• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can we talk about how CREEPY Pokemon Dex Entires can be?

Lucariomen

Depressed Trainers - Zoroark's Shield entry reads:

Seeking to ease the burden of solitude, lonely Trainers tell Zoroark to show illusions to them.

While not as dark as psycho Duskull, it is enough to make you shiver. Literally ASKING for being trapped inside something that isn't real for the sake of feeling less lonely. This is literally Matrix all over again, but scary regardless.

Bird POV - Xatu's Ruby entry reads:

Xatu stands rooted and still in one spot all day long. People believe that this Pokémon does so out of fear of the terrible things it has foreseen in the future.

Imagine being a simple bird like Xatu, except that it has little offensive power but enough to see the future. Then you literally predict events like COVID, 9/11, the World Wars and you stand there, helpless, knowing you cannot do anything about it. It's downright terrifying.

Pokémon - Psychopath Edition - Duskull's Platinum entry reads:

It loves the crying of children. It startles bad kids by passing through walls and making them cry.

Just... self-explanatory. I know it's the expected of a Ghost-Type and all, but loving the sound of crying children still makes it really creepy. The fact that it is based on the Grim Reaper makes the slightly unsettling to absolutely terrifying. Nightmare fuel, may I add.

Post on the thread more dex entries you find creepy on this format:

(Title) - (Pokémon)'s (Game) entry reads:

(Entry)

(Your review/reaction)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Dead Creepy - Gengar's Sun entry reads:

Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.

Wow. It literally just tells you that if a Gengar has its sights set on you, you're basically dead. Very morbid and harsh right there.

Gengar's other Dex entries in the Gen 7 games are just as creepy:

It apparently wishes for a traveling companion. Since it was once human itself, it tries to create one by taking the lives of other humans. (Moon)

You can hear tales told all over the world about how Gengar will pay a visit to children who are naughty. (Ultra Sun)

Even your home isn’t safe. Gengar will lurk in whatever dark corner of a room it can find and wait for its chance to catch its prey. (Ultra Moon)

Luthor

Dead Creepy - Gengar's Sun entry reads:

Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.

Wow. It literally just tells you that if a Gengar has its sights set on you, you're basically dead. Very morbid and harsh right there.

Gengar's other Dex entries in the Gen 7 games are just as creepy:

It apparently wishes for a traveling companion. Since it was once human itself, it tries to create one by taking the lives of other humans. (Moon)

You can hear tales told all over the world about how Gengar will pay a visit to children who are naughty. (Ultra Sun)

Even your home isn’t safe. Gengar will lurk in whatever dark corner of a room it can find and wait for its chance to catch its prey. (Ultra Moon)

Agreed. Plus even in gen 8 Gengar its Gigantamax entries are also slightly creepy

Sword (gmax) Rumour has it that its gigantic mouth leads not into its body, filled with cursed energy, but instead directly to the afterlife.

Shield (G-max) It lays traps, hoping to steal the lives of those it catches. If you stand in front of its mouth, you'll hear your loved ones' voices calling out to you.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think that a lot of these are folktales or things that could happen, it depends on who's writing the entry. Here's another Ghost type with a creepy Sword entry:
Litwick

"The flame on its head keeps its body slightly warm. This Pokémon takes lost children by the hand to guide them to the spirit world."

octoboy

I Crush Everything
If you stand in front of its mouth, you'll hear your loved ones' voices calling out to you.
Why am I just chuckling, thinking of the utility of this? Like,
Lawyer: So, did your dead mother leave any last will and testament?
Client: No.
Lawyer: Ok. Go gengar! Gengar gigantamax! Ok, ma'am, what do you want done with your possessions? We'll have to get this in writing.

Actually, just a regular battle might have some pretty amusing results:
Trainer: Go cubone!
Opponent: Go gengar! Gengar gigantamax!
Trainer: Cubone, attack!
Cubone: No, I wanna say hi to my mom!
Mother cubone: Wow, was my skull that lumpy?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
A lot of Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Moon dex entries get creepy, especially Mega Evolution. I think it's a common headcanon that your Rotom Dex is messing with you

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
A lot of Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Moon dex entries get creepy, especially Mega Evolution. I think it's a common headcanon that your Rotom Dex is messing with you

That might be why some of the Dex entries in Gen 7 and 8 have become a lot more morbid in tone. Some of the entries before then probably did mention death, though not in such gory detail.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Drifloon's entry is scary in Heart Gold and Soul Silver

"It is whispered that any child who mistakes Drifloon for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing."

Luthor

Dusknoir has pretty creepy pokedex entries in Sword and Shield

Sword- At the bidding of transmissions from the spirit world, it steals people and Pokémon away. No one knows whether it has a will of its own.

Shield- With the mouth on its belly, Dusknoir swallows its target whole. The soul is the only thing eaten— Dusknoir disgorges the body before departing.

MrJechgo

Here's a creepy thing: if the Pokémon world doesn't have actual animals and insects, how can they classify Pokémon as real-life animals/insects :p ?

Pokefan_1987

Here's a creepy thing: if the Pokémon world doesn't have actual animals and insects, how can they classify Pokémon as real-life animals/insects :p ?
Because the pokemon are the dominant animals because of franchise purposes. Thats why many of them are adapted as animals. Litten is a cat for example Herdier looks like a Yorkshire Terrier and Yamper is based on a british dog.

MrJechgo

Because the pokemon are the dominant animals because of franchise purposes. Thats why many of them are adapted as animals. Litten is a cat for example Herdier looks like a Yorkshire Terrier and Yamper is based on a british dog.
But you cannot have a cat Pokémon, if there isn't any normal cat to begin with XD

Lucariomen

I'm sorry if I'm being rude (not my intention), but can we please keep in the theme? Again, terribly sorry if I'm being rude, I'm just saying.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
While Ghost type entries are typically creepy, that's kind of the point. Sometimes they hit you with a seemingly innocuous Pokemon like the Paras line. It's a mind-controlling parasitic fungus on Parasect, turning the Pokemon into a zombie. The Crystal Dex is especially chilling: "When nothing's left to extract from the bug, the mushrooms on its back leave spores on the bug's egg". Basically Paras is doomed to a slow and horrible demise from birth. I know it's based off a real life fungi, but that just makes it worse. At least give Parasect an evolution where it reclaim its autonomy

Luthor

Here's a creepy one from Bewear

Moon-This Pokémon has the habit of hugging its companions. Many Trainers have left this world after their spines were squashed by its hug.

Showing the injuries it can inflict can be fatal and that this a common occurrence is very interesting.

Monox D. I-Fly

While Ghost type entries are typically creepy, that's kind of the point. Sometimes they hit you with a seemingly innocuous Pokemon like the Paras line. It's a mind-controlling parasitic fungus on Parasect, turning the Pokemon into a zombie. The Crystal Dex is especially chilling: "When nothing's left to extract from the bug, the mushrooms on its back leave spores on the bug's egg". Basically Paras is doomed to a slow and horrible demise from birth. I know it's based off a real life fungi, but that just makes it worse. At least give Parasect an evolution where it reclaim its autonomy
Probably they'll eventually release a region where fungus can't survive.

Pokefan_1987

Blacephalon's pokedex entry in Ultra Sun and Moon can certain seem creepy and yet it doesn't seem to be designed to take vitality away. The Mind Blown attack seems to be more like a pokemon that would be a prankster bomber or becomes jealous if it think people outdo it with fireworks. (I used color codes)

It slithers toward people. Then, without warning, it triggers the explosion of its own head. It's apparently one kind of Ultra Beast.

A UB that appeared from an Ultra Wormhole, it causes explosions, then takes advantage of opponents' surprise to rob them of their vitality.

You can just imagine this thing sneaking around attacking people in their sleep or attacking things without warning. Mistaking it for a circus attraction could be dangerous.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Game Freak must have some kind of weird grudge against kids (despite being their main target audience), because a lot of Dex entries for Ghost-type Pokémon mention bad things happening to children if they encounter one, especially with Duskull and the Drifloon family.

Duskull:

Duskull wanders lost among the deep darkness of midnight. There is an oft- told admonishment given to misbehaving children that this Pokémon will spirit away bad children who earn scoldings from their mothers. (Sapphire)

It loves the crying of children. It startles bad kids by passing through walls and making them cry. (Platinum)

If it finds bad children who won’t listen to their parents, it will spirit them away--or so it’s said. (Y)

Drifloon:

It tugs on the hands of children to steal them away. However, it gets pulled around instead. (Pearl)

These Pokémon are called the “Signpost for Wandering Spirits.” Children holding them sometimes vanish. (Y)

Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children. (Sun)

Wandering souls gathered together to form this Pokémon. When trying to make friends with children, Drifloon grabs them by the hand. (Ultra Moon)