• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can't Beat The Heat! (272)

Zamin

It was a nice episode and Gary was very mature at the end. Just what are Team rocket up to?

We finally get to see the 2 pokemon on the covers of the very first games have a battle and it was good.

That's true. I never realized that until now. :)
What a finish to a truly epic battle between two rivals!

Glad Ash finally defeated who he wanted to defeat all this time! :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Ash's Heracross losing to Blastoise's Hydro Pump left a bitter taste in my mouth, but I liked that Muk tried to smother it. Snorlax beating Gary's Nidoqueen with Ice Punch was neat, but I screamed when both Snorlax and Muk were thrashed by Scizor. At least Charizard slayed three of Gary's Pokemon, and seeing Harrison's Kecleon at the end was neat.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This battle was great, though I felt that it could have been alot better if it was longer and if there were less one hit or quick knockouts as it sort of made the battle feel a little underwhelming. Charizard was definitely the best thing in this battle though as it took out half of Gary's team including 2 types it was weak to. The Charizard vs Blastoise match up at the end was pretty awesome as well, and it was awesome to see Charizard completely dominate Blastoise.
8/10

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This episode was a fairly nice one. Good to see Ash finally beating Gary and regain a friendly friendship again. Charizard did quite nicely at the end despite a bad type matchup against Blastoise.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Wow Charizard vs Blastoise was so epic that it overshadowed the other fights here for me. I'm glad Ash finally wiped the smirk from Gary's face and seeing Ash vs Harrison begin was a nice bonus. :D

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Good point, but I'm guessing those were simply his strongest Pokemon so he went with them instead of attempting more type diversity.

I didn't even mind that he used two ground types here although I did feel bad for Golem and Nidoqueen since they got defeated kind of fast to make way for Blastoise vs Charizard. ^^;

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Well this is the last time we really saw Gary as a trainer. He retired from that after losing to Ash, instead deciding to follow in the footsteps of his grandfather (who BTW may or may not have protested against the Vietnam War while in college, at least he does so in a fanfic of mine)

Gillachu

Banned
Blastoise versus Charizard was meh by today's standards. At least Ash won against his rival and moved on the the quarter finals...

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Well, at least Ash and Gary had a really awesome last battle. It was interesting that Ash kept losing Pokemon faster than Gary, but then ended up winning anyway with Charizard. At least one way or another this was a great end to Ash and Gary's long rivalry.

ZilverLox

Banned
The battle between Ash and Gary really surprised me, in a good way! I always thought that Ash would battle Gary with his weak team, using Totodile, Phanpy and Noctowl. But he had his evolved and heavy-hitter Pokemon on his team instead. Also nice to see Ash's Pikachu not battling. I think Ash treats Pikachu better than his other Pokemon, which is very unfair. Because of that, it was nice to see Pikachu not battling. But Gary's Umbreon should've been used and Gary deserved to win.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Rocket-dan's souvenir shop scam actually paying off was one of the few times in Jouto that we saw them succeed at something, and Satoshi's Lizardon versus Shigeru's Kamex made me ecstatic. Shigeru seemed to accept his loss gracefully, and it was nice to see Hazuki's Kakureon at the end of this episode.

Alloutℯ

Banned
When Ash won, I knew his rivalry with Gary was now officially settled and that made me extremely sad. Funny how Ash won even with the clear type disadvantage though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, I wonder why Shigeru owned Kamex instead of a Fushigibana. If he'd had Fushigibana, his match against Lizardon would've been a cool callback to Pokemon Red and Green.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
The episode was alright. I liked Nidoqueen losing to Snorlax's Ice Punch. Golem losing to one hit of Dragon Rage was lame, though. I disliked it when Blastoise just kept blocking Bayleef's attacks with Rapid Spin, and her loss to a mere Bite disappointed me. Seeing Ash come up with an idea to heat up the battlefield was brilliant. I liked Ash and Gary finally ending their rivalry.
7/10

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Satoshi's whole strategy of turning the battlefield against Kamex's favor was smart of him, even though you'd think that Kamex would've simply countered the heat with his water.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
It was a really nice battle! Pity Bayleef and Arcanine had to be eliminated so quickly, same with Golem. Also, Magnitude hitting Charizard? I get that in a normal episode, but in the league? Pity.

It really was a great battle though, and I loved Deliah. She's such an adorable mother. I know this happened in the previous episode, but when she told Ash she is so proud of him, I thought that was a beautiful moment. Pity she doesn't show up as much anymore nowadays.

The end of the episode was weirdly emotional. Gary taking the loss so well and clear respect being shown from both Ash and Gary, proving that all the teasing and bad-mouthing over the past was really out of respect, like Oak pointed out.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BulleDeChagrin said:
The end of the episode was weirdly emotional. Gary taking the loss so well and clear respect being shown from both Ash and Gary, proving that all the teasing and bad-mouthing over the past was really out of respect, like Oak pointed out.

I didn't take Okido-hakase's comment seriously though since Shigeru didn't seem to respect Satoshi back in early Kanto, and his snide remarks back then seemed to be genuine. I think he gained respect for Satoshi in Jouto, but that he wasn't very fond of him as a trainer before that.

Red and Blue

So this is Ash's only full battle in the entire series we're he didn't use Pikachu. I don't necessarily have a problem with it just find it interesting. Especially since Pikachu seemed to point it out.

At least Muk got to shine even if it didn't get any wins