US. Many Jews have white skin and are generally highly-educated, with higher-than-average earnings and good jobs - factors that seem to be associated with 'whiteness' - but they remain one of the most persecuted groups on the planet. What was perhaps the worst event in human history was inflicted on a broadly-successful group of white people (regardless of whether they were religious practitioners or not), which suggests 'whiteness' analysis looks pretty ropey outside of a US context.

Not strictly speaking, no, but prejudice against people from Muslim-majority countries or cultures is very clearly a thing (which also speaks to how closely Islam is tied to cultural identity and systems of government). 'Islamophobia' might not be a perfect word given how it's entirely legitimate to be afraid of the tenets of just about any religion (especially Islam) but we all know what the word really means well enough that it's perfectly functional.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. Auraninja

Auraninja Gre-nin-ja!

I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say.

To quote myself in another thread: