• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can't Beat The Heat! (272)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Can't Beat The Heat!

Half Way into his battle with Gary, Ash is starting to feel the pressure and must continue to battle hard, especially against Gary's Blastoise. Will Ash beat Gary?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

charizard trainer #1

Ready to lose???
I reckon gary should have won that match

What do u think?

M

meggirl63

I think that Ash had the bigger advantage when it came to skill and creativity.

F

Factory Head Noland

I'm glad that Ash won the battle!

I've been wondering something for ages...
Ash used Tauros, Heracross, Bayleef, Snorlax, Charizard and Muk in the battle BUT Pikachu was sitting on the bench. How could Ash have 7 Pokemon with him? The maximum that a trainer can carry is 6...

Z

Zeick

Howewer, in episode 013 (Mystery of the lighthouse, I guess) Ash had 6 Pokémon and after the capture of Krabby, it was sent to PC. And Pikachu wasn't "carried". There was a time lapse, which was 20 sec. max. So how can this be explained? Hmm...

Anyway, I could watch this episode over and over and over again. Especially just after the part, where Charizard takes Blastoise down with Seismic Toss. Everyone (Ash, Gary, Misty/Brock/Pikachu, the cheerleaders, Delia Ketchum/prof. Oak, Harrison, Mac(e)y/Jackson, Goodshow, Harrison, the audience...) are watching eagerly and the music is great at that part. I'm really glad that I have it on video.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
But Pikachu was sitting with Misty and Brock, and not with Ash. So, I believe this is the ONLY time that Pikachu hasn't actually been with Ash!

Alfonso

Derpgull
I'd love to know what the f*ck was up with this battle. Not just this episode, but the whole damn battle. It started off so well in the previous episode... Team Ota, I believe. animated the first bit. Nidoqueen looked great there.

And then this episode started, and what a disgusting let down. *shakes head* We had OHKO afer OHKO, and for what? A measly last battle against Blastoise that SUCKED HARD? >_>

The only damn good thing about this episode was the Jun'ichi cameo. -_-

Last edited:
M

Melissa

I think this was the last time Delibird appeared. I wonder why it didn't follow TR to Hoenn.

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
charizard trainer #1 said:
I reckon gary should have won that match

What do u think?

I agree wholeheartedly. :)

I was a bit disappointed Umbreon wasn't in his team of six I must admit, it was his trademark Johto pokémon, but Pikachu wasn't in Ash's so happened on both sides.

The battle was great IMO which is consolation for Gary losing I suppose, especially the Blastoise/Charizard finale, although it was a but predictable. I know Seismic toss looks good in the animé, but really it's been overdone too many times now with battles against Blaine, Clair, and now Gary. Although it took it's toll on Blaziken in the next episode when Blaziken used flamethrower to soften the landing and going on to win it.

Disappointed Ash didn't go on to win the whole tournament, his battle with Harrison could have gone either way, but the writers were too scared to let him go that far I think.

So that's Gary's last ever tournament? Sad. I'm still in total shock after that defeat. Can't get over it. Leave me alone....

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I do wonder if we'll ever see a Pikachu Vs. Umbreon rematch. I remember being shocked when this episode first aired that neither Pikachu nor Umbreon were in the battle.

It's like the writers were saving that rematch for a later time, but now I don't think they'll ever battle again since it's been so long.

Puffs

...NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
Charizard vs Blastoise, classic. And the trainers were the Anime equivelants of Red and Blue, too (game Red and Blue, not Manga).

I loved that battle. It's a shame that we didn't get to see Pikachu vs Umbreon, though.

;006; ;009;

R

Rukario-MasTer

have just finished watching the episode playing with fire i cant wait to watch Cant beat the heat!!!

R

rock_blast

I have a question about this episode.What did prof.Oak say when Golem fainted?

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Ash and Gary were really awesome in this battle. It's interesting that Ash kept losing pokemon faster than Gary but ended up beating him anyway with Charizard, but by contrast he kept defeating Harrison quickly and ended up losing to him. At least one way or another this was a great end to Ash and Gary's long rivalry. I liked how Gary used a technique Ash taught him too. I'm glad they brought Team Rocket's debt storyline to an end with this episode too, though I really miss delibird. :(

DarkWobbuffet

BEEEEAAAARR!!!
CyberCubed said:
I do wonder if we'll ever see a Pikachu Vs. Umbreon rematch. I remember being shocked when this episode first aired that neither Pikachu nor Umbreon were in the battle.

It's like the writers were saving that rematch for a later time, but now I don't think they'll ever battle again since it's been so long.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I thought seeing Shigeru's Blackie in "Power Play" was foreshadowing Pikachu's possivble battle with it in the Johto League. Then again, the writers have never been too good at foreshadowing. They seem to just make stuff up as they go along... you know, like how Congress works.

Congress thinks like Johto writers! WE'RE DOOM'D!

*jumps out a window*

squirtleking

Defender of Justice
Charizard vs. Blastoise was legendary, and the music during the final Seismic Toss was the best music in the series! Then again, how many hydro pumps did Blastoise get?!

Pure

back.
The Charizard-Blastoise was one of teh best battles i've seen all series. It was definitely better than any Hoenn battle i've seen or Battle frontier match. I do feel that it was cheap, and Blastoise should have won. However, the orchestration of that match made up for it.