• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Can't get into chat? Read here.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
Hi, I've been trying to connect the chat recent, but I keep getting this this error:

Startup error : java.lang.Error: Unable to load interface pixx : java.lang.SecurityExeption: trust(then it cuts off from here)

Can anyone help me? I've downloaded mIRC from Cnet, but dunno how it works. The link to the mIRC on the Chat page is broken.

java is crap anyway
to get to #spp via mirc you need to add the server "irc.purplesurge.com" port 6667 and just join #spp (/join #spp)

Sachiel

Beginning Trainer
java is crap anyway
to get to #spp via mirc you need to add the server "irc.purplesurge.com" port 6667 and just join #spp (/join #spp)

That doesnt really answer the question clearly. How exactly do you enter the wifi chat at Serebii? Do you copy and paste what you said into the url address area and just press "Enter"?

How does this work? And the irc.purplesurge.com chat link doesnt work.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
That doesnt really answer the question clearly. How exactly do you enter the wifi chat at Serebii? Do you copy and paste what you said into the url address area and just press "Enter"?

How does this work? And the irc.purplesurge.com chat link doesnt work.

From where? mIRC?

you need to configure the server first, this is done by adding irc.purplesurge.com into the servers (Tools > options > servers > add) and then by typing /join #spp-wifi into the text entry field at the bottom of the window (where you would type any message)

TheDoctor078

I have the same problem as above, but it's the applet which isn't loading, so I cannot access any of the formentioned controls. Help!

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
I have the same problem as above, but it's the applet which isn't loading, so I cannot access any of the formentioned controls. Help!

Have you connected via the applet before? You might just wanna try reinstaling java, but if that doesn't work you should try mibbit, chatzilla or a dedicated IRC client

Caityluu

Trainer of the Cute
I can't join anything PurpleSurge IRC related. I get this:
[11:17] Connecting...
[11:17] Logging in...
[11:17] Disconnected from irc.purplesurge.com

any ideas?

TyplosionExplosion

Call me Frost.
I can't join anything PurpleSurge IRC related. I get this:
[11:17] Connecting...
[11:17] Logging in...
[11:17] Disconnected from irc.purplesurge.com

any ideas?
I'm having that exact same error when I try to go onto the chat, and when I try to re-connect, I keep getting the error, on both Wifi chat and regular chat. Anyone know how to fix it?

Edit: And now, I'm getting this message whenever I try to connect:
[15:21] Connecting...
[15:21] Unable to connect : java.net.ConnectException : Connection refused: connect

Last edited:
If you're still having that problem, try using PurpleSurge's applet: http://www.purplesurge.com/chat.html
(when you connect, type /join #spp or /join #spp-wifi)

If that's not working either, then it may be a problem on your end with respect to running Java applets, in which case I would recommend installing mIRC or another IRC program.

firepokemontrainer

What if it says I was banned, but I have done nothing to get banned?

Dualslasher

Electrocuted Flames
I get so confused with all of this techie computer stuff. All's I know is that when I try chat it doesn't work, and when I try to download that mirC thingimajig it says the page doesn't exist, then it tells me to send an email and I have no idea how to do that. I'm lost

Djura

99% chance to hit
Broken link. Plus SPPScript is craptastic to begin with. You're better off downloading the base mIRC client.

Last edited:

Istanbul

I can't log in at all. In fact, when I tried to ping irc.purplesurge.com, I got 100% packet loss. Any idea what's going on?

Dualslasher

Electrocuted Flames
Umm i was told to download a mIRC client. What's that?? HELP ME I REALLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO CHAT AGAIN. :(

Dualslasher

Electrocuted Flames
I seem to get the good old red x in a white box in the top right corner, and still mIRC apparently doesn't exist. Help me. I've even been on chat before, but now it doesn't work.

Dualslasher:

I wrote an install guide for a blank copy of mIRC somewhere else a while ago. Here's an edited version of it. Let me know if it works or not, I kinda wrote it a year ago. Click on the links contained to see picture examples of what to do at each step (the pictures are from mIRC v. 6.21, but 6.17 isn't much different).

You can get the most recent version of mIRC from http://www.mirc.com , but before recently, payment to use the program after 30 days was not mandatory. It's only 20 dollars, but most people just opt to use an older version instead that didn't require payment. Older versions can be found at http://www.oldversion.com/mIRC.html . I don't remember which versions required payment and which ones didn't (if anyone knows, please let me know and I'll update this). I'm pretty sure version 6.17 is your best bet, so I'll be using examples from it.

Download mIRC 6.17 from oldversion. Run the installer (a full install is not mandatory, but it doesn't eat up much hard drive space so you might as well just run with it). When it is done, launch the program. A window will come up prompting you to register, just exit out of that window.

Your client should now look like this:
1.png

You need to fill in all four of these fields, or else it will not connect you.
Don't worry, you don't actually need to supply your full name and e-mail address! The e-mail address field is actually a field that will only return 10 characters when accessed anyway, so just put anything you want there. Same goes for the Full Name field, except you can put however many characters you want.

Your nickname should be the name you want to use. The name cannot begin with a number, but it can have numbers and letters in it, as well as ^, `, -, _, [, ], {, }, |, and \ (but not /). Your Alternative is a place to put the name you would like to use if your first choice is unavailable.

Once you're done that, click on "Servers" (in the treebar on the left).
2.png

Don't worry about that stuff in the list. Just click the Add button, and fill it out like this:
Description: PurpleSurge: Random server
IRC Server: irc.purplesurge.com
Ports: 6667
Group: PurpleSurge

Leave Password blank.
Then click "Add".

You'll be taken back to the window, where you'll see "PurpleSurge" in the "IRC Network" list. Select it!

Click OK. The options window will close.

Next thing to do. At the top of the window, you will see a toolbar that looks like this:
8.png

Click the third icon from the left. The window that pops up will have two checkboxes. Uncheck "Pop up favorites on connect", but leave "Enable join on connect" checked.

Now, click the Add button, and a new popup window will appear. Where it says "Channel", put #SPP. Check the box that says "Join on connect". Under the Networks drop-down list, click "Add". A new pop-up will come up prompting you to select a network. Select PurpleSurge, and then click OK.
Leave everything else in the channel-adding popup blank, and click OK.

If you would also like to join #SPP-wifi automatically, repeat everything in the last paragraph, except replace #SPP with #SPP-wifi.

Now, in the channels window, click OK. You'll be taken back to your blank screen.

Remember the toolbar at the top? Click the first icon on the left, the one that looks like a lightning bolt.

Congrats, you're now connected! Next time you load mIRC, just click that button, and it should bring you right back without having to go through all this setup again.