• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Candlelight Art

~Light

Header-1.png

I thought about opening an art thread here for quite some time, so here goes...

Here are some banners I made in the very beginning of my art shop :

iron_man_banner_by_mewuni-d3llay4.png

silver_pokemon_banner_by_mewuni-d3ldp2p.png

babydoll_banner_by_mewuni-d3rg4wp.png

Here's the result of some tutorial I followed a while back :

bumblebee_grunge_banner_by_mewuni-d4167ia.png

And here are some random banners I like :

electabuzz_banner_2_by_mewuni-d46b00m.png

lugia_banner_by_mewuni-d4ex4ud.png

pokemon_criminals_banner_by_mewuni-d4ex52t.png

pokemon_mystery_dungeon_banner_by_mewuni-d4ex51x.png

zebstrika_banner_by_mewuni-d4jgert.png

Here's the secret santa I made for this year:

modern_warfare_banner_by_mewuni-d4jgd77.png

Some of my most recent banners:

leafeon_banner_by_mewuni-d4kxz8n.png

rotom_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4ktk58.png

vulpix_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4kt8yz.png

black_and_white_banner_by_mewuni-d4kt9mh.png

C&C is really welcome, especially on my most recent banners.
I'll update this thread regularly. Everything in this thread is free to use as long as you don't claim it as your own.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
hey Mew. I really like all of your banners. From your first banners you can tell you have gotten better , but even they were really good.

~Kurou

to see you smile
Your probably the best graphic artist on here besides Neo Pikachu (yeah he's still on here)

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Your rotom and Leafeon banners are fantastic! :D Your art is amazing, in general.

Meowth City

Staff member
Good stuff, Mew_

I noticed that most of your older works have thicker borders, which I think was too noticable especially the white borders. I think it's a good thing you make them thinner now. It's very clear that you have improved upon your graphics greatly with the more recent ones, in particular the smudge ones. To be honest, I am not really into smudge banners, but yours are the very few that I really like. The Rotom one is the best one there, but my personal favourite is the Hilda/Hilbert/Victini one. I also think your Secret Santa one is a great one too. I can't say I'm much of a fan of those kinds of games and I generally dislike pop-out images, but I think the way you used the effects around the image to express movement is quite nice and the use of the text textures are great too. The Leafeon banner is my favourite of the whole lot - the colors are very well suited, text is great and I just love the way you made it.

The only let-down of your most recent banners is the Vulpix one. Parts of the image look like they are disappearing and not in a good way. Also, there's a very strange texture on Vulpix's chest - I don't know what you were trying to do there. I just don't think that the picture really fits the smudge technique that you have in the rest of the banner. It's clear that you like making smudge banners, but I think you should be selective in terms of what images you use for them - some work, but not all pictures look good with a smudge background. Of course, this is coming from someone who's not really a fan of smudge banners so that might be a personal bias.

Anyway, you mostly do great work.

Last edited:

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
In my opinion, your Leafeon banner is the best banner of your's I've seen (which is saying something, considering over a third of SPPf uses your art).

I know your Smile banner is a real Smudge banner, but I think it's a little too smudged.
Also, to me, the dimensions of some of your banners are a little odd. I think you should stick with dimensions that are similar to your In Charge! banner (which I noticed you've done with some of your more recent work).

Overall, very nice banners.

~Light

Good stuff, Mew_

I noticed that most of your older works have thicker borders, which I think was too noticable especially the white borders. I think it's a good thing you make them thinner now. It's very clear that you have improved upon your graphics greatly with the more recent ones, in particular the smudge ones. To be honest, I am not really into smudge banners, but yours are the very few that I really like. The Rotom one is the best one there, but my personal favourite is the Hilda/Hilbert/Victini one. I also think your Secret Santa one is a great one too. I can't say I'm much of a fan of those kinds of games and I generally dislike pop-out images, but I think the way you used the effects around the image to express movement is quite nice and the use of the text textures are great too. The Leafeon banner is my favourite of the whole lot - the colors are very well suited, text is great and I just love the way you made it.

The only let-down of your most recent banners is the Vulpix one. Parts of the image look like they are disappearing and not in a good way. Also, there's a very strange texture on Vulpix's chest - I don't know what you were trying to do there. I just don't think that the picture really fits the smudge technique that you have in the rest of the banner. It's clear that you like making smudge banners, but I think you should be selective in terms of what images you use for them - some work, but not all pictures look good with a smudge background. Of course, this is coming from someone who's not really a fan of smudge banners so that might be a personal bias.

Anyway, you mostly do great work.

Thanks for your comments ^^. And yes, I never use a 2px border anymore, only on text sometimes, but never at 100% opacity.

Well, I used a completely different style, since to be honest, I really didn't like my banners anymore. So instead of using textures and such, I decided to mess around a bit with the smudge tool, and also use a dozen of new techniques to make the banner look better. I actually really like the Vulpix one, and the Rotom one was made the same way.

And everyone seems to like the Leafeon banner the most :p. To be honest, it was made in 15 minutes. But I really like the simple effects on that one actually. Thanks again for your C&C.

In my opinion, your Leafeon banner is the best banner of your's I've seen (which is saying something, considering over a third of SPPf uses your art).

I know your Smile banner is a real Smudge banner, but I think it's a little too smudged.
Also, to me, the dimensions of some of your banners are a little odd. I think you should stick with dimensions that are similar to your In Charge! banner (which I noticed you've done with some of your more recent work).

Overall, very nice banners.

Thanks, that Leafeon banner was made in 15 minutes though, but I thought it really came out good too.

That Vulpix banner was the first banner I made using a dozen of new techniques, so I think I overdid it a little. But I still think it's better than my Rotom banner though, I like how colorful it is ^^.

And most of these banners were requests at my shop, so I make it in the size they request. Which banners do you think have odd dimensions?

Thanks a lot for your C&C.

Edit: Made a new banner, wasn't sure about the text though.

morty_smudge_banner_v1_by_mewuni-d4l6s2s.png

morty_smudge_banner_v2_by_mewuni-d4l6s4m.png

SmartD

These banners look neat, especially the Rotom one. Nice job.

~Light

Here's another smudge banner I made today, it was a request at my shop :

pikachu_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4lahrk.png

And here's a userbar I made too, I really like it to be honest ^^

http://i44.*******.com/2zsterr.gif

~Light

Here's another smudge banner, using a render I had saved on my laptop for quite some time now xD. Never got around to making something with it, but I finally did ^^. I also made some avatars out of previous banners:

emboar_avatar_by_mewuni-d4le8d0.png
morty_avatar_by_mewuni-d4le8eo.png
rotom_avatar_by_mewuni-d4le8gb.png
vulpix_avatar_by_mewuni-d4le8ky.png

emboar_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4le73r.png

Any comments?

Last edited:

kyogreblue3

take a byte
DUDE! THIS IS A COMMENTING HEAVEN WITH HOW MUCH YOU HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!!!
Slow down next time and wait for KB3! LOL, JK :p

Here I go . . .

iron_man_banner_by_mewuni-d3llay4.png

not a fan of this one, tbh
the red lines over the Iron Man on the left side should've been erased, IMO

silver_pokemon_banner_by_mewuni-d3ldp2p.png

OMG, one of my favorites of your banners <3

pokemon_criminals_banner_by_mewuni-d4ex52t.png

text ("Organized Criminals") isn't really placed right, IMO the graphic would look better without it and the Team grunts up a little higher

zebstrika_banner_by_mewuni-d4jgert.png

do you remember the font you used for that one? xD

leafeon_banner_by_mewuni-d4kxz8n.png

Visitor text could have been replaced with a font like the one you used for Leafeon, I just find that it doesn't suit the theme very well
but I like this banner of yours, too :)

rotom_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4ktk58.png

:eek:
tell me how you made this one! please?

black_and_white_banner_by_mewuni-d4kt9mh.png

You already have my two cents on this one :p

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/003/7/f/morty_smudge_banner_v1_by_mewuni-d4l6s2s.png
This version is better, IMO.
might use this graphic of yours in my sig soon ^_^ Morty is beast

emboar_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4le73r.png

Emboar finally gets a spotlight!
I like the smudging on this one; I have nothing else to add xD

Well, uhm, that's all for now . . . . BRB when you update

~Light

Thanks for your comments ^^.
This is the font I used on the Zebstrika Banner: http://www.dafont.com/capture-it.font
That banner with Silver & Furret was my first ever smudge banner btw xD

Anyway, thanks again for your C&C ^^

Here are two new banners I made, and also fitting avatars :

drapion_avatar_by_mewuni-d4llvkd.png
n_pokemon_avatar_by_mewuni-d4llvil.png

n_pokemon_banner_by_mewuni-d4lhvj6.png

drapion_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4lluor.png

~Light

Here's another smudge banner. Haven't been making as much art lately, probably because I spent too much time on my Xbox xD

solrock_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4m6eme.png

Here's another update:

morrigan_dragon_age_banner_by_mewuni-d4m7tfh.png

morrigan_dragon_age_avatar_by_mewuni-d4m7u2y.png

nina_dobrev_avatar_by_mewuni-d4m7qya.png

serebii_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4m7pjm.png

Last edited:

kyogreblue3

take a byte
Xbox 360, eh? I'm wondering if you play RDR . . . . my friend needs a challenge :p

solrock_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4m6eme.png

The "black strokes" around Solrock; that you probably got from smudging, IDK; look weird and doesn't really fit in IMO
The background looks good, tho. I like your smudge style ^^

serebii_smudge_banner_by_mewuni-d4m7pjm.png

The only complaint I have about this one is that the Celebi are bright; you might want to duplicate the original Celebi layer, move it to the top, and use a layer setting (possibly Soft Light, it varies, really) to make Celebi stand out a bit more

Last edited:

~Light

I don't play RDR sorry ^^
Currently playing Dragon Age and I really like it :D.

On topic :
Those black strokes are a motion blur I used to try and bring more flow into the banner ^^. I don't know about the Celebi, I thought it kinda fit the banner xD