• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cannabis/Marijuana Legalization

Rakansen

ラルフ
Should marijuana be legalized? On what grounds?

Discuss your viewpoints on why marijuana should be legal or why it shouldn't, or perhaps why it should only be legal as a medical option.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
why don't you discuss your viewpoints so we have something to debate about (as per the rules of this subforum)

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Personally, I do believe that it should be strictly used for medicinal purposes only. But unfortunately like alcohol and any other form of drug (both illegal and prescription) will be stupid enough to abuse it. That video of that women high on pot and abusing her kid does not make marijuana supporters look good at all

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
what about people like carl sagan though? he was high as a kite a lot of the time and he was pretty cool.

i personally support the legalisation of it just because it's dumb that your life can be ruined by doing something that for the most part is pretty harmless and that it's mostly in the hands of criminals

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I don't really care if its legal or not. I do think it can have negative effects, but so do cigarettes, and those are legal. I have read several articles that say its safe, and several that say its not, and I'd quite frankly, rather not risk it, but if other people want to, that's their decision not mine.

PinkiePieFox

Team Flare Grunt
I don't strongly support it nor strongly oppose it, mostly because I'd never want to use it.

But I would like to see it legalized purely so it can be taxed, kinda controlled and screw over the dealers. Some people do say it is harmful and should remained but but, alcohol. When people are sensible with it, like responsible drinkers, then everything would be fin but like with everything there will always be abuse.

It has been said to ruin people's lives, but so does alcohol in some cases, smoking and gambling which are all legal. I don't think it'll encourage people to buy it now that it's legal because all the people that buy it now from dealers will just continue. But if it was legalized it could be regulated like alcohol is, people just need to be wise and not harm themselves or anyone.

I also hope that legalizing it could lower crime rates, as people aren't paying ridiculous prices from a dealer tot he point they get hooked and have to steal/burgle/whatever the hell criminals do. And in the UK legalizing it would mean being able to tax it so it covers their NHS bill, as alcohol's tax keeps being increased because of this and the tax will go down when more people drink responsibly.

I think that marijuana should be legalized. Legalizing it would actually decrease the risk factor of using it, provide jobs, and bring in more tax dollars. In addition, the amount of money spent on arrests would drop steeply, and police resources could be delegated to more important roles.

Without government regulation, marijuana can contain extremely varying amounts of THC. If not grown properly, this can lead to the permanent adverse effects that anti-marijuana advocates frequently use as reasoning for their arguments. If it were legalized and government-regulated, it would help prevent accidental overdoses from poorly-grown marijuana. The majority of reported "marijuana deaths" are caused by overdoses. Eliminating a large number of these overdoses would cut down on the deaths and permanent side effects of marijuana use, and overall make it safer.

As of 2006, it has an estimated value of $35.8 billion dollars. Yes, these are outdated figures, but the fact that it generated this much revenue before laws on marijuana consumption were loosened cannot be ignored. Legalizing marijuana would bring much of this money into the government's hands, where it could be put toward welfare and various government programs. With marijuana illegal, Congress is ignoring America's greatest cash crop and an opportunity to generate much-needed revenue.

LDSman

Most drugs should probably be made legal. If someone wants to sit in their home all day and get high, it's their body. Arrest those that cause problems in the streets like drunk people.

As far as the gov't regulating it? They can't control it now and I don't see how they'd be able to control it if it was legal.

I'm not aware of any overdoses on marijuana.

CO does seem to be having issues with people robbing the marijuana places.

Are there enough people in dissent here to even have a discussion appropriate for the debate forum? In my experience, only the crusty old people tend to be verbal about keeping that "weed stuff" illegal.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Are there enough people in dissent here to even have a discussion appropriate for the debate forum? In my experience, only the crusty old people tend to be verbal about keeping that "weed stuff" illegal.

Probably not but, I like hearing the arguments. owo I haven't really looked this stuff up myself, so hearing convincing arguments does make me want to push for it more. Like The Imposter's argument.

You'd be surprised how much just plain out talking about the issue actually makes people lean one way or the other owo Wherever you can, spread the info so you have more support.

Navin

MALDREAD
I found this statement by President Obama interesting:

"If marijuana is fully legalized and at some point folks say, Well, we can come up with a negotiated dose of cocaine that we can show is not any more harmful than vodka, are we open to that? If somebody says, We've got a finely calibrated dose of meth, it isn't going to kill you or rot your teeth, are we O.K. with that?"

LDSman

I personally don't believe that marijuana is the harmless drug that some make it out to be. I just don't believe in trying to control people's behaviors. If they want to be self destructive, then as long as they don't harm others, more power to them.

Irrespective of someones stance on cannabis legalization, I'm curious to know marijuanas effects on the brain. Recently I caught wind of a study mentioned by the guy who does crash course biology on youtube that apparently showed chronic marijuana usage can lead to the complete breakdown of the part of the brain that controls short term memory. Does someone have more information on this?

BJPalmer85

I really don't care. I used to smoke back when I had other addictions. I know from experience that it is way less harmful to you than alcohol. It's always been said that you can OD on marijuana, you just get to a point where you fall asleep.

In response to Hequetra, I do believe there has been several studies done showing that long term exposure causes some permanent brain damage and can cause lung cancer. I shall use my google-fu

B

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I personally don't believe that marijuana is the harmless drug that some make it out to be. I just don't believe in trying to control people's behaviors. If they want to be self destructive, then as long as they don't harm others, more power to them.
This, I don't get involved in politics, like I have mentioned in other threads, but I don't necessarily think that Marijuana is completely harmless either. Yes there are studies that say its completely safe, and those that say its dangerous, I'd probably believe the ones that say its dangerous, if only to err on the side of caution.

Marijuana has more of a right to be legal than alcohol.
Yeah, I don't think so. I know that marijuana can have some medicinal effects, but, alcohol has many beneficial effects as well, especially wine. To the best of my knowledge, there are actually a lot of benefits to alcohol, provided you don't actually overdo it (Which no one almost ever does, but hey, they potential is there).

So, both can be overdone, both have positive effects if used right, I'd say the one with the more positive effects has more of a right to be legal imo.

BJPalmer85

Yeah, I don't think so. I know that marijuana can have some medicinal effects, but, alcohol has many beneficial effects as well, especially wine. To the best of my knowledge, there are actually a lot of benefits to alcohol, provided you don't actually overdo it (Which no one almost ever does, but hey, they potential is there).

So, both can be overdone, both have positive effects if used right, I'd say the one with the more positive effects has more of a right to be legal imo.

Other than red wine and heart health, list other beneficial effects of alcohol

B

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
That video of that women high on pot and abusing her kid does not make marijuana supporters look good at all

To whom? People who are too inept to look into the fats Yeah, I guess if you're relying on sensationalistic videos for your facts as opposed to actually doing research, you're bound to form wrongful opinions.

and can cause lung cancer.

That couldn't be caused by the smoking part, could it? Because I'm pretty sure that that would have a huge effect.