• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can't Beat The Heat! (272)

Ugh so much OHKOs but Charizard vs Blastoise was great. On to Ash vs Harrison, and he starts off with a Kecleon? Interesting.

Gary should have used Umbreon instead of Scizor.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Next up on my Full Battle watchings. This is combining the two episodes together. Also had to watch dub

Pros:
  • Master Quest OP
    • Bring me back to the era of good dub OPs
    • Game music usage??? in my dub????
      • but there's still circus music too :(
  • Gary strats are nice
    • grabbing Tauros by the horn
    • Fire Blast body slamming with Magmar, followed by a close-range Flamethrower was sick
  • Ash strats
    • at least he tried to avoid Hydro Pump with a rock, too bad it didn't work
    • Muk absorbing Blastoise
    • Vine Whip jump
      • Really liked Gary stealing that with Nidoqueen after
  • The final play I thought was pretty good
    • Flamethrower on the ground to bait Blastoise to steam it up in order to get close range within the steam is the type of strategy that's sorely missed in more recent series
Neutral
  • The animation difference between Orange Islands and Johto is very noticeable
  • Why is Gary a computer hacker
Cons
  • Series of my "why did that one-shot" reactions
    • Tauros got one-shot omegalul
    • Why did Magmar get one shot by Megahorn????
      • Why was Heracross even alive after what Magmar did to it????
    • Bayleef got one-shot omegalul
    • Arcanine got one-shot?????
    • Nidoqueen got one-shot too??????
      • at least I think it was a one-shot unless you count Tauros chip damage via the blocked Horn Attack
    • Golem one-shot by Dragon Rage??????
  • No Pikachu in your most important battle so far smh
  • Why did Ash try Sludge Bomb vs Scizor
  • There's no world where Charizard should beat Golem and Blastoise
    • It's more BS cuz they explicitly mention the type disadvantages to make it look like more of a comeback
  • So Gary just stood there and let Charizard melt the field smh
    • Not really docking too much on this; he was probably confused and was stunned

I can see why people liked this battle - the final sequence was pretty good. The 1v1 probably ends up in my list of best 1v1s. But all the OHKOs were pretty bad TBH, and that's what I have to judge the battle on.

Big 4 are still better than this TBH, but I think I liked this better than Ash vs. Drake.

KibaRL

I can see why people liked this battle - the final sequence was pretty good. The 1v1 probably ends up in my list of best 1v1s. But all the OHKOs were pretty bad TBH, and that's what I have to judge the battle on.

Big 4 are still better than this TBH, but I think I liked this better than Ash vs. Drake.
Yeah, this battle was cool for its time way back in 2002, but hasn't aged too well 20+ years later. Still people cut it some slack because it aired in 2002 and back then battles from the OS era were known to not be too involved strategy wise or make much sense.