• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cancelled episodes

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Judai Yuki said:
But in english i saw the James one in america also i want to see the porygon one but without dying

Nobody died because of the Porygon episode o_O

Blue Pokemon Master said:
Could someone remind me why they refuse to reair "Beauty and the Beach", edited and mutilated as it is?

Mutilated? Pfft. The editing in that episode was pretty minor, especially compared to something like "The Legend of Thunder." And even THAT is like One Piece on a good day.

Midnight Scott said:
The Porygon episode will only give you a seizure if you have Epilepsy. I've watched it and I didn't fill dizzy, nauseous, headache, or eye strain or fatigue of any kind. Apparently it must be common in the Japanese for over 700 kids having a seizure at the same time.

700 victims out of a country whose population is more than 127 million isn't "common" in any sense of the word.

They only banned the Jynx episodes because Jynx skin color was black and because some black lady got all mad and said it was a japanese stereotype of black people....stupid lady didn't know Jack **** about it.

Whine whine whine whine whine whine whine.

They also stopped showing the Tentacool & Tentacruel episode because they destroyed buildings(cuzz of September 11th)

That ban was lifted YEARS ago. Jesus.

If this was done by FUNimation, it probably wouldn't have been cut out.

An episode of Dragon Ball Z from the Great Saiyaman episodes was temporarily banned because it depicted a large skyscraper burning.

Rex Kamex

I saw the original Beauty and the Beach episode. I saw the dub version way before that, but I went downstairs to eat breakfast and never taped it. (Hey, I didn't think it was an episode that would never be aired again on American TV.)

I also saw the Dratini one. It was funny hearing Team Rocket recite their motto while being shot. (I later had a dream that I was watching a dub version of the episode on TV, but they were doing something that wasn't in the original episode.)

I also saw the Porygon one. (A bonus for me, my version had the commercials too, so that was kinda cool. Anyway...) I remember dimming my computer screen when I was getting to the seizure scene. I think I can understand how that pattern at a really fast pace can cause seizures. Since 700 kids got seizures from the same episode, of course it was banned. It's too bad that it's my favorite episode...

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
CyberCubed said:
I don't think "Beauty and the Beach" has an episode number at all, it's not part of the main series really in the dub since it was dubbed much later...not to mention I don't think any station has the tape of this episode anymore...
Doesn't 4Kids have an original tape? They should give it to KidsWB or something so they can air it again.

Dogasu said:
Mutilated? Pfft. The editing in that episode was pretty minor, especially compared to something like "The Legend of Thunder." And even THAT is like One Piece on a good day.
Well... the editing was minor considering they didn't take out anything you wouldn't expect, but although I don't quite remember myself, I keep hearing they had to cut so much that it was obviously a lot shorter than the normal time.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Dogasu said:
700 victims out of a country whose population is more than 127 million isn't "common" in any sense of the word

I heard that some were adults, because they saw the same footage on the news. Why they repeated that dangerous footage at all is beyond me!

Chris

Old Coot
Satoshi said:
They cut that part out, geneis.
Genius isn't spelled "geneis," genius.

Hyper Chibi Absol said:
I've seen the Porygon one on the internet... but I can't remember where... Nothin' happened to me. I didn't feel weird or nothin'.
That's because the computer isn't the same as the television. Not to mention the compression dealt with of the episode and the possible quality of it. I had seen a high quality version on my comp. All I got was an eye strain and minor headache due to the flashing lights.

MidnightScott said:
The Legend of Dratini was a good episode. I can't believe they went and banned it because Ash has had guns pointed at him before by Team Rocket...>_>;
1) He and the group had not just a gun pointed at them, but FIRED REAL BULLETS at them.

2) Musashi and Kojiro tie up the warden and hold guns exactly against his head. Musashi even flirts seductively with him and brings out the dirty old man within him for just a second.

The Porygon episode will only give you a seizure if you have Epilepsy. I've watched it and I didn't fill dizzy, nauseous, headache, or eye strain or fatigue of any kind. Apparently it must be common in the Japanese for over 700 kids having a seizure at the same time.
Read the reasoning I mentioned above about the computer.

They only banned the Jynx episodes because Jynx skin color was black and because some black lady got all mad and said it was a japanese stereotype of black people....stupid lady didn't know Jack **** about it.
Regardless of how many times you'll argue about it. It IS a Japanese stereotype of black people. Have you seen the stereotype black people Akira Toriyama has drawn in Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball? Black skin, bulbous pink or red lips. Mr. Popo was even censored in the Viz translation due to this. And cut the complaining. The episode was your standard garbage Jouto filler that added nothing to the series.

They also stopped showing the Tentacool & Tentacruel episode because they destroyed buildings(cuzz of September 11th)
Not 4Kids' decision. This is a NETWORK decision. Otherwise, it'd have not been dubbed.

Dogasu said:
An episode of Dragon Ball Z from the Great Saiyaman episodes was temporarily banned because it depicted a large skyscraper burning.
That was actually banned on the first time it was to air. When Cartoon Network aired reruns late at night, a few weeks later, it aired just fine. If anything, this was Cartoon Network's doing of skipping the episode. Similar to how they skipped a Cowboy Bebop episode that involved a man falling out of a building similar to the jumpers in the twin towers.

ChaosMage said:
I heard that some were adults, because they saw the same footage on the news. Why they repeated that dangerous footage at all is beyond me!
It was only played in shoddy quality on computers. You wouldn't even be affected much by the computer viewing. And last I recall, adults were affected when the saw the episode itself, not the news. o_O

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Seems like every time we get a discussion about the banned episodes, Dogasu and Edward Elric are the only ones who know what they're talking about.

Anyway, I've got the first three. My copy of "Holiday at Aopuroko" is fansubbed (and whoever did it decided to make Satoshi curse a blue streak - it's really annoying after the sixth or seventh time), as is my copy of "Electric Soldier Porygon" (though with significantly fewer swears), but "The Legend of Miniryuu" is clean. I never bothered to get "The Cave of Ice", but I know I'm not missing much.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Edward Elric said:
Regardless of how many times you'll argue about it. It IS a Japanese stereotype of black people. Have you seen the stereotype black people Akira Toriyama has drawn in Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball? Black skin, bulbous pink or red lips. Mr. Popo was even censored in the Viz translation due to this.
This is sort of off-topic, but I wanted to mention that I do get slightly annoyed at seeing many dark-skinned anime characters with large, red lips. I heard it's often done to distinguish the mouth, which some say is hardly visible otherwise, but I've seen characters without that strange mouth and it was perfectly easy to see, at least for me.

Edward Elric said:
And cut the complaining. The episode was your standard garbage Jouto filler that added nothing to the series.
Filler? The Ice Cave's in the games, so it's not complete filler, no matter how easy you could throw it in the pile of bad Johto episodes.

Chris

Old Coot
Filler? The Ice Cave's in the games, so it's not complete filler, no matter how easy you could throw it in the pile of bad Johto episodes.
Uh, it was filler. o_O Nothing important happened in the episode. Nothing from that episode carried on into other episodes. Japan's skipped a number of Houen locations from the games in the anime before, despite one or two actually being important. Just because it was important in the games doesn't mean it will be important in the anime.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Edward Elric said:
Uh, it was filler. o_O Nothing important happened in the episode. Nothing from that episode carried on into other episodes. Japan's skipped a number of Houen locations from the games in the anime before, despite one or two actually being important. Just because it was important in the games doesn't mean it will be important in the anime.
Since when do non-fillers have to effect other episodes? It was in the games, they brought it to life, thus making an accurate representation of the game. You don't think that's enough to qualify something as not a filler? And skipping locations of Hoenn doesn't mean they wouldn't have been important.

PDL

disenchanted
technically, we did happen to see an accruate representation of the Ice Caves in pre-gym battle episode... the one with Pryce finding his frozen Plioswine...

anyway, the only cancelled episode that wasn't a filler was the legend of Dratini episode... mostly because Ash caught 30 something Tauros...

Heracross

Custom User Title
Since when do non-fillers have to effect other episodes?
The very definition of a filler is that it does nothing to add to the plot and has no effect on things in the rest of the series. That describes the Ruujura episode perfectly.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Heracross said:
The very definition of a filler is that it does nothing to add to the plot and has no effect on things in the rest of the series. That describes the Ruujura episode perfectly.
Meh... I was under the assumption that anything you 'fill' an anime with that wasn't a part of the original influence of the show was filler. Not any episode that doesn't 'need' to be acknowledged. But whatever, if that's the official definition, I won't argue with it. o_o

Marky Vigoroth

Beginning Trainer
Comments:
Holiday in Alcapulco/Beauty and the Beach:
I never saw it, but I don't know whether serebii.net actually took the pictures of the really gross scenes (I didn't want to go and see the link myself, so don't blame me...).
Dratini episode:
Never also saw it, but I hope nobody actually got hurt there.
Oh, and one time, when I read Pojo's Unofficial Pokémon, I read that there was an episode that the network didn't want anyone to see (or something like that), and since I didn't understand the reason, I covered the screen whenever someone else tried to see the TV (You might expect this, but I was younger at the time.)
Electric Soldier Porygon:
I wonder why didn't they just cut out that scene or redo it? If I am ever to see that episode, that scene must be cut (I'm NOT taking any chances!).
Tentacruel episode:
I read in a website that they got rid of the episode because of the way Nastina wanted to get rid of the Tentacruel (exterminating them). Strangely, you could see the episode on video, and they never altered one second of it, even during the ban. (They might have forgotten it, or it was too much trouble.) Also, they showed it again, as the "Lost Episode".
Jynx episode:
I read in a website (probably the same one that talked about the Tentacruel one) that they banned that episode not because of the stereotype, but because of the SARS condition that was present at the time. The site said that the cut was made because someone made Brock sick on purpose. (A bit off topic, but I knew a bit about the SARS epidemic; I was doing a project that had to do with writting commentaries about 10 newspaper articles, and one of them happened to be a SARS article.)
Barboach vs. Whiscash:
I think that they will show the episode in 4 ways.
1 (US only): They may just show it anyways, because it is not THAT far off the recent episode. (It will work only in the USA, due to that the Whiscash episode is just a few episodes away from thenext dubbed episode.)
2 (US/Japan): They may, just like they did with the Tentacruel episode, show it as another "Lost Episode".
3 (US/Japan): They may show it on the internet, like that episode of Teen Titans. (If they do it right, they might just get some money out of all this.)
4 (Us/Japan): They, again like the Tentacruel one, put it in the next DVD series (The Japanese may add the Whiscash episode as a "bonus feature".) This is sure to get them some money!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Tentacruel episode:
I read in a website that they got rid of the episode because of the way Nastina wanted to get rid of the Tentacruel (exterminating them). Strangely, you could see the episode on video, and they never altered one second of it, even during the ban. (They might have forgotten it, or it was too much trouble.) Also, they showed it again, as the "Lost Episode".

Wrong. Tentacool and Tentacruel wasn't shown for awhile after 9/11 (because the giant Tentacruel destroys an entire city), but the episode was NEVER banned.

It was dubbed, it's on DVD and VHS. If the 1st season still aired on TV, this episode would be shown. It was never shown as a "lost episode", that's "Beauty and the Beach" you're talking about.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Marky Vigoroth said:
Tentacruel episode:
They didn't show it again as the "Lost Episode", since they showed it the first time on the regular episode count. Beauty and The Beach was the one they turned into as the "Lost Episode" because they never showed it until the Orange League saga.

The episode was banned only by Kids WB because of the way the Dokukurage was destroying the buildings. It was because of the September 11th bombings which caused it to be banned.

I believe it's unbanned now, but I'm not so sure.......

EDIT: CyberCubed pratically answered that for you.

Last edited:
T

Toyota Cressida

CyberCubed said:
Wrong. Tentacool and Tentacruel wasn't shown for awhile after 9/11 (because the giant Tentacruel destroys an entire city), but the episode was NEVER banned.

It was dubbed, it's on DVD and VHS. If the 1st season still aired on TV, this episode would be shown. It was never shown as a "lost episode", that's "Beauty and the Beach" you're talking about.
Actually that episode was banned from KidsWB (they did it themselves) after the 9/11 attacks, but they still show it on Cartoon Network. I have the VHS of it.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
True, but neither channel airs the 1st season anymore so it doesn't matter. The only way to see the Tentacruel ep and all the other 1st season eps now are to buy the DVDs. :/

PDL

disenchanted
CyberCubed said:
The only way to see the Tentacruel ep and all the other 1st season eps now are to buy the DVDs. :/

or if they have a special week with episodes that have something in common, like they feature Charmander family... but those rarely ever happen now... and of course, they're getting rid of the weekday line-up, so this will never happen again.

Chris

Old Coot
God damnit. They're NEVER airing the Porygon episode again. There wasn't any way they could cut out pieces since the ENTIRE EPISODE had flashing bright colors. The Kanto episodes in English you all saw were videos Japan used for their VHS release. All of the episodes from the pre-KidsWB portion of Pokémon were darkened and slowed down when the screen would flash. Why do you think Pikachu's attacks seemed to go in slow-mo and darken the screen the moment it aired?

By then, the episode was BANNED world-wide. There isn't even a VHS release of the episode.