• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can you see Hugh or a similar rival character work in the anime?

Do you think a character like Hugh, or Hugh himself, can be work in the anime somehow?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
This is not the question where you want to see Hugh in the anime series or not. Unlike Silver whose importance to the Pokemon lore is related to Team Rocket, who is an ongoing villainous team in the anime series, Hugh's importance to the Pokemon lore is related to Team Plasma who already met their end in the Best Wishes series and with ongoing trends of villainous teams never ever making an appearance or mentioned ever again after the season is over, there is pretty much almost a 100% chance Hugh will never appear again unless they do something promotional for the possible upcoming Black and White remakes, like they did with Lyra for HGSS. The question is not whether you want to see Hugh in the anime series or not but rather can he or a similar rival can work in the anime? As many of you know, Hugh is quite possibly the darkest friendly rival of the Pokemon series and in some ways, would be a breath of fresh air for the anime series.

tumblr_ojk626VBYA1s2s4omo1_400.png

Hugh's most iconic scene out of any medium. Considered by most as even better than the games take on the iconic line.

Hugh is quite possibly the most angriest no-nonsense Pokemon character ever conceived by GameFreak to the point that the writer of Pokemon Adventures even makes some jokes about it. If you played BW2, you know that Hugh isn't an edgelord like Gladion, he isn't a jerk rival like Green but rather he's simply a supporting friendly rival who is your best friend but has absolutely no chill at all to the point that he's actually far more aggressive than any jerk rival as of now. Essentially he's a much more aggressive and wrathful take on a friendly rival, something the anime has NEVER done before. The reason why Hugh is the darkest friendly rival ever conceived comes from his sibling relationship with his sister.

rg9jQ1P.jpg

Hugh's caring side in a scene from Pokemon Adventures only vaguely mentioned in the games.

Even though he is quite possibly the most angriest Pokemon character ever in any Pokemon medium, he does have a sweet side. He tries with all his hard effort to control his anger lol for his little sister on multiple occasions. The above picture is a scene that's mentioned in the Black and White 2 games but is never shown. In Pokemon Adventures, the scene mentioned in the games is expanded upon in a full-fledge round, given life and character to it. We see a younger Hugh surprising his sister by giving her very first Pokemon on her birthday. We see Hugh clearly cares a lot for his younger sister. Unfortunately, to those who play the Black and White 2 games... you know what happens next. The Purrloin Hugh gave to his sister gets stolen by Team Plasma.

q43VNpe.png

Hugh is about to blow up.

One interesting character trait I've noticed about Hugh in both the games and manga, is that unlike a lot of other characters in Pokemon, he does not care if your a girl. It's a common character trope where male characters have to act respectful to a degree to female characters. Even Ash Ketchum has this even though he has his outbursts and arguments from time to time. As for Hugh. He's the kind of rival who is always demanding answers from people or if they dare mention or mock his sister in a negative way, Hugh absolutely blows up regardless of who you are. Unless of course his sister is around. It's never shown in the games but in the manga, Hugh tries to control himself, appearing as a kind responsible brotherly role model to his sister lol. That's an interesting thing about the Pokemon Adventures take. It explores Hugh's relationship with his sister quite a lot, sometimes in just funny ways that I can picture working in the anime. In fact some people believe that Hugh's relationship with his sister may have served as the inspiration for Gladion, a similarly aggressive rival, and his relationship with Lillie. Now that I think about it, I can see Hugh and his sister, or a similar pair of characters, traveling with Ash in a similar way as to Clemont and Bonnie or May and Max.

pokemon_01-400x225.jpg

Hugh's only animated appearance, going up against Team Plasma.

Of course one of the things that made Hugh such a memorable rival is also his aggressive pursuance of Team Plasma in a time when Team Plasma is divided into two factions, demanding to know where his sister's Purrloin is. He isn't mocking how weak people are or how Pokemon are to be treated as tools like many of the jerk rivals do, he is just looking to rescue his sister's Purrloin. Due to how unique of a rival he is and his noble goal, he's definitely become some of fans' absolute favorite rival and I can see similarly work in the anime. I can also see a similar rival out to say someone's Pokemon from a villainous team. I can actually see it work with Team Rocket as they are known for stealing Pokemon. I can imagine a Hugh-like rival absolutely blowing up in front of the Team Rocket trio, scaring the heck out of them with his anger alone.

With that being said, can you see Hugh or a similar rival with anger management issues out to save someone's Pokemon from a villainous team work throughout an entire anime season?

Last edited:

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
I don't think Hugh will ever show up, but if they rework his character into something similar down the line (like Silver ---> Paul), it would be cool. The obvious semantics are what team would he have a vendetta against, and how his and Ash's storyline would collide. Team Rocket would be interesting, but we mostly see the TRio and that's about it in terms of actual presence.

There's a lot of untapped potential from games past that the anime hasn't scratched the surface of, and I do think they will eventually hit the need for this if they need more plotlines.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It doesn't necessarily have to be Hugh. It can be an entirely new character inspired by Hugh, similar to how many believe Paul is inspired by Silver who appeared in the Diamond and Pearl season, years after the Johto years and the anime crew is known for looking at past works for inspiration for new characters. Hugh in particularly is one of the more unique standout rivals because he is a friendly rival but possesses the aggressiveness of a jerk rival, if not more so through his rage. Either way, it'd be interesting and refreshing to see Hugh or a rival character based on Hugh's unique characteristics. In fact I don't think it's too far off that Hugh and his sister, or a similar pair, can travel alongside Ash, similar to Clemont and Bonnie or May and Max.