• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can we now say Mijumaru is Piplup redux

Fa7e

if it doesnt evolve i wont have a problem, just hopefully it will be as good as squirtle an bulbasaur. it seems like the type for ash to

Last edited:

Teshub

Banned
And I don't think it'll be unevolved like Piplup either. Piplup was the second mascot, we already have Kibago for that.

Kibago will definitely have to evolve because his final evolution is what Iris has in the games. On the other hand, Miju has more of the makings of a secondary mascot. And I don't except it to evolve, or just reach it's first evolution but not the final one.

Daikenki would complete that warrior starter trio.

Sounds nice on paper, but in practice there are other factors to consider. Sceptile and Infernape were fast, hard hitting pokemon.

Daikenki is more of a slower, walling type pokemon.

^ Who's to say Daikenki is as slow as some people think it would be. It's less bulky and round than say Emboar. Just because it's a quadruped, doesn't mean it will be a slow wall. It's actually supposed to be an attacking type of pokemon. It was even said in an interview that it's supposed to be a samurai/sea lion pokemon.

Heck, I think it has been implied that Daikenki could stand on its two feet sometimes since one of its arms is a sword (again that samurai reference).

And Iris has Kibago's second evolution and Ononokuso. She can just not evolve the Kibago she has now and possibly use another Ononokuso some how. Also, we don't know if it's Iris battling Ash as the gym leader, or Shaga. If it's Shaga, Iris is free to have whatever pokemon.

Since Mijumaru is Araragi's, maybe (and hopefully) it sorta means that Mijumaru is Ash's main starter (and his main starter usually evolves).

No offense, but I don't know why you're persistent in thinking that Miju will be like Piplup while Pokabu will be like Chimchar. Wouldn't you want to see something new where the water starter is the more dominant starter this time around?

Last edited:

Rowdy

My personal belief is, based on observations of the past storylines, Ash will get the water type starter and it will evolve all the way eventually (not necessarily during BW's arc), he might get the fire type starter but it won't evolve, and he won't get the grass type.

The reason for the water starter's evolution is because except for Krabby, he's never had a water type evolve, so he's due.

The maybe for the fire type is because he's gotten three of the five and there are other fire types in Ishhu worth getting. And an unlikely evo because he has Infernape filling the fire/fighting type already, so another isn't really needed.

And no to the grass start because he's had all the previous ones, so not getting the Ishhu grass starter would be a fresh idea for the.

Teshub

Banned
The reason for the water starter's evolution is because except for Krabby, he's never had a water type evolve, so he's due.

Ash is due for a victory at an official league but that is not happening anytime soon, or maybe ever.

The reason the writers did not want Piplup to evolve was because they felt it was cuter without evolving. There are no more contests but they still need to appeal to girls somehow, so maybe Mijumaru is going to be the cute pokemon who is still powerful w/o evolving, ala Pikachu.

I like the fact that it's been pulling a Jigglypuff during the two episodes since Jigglypuff tends to stalk Ash and company even during the To Be Continue scenes back in the earlier seasons. Now, it's Mijimaru's turn...until next week.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
It's a bit too early to tell for sure whether Mijumaru will be more like Piplup than any other Pokemon. I'd like to believe that it'll take time to analyze it's personality traits and then make an accurate conclusion as to whether the writers have given Mijumaru a Piplup-esque personality. I don't really think it will be like Piplup but I could be wrong...

Ash is due for a victory at an official league but that is not happening anytime soon, or maybe ever.

The reason the writers did not want Piplup to evolve was because they felt it was cuter without evolving. There are no more contests but they still need to appeal to girls somehow, so maybe Mijumaru is going to be the cute pokemon who is still powerful w/o evolving, ala Pikachu.

Ash is not going to be the one appealing to girls with his pokemon. And if any pokemon would need to be cute on his team (when it's not even necessary), Pokabu would be a better option imo.

Piplup didn't evolve because its evos were ugly for contests. Ash isn't doing contests and Mijumaru's evos look killer anyway.

There really isn't a reason (at least a good one) for it to not evolve.

Gunner

I hope not, Piplup was annoying and made D/P near unwatchable for me. Thank goodness for fast forward.

Charizard/Sceptile/Infernape and Torterra means that at some point we need a fully evolved water starter.

Teshub

Banned
Ash is not going to be the one appealing to girls with his pokemon.

Pikachu? Totodile?

And if any pokemon would need to be cute on his team (when it's not even necessary), Pokabu would be a better option imo.

Pokabu is the infernape of his gen.

Piplup didn't evolve because its evos were ugly for contests.

That's what a writer said in an interview.

There really isn't a reason (at least a good one) for it to not evolve.

Your reasons are not the ones used by the writers.

Elxar

Miju is cute and probably stay on its basic form at least after the third gym. If it evolves we get a cool Pokemon so no complaints either way.

dman_dustin

Mijumaru is definitely not Piplup 2.0

First off their stories are completely different. Sure they may be Professor Pokemon, but Dawn chose Piplup at the end of DP001, while here with Mijumaru Ash isn't catching it until BW003.

Second, Mijumaru seems to have bonded with Ash for no apparent reason (other than it's Mijumaru's personality to care about humans). Piplup bonded with Dawn because Dawn risked her life to save Piplup,

Third. They definitely have "different personalities" Mijumaru hiding and waiting until it is needed is very unlike Piplup, of course maybe Mijumaru isn't sure that it can go up and say "Hai" to Ash, at the very least it gives the writers a way to draw out its capture. And also Mijumaru has been shown to be badass. Piplup has never actually shown this at all. I cannot think for one moment where Piplup showed how badass it was. Unlike Mijumaru and the vs Yanappu scenes.

Fourth- It is very highly unlikely to be mascot status like Pikachu, Piplup, and Kibago, it might be in every episode (maybe), but it has a Poke ball and as we've seen it will stay there for a portion of time. After all we don't see it in some scenes at all. And it will evolve at least once if not all the way.

All we see right now is Mijumaru being introduced. Once Mijumaru is captured we will probably see less of it. Seriously I cannot see why anyone cannot see this. Mijumaru is shown like it is because it hasn't been captured yet. If anything Mijumaru is a lot like Aipom/Gible and any other Pokemon that followed Ash for more than an episode before being caught. That is all this is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit:

I wasn't aware that Shooti was a veteran trainer, abused Pokabu, and released it at a City's Double Battle Tournament where Ash adopted Pokabu. WOW you must be psychic or something.

Last edited:
Pikachu? Totodile?
Did they really? I personally didn't see them as appealing to the female audience. The writers left most of the Johto starters unevolved for the same reason they left most of the Kanto starters unevolved. At the time, there weren't a lot of evolutions in general, but the writers are dealing with evolutions a lot better this time around so they evolve more pokemon (while leaving one unevolved/not fully evolved).

I didn't know that Shooti abused Pokabu and released it. Didn't see Pokabu go crazy with Blaze either...yeah, Pokabu wishes it'd be the Infernape of this gen. I don't think the writers are going that route for the fire type. Sure I could be wrong but the writers haven't rehashed things between AG and DP. So why, when BW is supposed to a brand new start, would the writers resort to something we've seen last series. Hence why I think Pokabu could be the unevolved/not fully evolved starter if there is one.

Your reasons are not the ones used by the writers.
And yours? You've said that Dawn would be in BW but she's not. You're not a writer yourself.

My guess is as good as anyone's and I can totally be wrong, but in comparison to what you're saying about how things are gonna be like D/P in terms of Mijumaru and Pokabu's roles...at least the idea of Mijumaru being different than Piplup seems to be more likely. From the way the writers have done things, I don't think they're gonna do this water mascot thing twice in a row.

Last edited:

Teshub

Banned
The writers just don't think like you people do. They probably could care less which pokemon type is due for evolution. What they do care is what is good for promotion for little children.

I mean in OS/Johto we had Charizard, in AG we had Sceptile. So it made "sense" for Ash to have a fully evolved water starter in DP but that did not happen. Instead Dawn got Piplup because it was the cutest one (in their opinion). And the reason they thought it was cute was because they believed it would appeal to younger children. So face the facts, don't go into this crusade of pokemon type justice because it is simply foolish.

Teshub

Banned

CurseShooter

Pokeball Capture Pro
IMO it will just evolve to the 1st evolution. Not the final. Why? well because if you look at the 1st evolution it's kinda cute/cool/strong but if you're looking for a pokemon to appeal to the audience you already have Pikachu which hasn't ever evolved and never will.

terminoob

The Underdog
The writers just don't think like you people do.

And you think like a writer? Funny.

Mijumaru is getting "focus" because it's going to be Ash's first starter. Starters ALWAYS get focus. And Mijumaru doesn't even have that much of it.

Mijumaru was crestfallen when Shooti didn't choose it as his starter, meaning it's blatantly obvious that it's a proud Pokemon, like Piplup, right? Man, looks like Staravia already beat Mijumaru to the punch on being Piplup 2.0, considering he felt the same way when Ash didn't choose him to participate in Roark's gym.

Mijumaru followed Ash around and sprung into action when the time was right because it bonded with Ash and wanted to show itself off, like Piplup, right? Man, looks like Aipom was a Piplup 2.0 even BEFORE Piplup! And then Gible became Piplup 3.0!

I mean, everything Mijumaru does obviously makes it exactly like Piplup in every way possible, so why shouldn't we apply these situations to past Pokemon?

As for being "cute", I believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One person may think Kibago is "cute", another may think Mijumaru is. You can't flat out say "this is cute and will appeal to females while this isn't cute at all and won't appeal to anyone, period", it doesn't work like that. If females find Mijumaru to be cute, so be it; they can suck it up when it evolves. If females find Kibago cute, so be it; they can suck it up when it evolves. If females find someone ELSE [holy crap, you mean characters in Pokemon can catch OTHER Pokemon that the writers can then use as marketing devices instead of already captured Pokemon??! NO WAY! Yeah. They can do that. Don't stick to JUST Kibago and Mijumaru on this one, pal] to be cute, then so be it.

Teshub

Banned
Girls should just suck it up if Miju evolves? You sound extremely bigoted.

But what you have pretty much said was that Mijumaru is a derivative character that takes it personality from previous pokemon, including from Piplup. Essentially almost the same thing I said.