1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Capsule Monsters, Pokemon of the 1970's

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by UberSorcerer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. UberSorcerer

UberSorcerer Well-Known Member

In Bulbapedia a manga, a precursor to pokemon, is mentioned Here
    "With the help of Ken Sugimori and other friends, Tajiri formed Game Freak and much later the design studio known as Creatures. In 1975, the precursor to Pokémon was serialized in manga form as Capsule Monsters; however, the manga was unsuccessful and was discontinued."

I searched around the net and got nothing but YGO CapMon stuff, but I am quite interested in it, does anyone have any pics of the Manga, information on monster design and style?

I am very suprised there are no pages on pokemon sites, let alone no threads on this subject.

*Note: Yes, this could go in Manga as it is a manga, but it is also the origins of G1Pokemon, and more about was edited and such when Nintendo got it(According to Bulba, Nintendo changed the name to Pocket Monsters from Capsule Monsters) would be located here, so as it is history, it would more fit in general.

2. killerjaw01

killerjaw01 ▼1.618▼

Sounds cool, I suppose the idea of a Pokeball comes from a capsule. Unfortunately I have nothing, but I can look for a few things.

3. Clash

Clash He's Back!

I vaguely remember this fact from a long time ago. I have no doubt that this is correct information. Would be cool to see what it was like.

4. killerjaw01

killerjaw01 ▼1.618▼

I found something!
    http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8991/poke01tl0.jpg
    Taken from this thread, alot of people on there do not think that Capsule Monsters ever existed, but most Pokemon fans knowe that Satoshi was working on Pocket Monsters

It's all very interesting, it would be cool to own even a photocopy of the manga

5. UberSorcerer

UberSorcerer Well-Known Member

Ok guys, after a few hours of searching, and alot of deadends, I got two pics, they are pokemon in production and are to small in my opinion, they are quite interesting, they seem to be photos taken from a pokemon expo or something, Satoshi looks more like a sprite, they are more... monstery, one seems to be a Tyranitar which posably means 2nd Gen and 1st Gen were indeed made together which explains Ep1 Ho-Oh. The other monster looks a tad like a Gyarados to an extent, realy, that is the closest I can think of too it, maybe like the snow pokemon that was never used, look up unused pokemon on Bulbapedia, it is yet another unused one, either that or it was highly moded.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit:

Bugger, beaten, good work ^^

6. chosen_one386

chosen_one386 Angel of Chaos

Wow... this is pretty interesting... I guess it took a while for the full idea of Pokemon to be worked out...

7. Now that's odd. Some of the Capsule Monsters look like current pokemon.

Capsule Monsters. Must play Capsule Monsters.

8. Beanie

Beanie <Joe Momma

Just think if Game Freak never changed "Capsule" into Pocket, Pokemon would be called "Cap-e-mon"

9. davidone10

davidone10 The new tuxedo look!

Cool, never knew that.

10. flyboy1308

flyboy1308 Coming Ta Town

Lol!
    Mother: Dinnertime!!!
    Kid: Not now!!! I've almost beaten Capemon!

11. Blackjack Gabbiani

Blackjack Gabbiani Clearly we're great!

I saw a Capsule Monsters issue at the Game On! exhibit in Chicago in 2005. I really need to get my pictures developed from that.

12. Korobooshi Kojiro

Korobooshi Kojiro Funnnngaaaaa

Looks like...Crapsule Monsters.. :p

Seriously, looks neato. I've been interested in prior-Sugimori work.

13. killerjaw01

killerjaw01 ▼1.618▼

Yeah please do and share it with us!

14. Kinrah

Kinrah Assassin Host

I didn't see anything like this at the Game On 2007 in London, although they did have a couple of planning sketches for Torchic and stuff like that.

Cap-e-mon... many different ways to pronounce it... everyone'd get confused from the get-go.

15. Ugobama

Ugobama Well-Known Member

OMG....How come this is so unknown? To be the start of the whole pokemon world...wow...

16. Pikachu1125

Pikachu1125 Rap Rocker

This is very interesting.

17. Villi

Villi Shimama!

I didn't know Pokemon had a predecessor. Someone should edit Wikipedia.

18. SpongeFreak52

SpongeFreak52 Shablagoo!

Wow, I'm surprised no one knew about this! I've gotta look into this one!

19. Michii

Michii :]

hmmm interesting. Congrats for informing me of this information

20. claona

claona #1 Qwifish fan

Very interesting, I never knew Pokemon hade a predicesor. I'll keep my eye on this thread. By the way, iddn't Yu-Gi-Oh have a spin-off series called Capsule Monsters? I don't think it ever left Japan though.