• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can't Beat The Heat! (272)

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Ash finally beat Gary after all those years. I wonder how long it will take for him to beat Paul now.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
This was a very cool episode. We finally get to see the 2 pokemon on the covers of the very first games have a battle and it was good. I was actually rooting for Blastoise to win because he's my favorite pokemon but I guess he's not the writers. Overall great episode.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Wow, Ash was in a tight spot in the previous episode, but things got even in this one.

What I liked the best was the same as everyone else's opinion; that Gary revealed his Blastoise and Ash used Charizard to counter it. I loved the those two fought it out for quite a while. Charizard scorched the field and Blastoise took advantage of that to create steam.

It was a dream come true! Ash beat his lifelong rival in a fair and brilliant match. Epic. 10/10

BlueDragonfangirl

I just saw this episode funny enough.
I loved every bit of it.
One of the reasons for it, was the music.
I think whoever choose the music for the episode did a brilliant job.
I liked that Ash won too. He finally beat his long time rival. He did a good job too.
The ending was epic.
The only con I saw of it was the animation. Other than that, yah good episode, give it a 5/5.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Two parter was pretty good. I wonder if Blastoise had been used at the end if things would have been different? Well aleast Ash finally defeated Gary, I think this was their last league wasn't it?. Charizard VS Blastoise good fight, it was smart of him to burn the field lol.

Pikachu was funny when Ash told him he couldn't battle he was like "Unacceptable! I refuse to hear that!" lol

saar

Shiny Flygon
One of the best episodes ever. Gary finally battles against Ash in a full battle. Charizard this time won after he fell against the Dragonites, Dragonite and Dragonire, this time it keeps to stand and the one who fall is Blastoise.

That was said a lot but too bad Gary's Umbreon didn't appear. Could have been epic.

Sayho1234

This was the best battle in the entire series, proving to even top the Ash vs. Drake battle at the end of the Orange League!

G50

No longer posting
This episode was great! The Charizard vs Golem and Charizard vs Blastoise battles were the best! It was bizarre to see Charizard trying to lift up the megaton Golem for a Seismic Toss attack. I like how Charizard defeated Golem with a Dragon Rage attack, its only attack that isn't weak against Golem. The best part was the Seismic Toss attack to defeat Blastoise in the end.

97/100

One of the best battles ever. Only Ash vs. Chuck (because I love Bayleef, who single-handily defeated Chuck) and Ash vs. Clair (my favourite battle ever) can top this almost perfect battle.

However, this episode hurted my Bayleef-loving heart. I feel like Bayleef should've defeated at least one of Garys Pokemon. When I first saw this episode, the 3th generation did not exist (Milotic, my favourite Pokemon also didn't). Back then, Bayleef was my favourite.

This was the first time Bayleef was defeated after its evolution. If it loses for the first time, it should at least stand a chance or do something of importance (like against Harrison, it got beaten by Blaziken, but defeated Houndoom and did very well). This humilliation of Bayleef really hurted me and made me crying. But most of you will think that is stupid.

Aside from me being childish and stupid, great battle! Also nice to see Pikachu not battling, I think Ash treats Pikachu better than its other Pokemon, which is very unfair. Because of that, it was nice to see Pikachu not battling. Also, I have the feeling Gary deserved to win. And Garys Umbreon should've been used.

Last edited:

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I've always been curious at Gary's arsenal choice. It seems so unbalanced...why would he choose two fire types and two ground types? Weird.

The animation wasn't the best, and the battle between Charizard and Blastoise is not nearly as epic as I recall. Also, why didn't the field change??

silent_control

However, this episode hurted my Bayleef-loving heart. I feel like Bayleef should've defeated at least one of Garys Pokemon. When I first saw this episode, the 3th generation did not exist (Milotic, my favourite Pokemon also didn't). Back then, Bayleef was my favourite.

This was the first time Bayleef was defeated after its evolution. If it loses for the first time, it should at least stand a chance or do something of importance (like against Harrison, it got beaten by Blaziken, but defeated Houndoom and did very well). This humilliation of Bayleef really hurted me and made me crying. But most of you will think that is stupid.

Maybe it would have been better if Ash had used Bulbasaur. Blastoise was too experienced for Bayleef, being Gary's starter. The only Pokemon except for Pikachu/Charizard that could've matched Blastoise experience was Bulbasaur. But I guess that the writers didn't want to make Charizard's battle easier.

7threst

Well, continuing from the second part: Choosing Blastoise at this point already was quite a surprise for me. It definitely was a powerhouse of Gary - defeating Heracross, almost KO'ing Muk and defeating Bayleef before being recalled for Arcanine. Seeing Snorlax again and his power was nice for the overall balance, but Arcanine was pretty fast defeated though and the same goes for Nidoqueen.

Then Scizor was called out against Snorlax - which clearly shows how powerless Snorlax was against a super-fast Pokémon. Gary used a good strategy against Muk with using that Metal Claw and thus sending into the air. And thus Ash was forced to use Charizard and he was great to watch. But now its the opposite of what happened with Magmar versus Heracross - only seeing Ash KO'ing scizor with just one attack. That, to me, came over as an little unrealistic and sided but oh well. Now, the battle between Golem and Chairzard was something I thought was interesting done and it went head-to-head for a moment, but once I saw Charizard using Dragon Rage, it became quite sided again.

Now, the final - and probably most important for both Ash and Gary - showdown between Blastoise and Charizard. I think they did it perfectly and how it all ended with the Seismic Toss and hearing that epic music, they did it great.

The ending summarized it whole up. This battle was awesome - and my most favorite one in the entire original series. The happy was great in a way that the rivalry ended between them that started all the way back when Ash and Gary bot got their first Pokémon.

Haha. The announcer was shocked to see what was Ash doing with Charizard's Flamethrower. That was funny, it was a pretty intense battle. Gary's Blastoise was sure powerful. I do wish that there was Pikachu vs Umbreon though.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
this was a good battle the only downside about it was that ash won! gary should have won, why? because he knows how to catch a bunch of pokemon and train them to be the best they all can be by constantly rotating them, where as ash just neglects them and barely trains them. infact the ONLY reason ash won was because his charizard was the only pokemon who was constantly training thanks to being in charific valley all this time.
finally the ending was a bit of a downer since gary decided to essentially retire from pokemon training to become a pokemon proffessor a good goal but it happened too soon for my taste since we lost a competent trainer. sigh oh well on the positive side even after retiring gary still proved himself to be superior to ash in every way.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
This was one of the best battles of all time, Ash's strategy with Flamethrower was one of the most unique he's ever used :D

Blessed

A very excellent episode, nice to see that Pikachu didn't battle at all and gave the spotlight to Ash's other Pokemon. The Ash Vs. Gary final battle of Charizard Vs. Blastoise was just too incredible! One of my favorite episodes of the OS. It's so memorable, everything about this episode. Loved how Harrison was watching, shows what he's gonna be up against. I felt bad for Gary because he's so awesome but I'm happy for Ash. I loved Politoed & Psyduck cheering Ash the entire time, it's so adorable. Awesome seeing Delibird too, I wasn't expecting it.

NPT

Just a member
This was an awsome second half of the battle between Ash and Gary.
- Ash's Snorlax was awsome in this episode, I liked how he knocked Gary's Arcanine out by using Hyper Beam. Then It also defeated Nidoqueen.
-Muk put up a great battle against Scizor, but sadly it lost.
-I liked how Charizard OHKO'd Gary's scizor, his battle with Golem was awsome too.
-Finally Gary sent out his last Pokemon ... Blastoise!
- I liked it when Ash commanded Charizard to Burn the field using Flamethrower, It was a smart strategy.
-It was awsome when Charizard managed to defeat Blastoise by using Seismic Toss!
I'm glad Ash Finally defeated his long-time rival Gary, he finally showed him that he's better than him.
Later, Ash is up against Harrison, who sent out Kecleon .... a Pokemon from Hoenn region.
The battle will take place in the next episode.

zhixun

This was an epic battle and resembles the final battle in the first generation of the games. Shigeru should have shown his Zenigame early in the episode rather than now. Because I hoped to see the development from Zenigame all the way up to Kamex.