• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cannabis/Marijuana Legalization

Grey Wind

Dew Watatsumi said:
That video of that women high on pot and abusing her kid does not make marijuana supporters look good at all
It looks like she was an awful mother anyway. I don't think it had anything to do with marijuana.

This, I don't get involved in politics, like I have mentioned in other threads, but I don't necessarily think that Marijuana is completely harmless either. Yes there are studies that say its completely safe, and those that say its dangerous, I'd probably believe the ones that say its dangerous, if only to err on the side of caution.
"Harmless" is an exaggeration, but I wouldn't call it overly dangerous. It's definitely one of the safer drugs.

Yeah, I don't think so. I know that marijuana can have some medicinal effects, but, alcohol has many beneficial effects as well, especially wine. To the best of my knowledge, there are actually a lot of benefits to alcohol, provided you don't actually overdo it (Which no one almost ever does, but hey, they potential is there).

So, both can be overdone, both have positive effects if used right, I'd say the one with the more positive effects has more of a right to be legal imo.
lol what? There are a couple of minor health benefits (most of which are "slightly reduced risk of x") but I don't think it has "many beneficial effects" like you claim. There are a ton of negative short and long term effects of alcohol (weakened immune system, high blood pressure, various liver diseases etc). Also, saying that "almost no one" goes overboard with alcohol is kind of ridiculous considering the amount of stuff you see about binge drinking and what not.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
lol what? There are a couple of minor health benefits (most of which are "slightly reduced risk of x") but I don't think it has "many beneficial effects" like you claim. There are a ton of negative short and long term effects of alcohol (weakened immune system, high blood pressure, various liver diseases etc). Also, saying that "almost no one" goes overboard with alcohol is kind of ridiculous considering the amount of stuff you see about binge drinking and what not.
Sorry, that must have been a typo, I was trying to say that almost no one is moderate when it comes to alcohol. And yes, they may just be "Slightly reduced risk of x" but they're still benefits nonetheless.
[source]

BJPalmer85

Sorry, that must have been a typo, I was trying to say that almost no one is moderate when it comes to alcohol. And yes, they may just be "Slightly reduced risk of x" but they're still benefits nonetheless.
[source]

Are we doing straight benefits and ignoring the negatives or can the negatives out weight the benefits? Marijuana comes on top either way really. Its been proven to help ease pain and increase appetite.

Where as red wine may help reduce the risk of CVD. Which is honestly just an excuse used to drink as there are many other foods that have the same affect and/or are better. If you want to drink, just drink. Don't use some BS "heart healthy" line.

If you take in all the negatives of alcohol, then it is clearly the loser. So as to your earlier post, Marijuana should be legal as it has more benefits.

B

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Are we doing straight benefits and ignoring the negatives or can the negatives out weight the benefits? Marijuana comes on top either way really. Its been proven to help ease pain and increase appetite.

Where as red wine may help reduce the risk of CVD. Which is honestly just an excuse used to drink as there are many other foods that have the same affect and/or are better. If you want to drink, just drink. Don't use some BS "heart healthy" line.

If you take in all the negatives of alcohol, then it is clearly the loser. So as to your earlier post, Marijuana should be legal as it has more benefits.

B

Well, the negatives in alcohol, from what I've read, really only happen when you drink too much, too often. If you drink a moderate amount, then you will most likely never see those negative consequences. But I know that the smoking part of marijuana cant be good, even if the drug itself isn't that bad. Like I said earlier, people say its safe, people say its not, its hard to find the middle ground.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Eh... To be honest, considering something such as alcohol is legal everywhere, I don't see much reasons for marijuana to not be. Listen, I'm a 18 year old that have smoked this and haven't really felt any bad effects (yet, I suppose), but when it comes to alcohol, it's effects occur quite fast for something so legal, and I don't really see anything good coming out of it. That is, considering you're addicted, which most people aren't.
It have to be legal here in Brazil, simply because it's the open road for other drugs. EVERYONE starts with it, and the number of people that go to jail because he was catch smoking marijuana is simply ridiculous for something so... Small. But you know why they have go to jail because of this.
Now, if I want to be legalised? I don't. It smells bad, I don't see anything worth my money on this stuff, and chldren nowadays are pretty much messed up because of alcohol, yet there'll be another legalised drug for them to use. But considering those are most personal opinions, I wouldn't take it much serious. Marijuana have to be legal because the effects would be "less worse" than if it wouldn't.

Either options are bad, but I feel like making it legal would be better than not making it, even though it's not my desire to have it legal.

Grey Wind

[source]

Well, the negatives in alcohol, from what I've read, really only happen when you drink too much, too often. If you drink a moderate amount, then you will most likely never see those negative consequences. But I know that the smoking part of marijuana cant be good, even if the drug itself isn't that bad. Like I said earlier, people say its safe, people say its not, its hard to find the middle ground.
What... point are you trying to make? Yeah, we've said that there are minor benefits to alcohol (although I still think you're exaggerating how beneficial it is). All you've really said about marijuana is a half-hearted "it might be bad but it might be good". I think you need to do some research on the topic because you don't seem very informed.

Also, re: "the smoking part of marijuana cant be good", it's not. Nobody is trying to say that it's totally without its risks, but when you're smoking it recreationally you're not really smoking enough for it to have major effects. It's not like tobacco where you can just have a cigarette on your work break.

Akanjao said:
yet there'll be another legalised drug for them to use
Eh. I think educating kids about drugs is a better idea than strict abstinence. It's really, really easy to get your hands on the drug so the illegality of it certainly isn't stopping people.

Navin

MALDREAD
Well, from my own personal experiences, one of my best friends from high school started doing weed in college and got addicted to it. And another one of my best friends also started doing it last year and got addicted as well. So for me, I do see it as something more bad than good.

If people want to do it, so be it. Me, I find it a bad habit - it smells like sh1t, wastes time, and prolly kills brain cells (at least after seeing friends lazily sprawled across the couch saying dumb crap).

Rakansen

ラルフ
Well, from my own personal experiences, one of my best friends from high school started doing weed in college and got addicted to it. And another one of my best friends also started doing it last year and got addicted as well. So for me, I do see it as something more bad than good.

If people want to do it, so be it. Me, I find it a bad habit - it smells like sh1t, wastes time, and prolly kills brain cells (at least after seeing friends lazily sprawled across the couch saying dumb crap).

Though marijuana isn't as harmful to the body as other drugs, it can extremely decrease motivation, as I've learned from research and from experience.

In my opinion, though, I think it should be legalized, at least in California. Legalization will reduce a large number of violent crimes related to illegal possession of marijuana, and it will save more space for people in prison who do worse crimes.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
What... point are you trying to make? Yeah, we've said that there are minor benefits to alcohol (although I still think you're exaggerating how beneficial it is). All you've really said about marijuana is a half-hearted "it might be bad but it might be good". I think you need to do some research on the topic because you don't seem very informed.

Also, re: "the smoking part of marijuana cant be good", it's not. Nobody is trying to say that it's totally without its risks, but when you're smoking it recreationally you're not really smoking enough for it to have major effects. It's not like tobacco where you can just have a cigarette on your work break.
Well, I was just replying to marioguy's post, I wasn't really trying to prove anything worthwhile, just putting my opinion in.

And as to the doing research...well, I actually have, and I got in to this same debate a while back. And I presented evidence that said it was harmful, the other guy presented evidence saying it was safe. And we both ended up just saying our evidence was correct. So, no no do not believe that marijuana is without harm, and as you said, I don't think any rational person thinks that either (The last guy I debated with did thought that it was harmless, but that's beside the point), but I think the degree of harm is difficult to determine given the amount of contradictory evidence out there.

Metakarta

Trainer
I personally believe weed should be legalized if Alcohol is, you don't see pot heads getting in bar fights, no? On top of that, weed is less harmful then cigarettes. Keep in mind though, if your prone to anxiety or depression, be careful.

Sircharles

Marijuantsome?
I personally think that Marijuana should have been legalized a long time ago. There's no reason for it to be illegal. People smoke it for medical purposes and others to get ripped. Have you ever heard of anyone dying after a bowl of 100% THC? I don't think so. Cause people don't even consume enough to overdose on it. Yeah inhaling smoke is bad for you, but you see people puffing on rat poison out on the side of the street. And think nothing of it! If cigarettes are legal, why can't marijuana be? It doesn't make sense.